Finding a exercise

Options
4rferris
4rferris Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
Finding a exercise that doesn't inflame the pain in my back. I was in accident 3 yrs a go destroyed all the muscle on my right side now I have arthritis in my lower back spin. I need to lose 30 pounds that I gain over the last 3 yrs. I was OK shape before. I used to do Zumba and p90x but was told not to do them kind of exercise any more+ I worked a hard labor job which I had to quite 4 month ago. now I'm really afraid of gaining weight . PS i'm 55

Replies

• Jobug8
    Jobug8 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My friend hs really bad back problems. The only thing she can do is walk, and even that is limited. I don't know how walking in a pool my do for you. Stretching is always good. I do wish you ll the luck. I see what my friend has to go through and it is not fun. Eating is the best and main part of losing and not gaining weight.
  • 4rferris
    4rferris Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. yes I do walking 4 miles first in the morning if weather permits. and I try to get a walk in after dinner. I was told not to run or jog. don't think I would try any way.
  • irisgal345
    irisgal345 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You are getting a lot in with 4 miles everyday! Way to go! I'm trying to improve my walking time but my issue is my back going numb after a while.
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    @4rferris I'm really impressed with the amount of walking you are doing. I was not able to walk before I lost weight and even now cannot walk that far without causing problems. It is difficult when we can no longer do as much exercise as we are used to doing but it happens to many of us and it takes a new mindset to be comfortable with what we are able to do. A mindset I am still working on after 28 years. Lol. It sounds like you have lots of exercise for you lower body so maybe concentrate on upper body either sitting or even lying down. It may take some experimenting to see what works and what doesn't. I wish I could share my therapeutic yoga instructor with you. She is so awesome at working around injuries. Many days I do all my yoga lying down.
  • Kimmie103073
    Kimmie103073 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have found anything to help yet or not but I do pelvic thrusts every morning and every night. I have Arthritis in my lower back and it helps keep my from getting stiff. When I start doing them I can hardly lift my butt off the floor but by time I am finished my butt is up and the only part on the floor is my shoulders and my feet. I like this exercise because you don't need any equipment other than yourself and the floor. Hope you are feeling better.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    walking, pool stuff-swimming and aerobic and jogging, yoga-there are many different styles
  • e9196tep
    e9196tep Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Walking 4 miles is great! You should be very proud of your accomplishment! I injured by lower spine over 10 years ago and had a surgery that failed. It was devastating to no longer be able to train like I used to. I've had numbness and nerve compression issues but physical therapy helped me very much. If I didn't have rheumatoid disease I feel like I could have overcome the back issues through determination much like you. All I can say is keep up the fantastic work, keep your carbs in the 100 or less range and stay the course. Consistency will prevail! Friend me. I'm 49 1/2 years old. Was also very active. I hope my good days are still ahead of me!
    Evette

• kklinetobe76
    kklinetobe76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Give yoga a try. A good teacher can help you poses that can help your back and show you modifications if needed.