Obesity bucket list

Options
melissasue0317
melissasue0317 Posts: 338 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
I have no created a "bucket list" per se. But I have had several things in my mind that I have wanted to accomplish along this journey. To me this list is something that: I was scared to try, physically couldn't do, too self conscious, or afraid to fail bc of my size limitations. I have recently completed 2 of these. I really think I will make a true list though.

1. Wear a dress on date night and feel beautiful and comfortable.
2. Go canoeing or kayaking. I did this today!! No pictures since we didn't carry our phones with us

I am so thankful for my friend. She was so patient and tolerant of my fears. Fear of everything really. Lol. I had the best time. We had 2 Close calls with a down tree and then another area that was too rough for her comfort since we were in a double person canoe. (she's a seasoned kayaker) so we picked up the boat and waded/walked through a rocky area. Never tipped over.

Replies

• melissasue0317
    Options
    Forgot to add more. It was 8.5mile route/float along the Harpeth River in Tennessee. Finished in about 4 hours with a couple stops to chill along the way.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I have some less defined ones I posted as a blog last year. Might be time to update and revisit the list...

Congrats on your two accomplished items! Those are awesome!
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    MelissaSue.... How AWESOME are they. You rock.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Ha, went and found the old blog...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/my-dream-exercise-bucket-list-684500

It was exercise related. I really need to a do a life related one!!

Thanks for the motivation, Melissa!
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    I'm going to make a bucket list. It sounds like a great idea. There are a LOT of things I've avoided because of my weight that I'd like to get back to.
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    OK. Siting at work thinking about all the things I don't do right now because I am heavy is very depressing. But it definitely gives me something to work towards. Starting this very minute!!!! My bucket list includes but not limited to:

1. skydiving
    2. zip lining
    3. kayaking
    4. hiking
    5. biking trails (see nature for all it's beauty), but maybe do a bike to the bay
    6. multiple 5k's
    7. jog/run
    8. wear a dress out and feel flirty
    9. go to Ireland

I wore a dress in LV. I got so many compliments, but didn't feel good about me. Have to learn to feel good in the clothes I am in.

I was told by someone that the perfect weight for skydiving is 240lbs. So that goal is front and center. I also plan on getting out my mountain bike, dusting it off and riding starting this weekend. One mile at a time. One foot in front of the other.
  • allofme32
    allofme32 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Wow Carimiller7391 you are certainly adventurous!!

My bucket list includes the following:

1. Ride the roller coaster that I could not get on at 6 Flags (because I could not fit the security bar over my stomach and legs) :o
    2. Teach a Zumba Class
    3. Ride mountain bike on bike trails in Forest Park again (have not done since i was 21 years old)
    4. Go shopping in the regular size section as opposed to Plus sized
    5. Fit into my daughters size 8 jeans (borrowing several items from her closet - she will be horrified!! >:) )

I cant think of many other things but I am sure to take the time and create a long list for myself for motivation.

• carimiller7391
    Options
    Thanks @allofme32 .. Never even thought of the roller coaster. Add that to my list also. I'd love to go back to an amusement park. and Heck yeah!!!! shop in normal clothes again would be awesome.
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Got more to add:

13. water ski
    14. jet ski
    15. swim with dolphins in a wet suit
    16. ENJOY LIFE!!!!!
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Wow those are some adventurous goals. I look forward to hearing the stories of when they are accomplished!

I have surprisingly crossed several things off my list that I made over a year ago...at 265 lbs already down 30 from where I started.

1. Weigh less than at least one of my kids (now almost 20 lbs less than my oldest)
    2. Be able to run any kind of race (ran a half marathon a couple weeks ago)
    3. be smaller than I was in high school (achieved about 5 months ago)
    4. ride a roller coaster (earlier this summer)
    5. fit in a school bus seat/ small chairs in the kids class rooms (accomplished)
    6. Be smaller than at least 3 of my sisters (done)
    7. Shop in the regular department (done)
    8. wear a swim suit in public (wasn't pretty with the extra skin and still needed a skirt but did it)
    9. Have a healthy bmi
    10. Be able to ride the easy, intermediate and advanced mountain bike trails in one go (done)

So the only thing on there that I haven't done is number 8 and that is just a scale thing and I didn't realize how pointless that number really was.

Now I think I need to write a new list and number one thing on that list is coming to terms with the fact that I am smaller and stop looking at myself as I was back then. I still check the plus department first for clothes. I still take the long way around to avoid tight spaces. I see the excess skin and know there is less of me but I still can't come to terms that the reflection in the store window is me.
  • melissasue0317
    Options
    I love all these ideas!! I will try to start my own here soon but many of mine will be the same.

Roller coasters?! I haven't even tried in over 15 years because I was scared I was too big and didn't want to be called out.
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Wendy how awesome that you've accomplished so much. You rock! You are such an inspiration.
  • linzee32
    linzee32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I need to make a bucket list
  • cherrie1969
    cherrie1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I need to know if anyone has any suggestions on starting exercise.I have been gone for a year and have gained back the weight that I lost plus more because of life.I need to lose not for other's but my self I know if I do not do something.I will wind up bed ridden,right now I can walk and still do things,but I know if I keep gaining by body will give and I do not want this to happen.This weight thing is so hard for me I love food I do not like though going into bigger,and bigger clothes,huffing and puffing when I do things.My bucket list is this main thing to get healthier,to conquer going under 200 lbs,to conquer my food addiction,to feel better about me,to over come wanting food for emotional eating,to eat healthier and want to.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    @Cherrie1969 can I suggest you take up weights, its so good for your body shape and awesome fun
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I haven't made a list yet, but can see how motivating it could be. Let's see:

I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. We went to Universal Studios Theme Park a few years ago and I was excited to see the whole Harry Potter part of the park. I was really bummed out when I got there as I was too big for most of the rides. I want to go back there when I reach my goal weight and ride all of the rides I missed out on.

I'm originally from Colorado and would love to go back and hike a 14'er (14000 foot peak).

I have a pair of jeans from WAY back that I could wear again when I get to my goal weight. These jeans make my wife (back then girlfriend) crazy (in a good way). It would be fun to surprise her on a date night by wearing them.

I'll have to think of some more, but I like this idea!