Old habits...die hard.

Options
JillC878
JillC878 Posts: 9 Member
I have lost my way and need some support to get me back on track. I am still losing, but just barely. I am 2lbs away from losing 100 and those pesky 5 or so pounds have been hanging on for dear life. I am working out every day for at least 45 minutes. I believe that is the only reason I am loosing. God knows it is not my diet.

I am popping by the offices with candy jars a lot. My office has a candy jar, but I hate what I put in it to keep me from nibbling. However, there are 2 or 3 others that tend to have what I like. I have not been using the food diary and that is just being lazy.

Also, the emotional eating is so had to keep at bay. Old habits are creeping in. For example, my husband it out of town for the weekend and I have been eating crap. I know it is wrong because I feel like it is secret and I would feel terrible if anyone knew what and how much I am eating.

I feel like I am falling apart. Tomorrow is another day and I will get up and try again.

Replies

• ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you know what you need to do. I would suggest going back to basics. Make sure you are focusing on protein and water. Track everything you eat, even those candy bars, so you get a real picture of your calorie intake. You've come this far and I'm sure you can get back on track and finish with those last few pounds.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I have lost my way and need some support to get me back on track. I am still losing, but just barely. I am 2lbs away from losing 100 and those pesky 5 or so pounds have been hanging on for dear life. I am working out every day for at least 45 minutes. I believe that is the only reason I am loosing. God knows it is not my diet.

I am popping by the offices with candy jars a lot. My office has a candy jar, but I hate what I put in it to keep me from nibbling. However, there are 2 or 3 others that tend to have what I like. I have not been using the food diary and that is just being lazy.

Also, the emotional eating is so had to keep at bay. Old habits are creeping in. For example, my husband it out of town for the weekend and I have been eating crap. I know it is wrong because I feel like it is secret and I would feel terrible if anyone knew what and how much I am eating.

I feel like I am falling apart. Tomorrow is another day and I will get up and try again.
    You are medicating with food. Can you work with the therapist in your bariatric group? They specialize in addiction behavior.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Yes, old habits do die hard. I understand the feeling of eating "in secret" as I used to do that a lot and still sometimes want to. The difference is now I see that for what it is and can usually resist. What helps me is logging everything I eat. There are times I don't eat something because I don't want to have it on my food log for my friends on here to see.

This is a hard journey, but so worth it. Mangopickle is right that you could benefit from a support group. It does help to get support from those who are walking the same path you are.
  • Malesha1726
    Malesha1726 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I relate to you 100% but my husband doesn't really care if I am eating like crap. It's like a party when I say I want junk. Add me girl.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    When I want sweets and I know that it's not a good day for them, I chew flavored gum. There are a TON of yummy flavors. Wrigley's has a line of dessert gum that is good---the flavor does not last a long time. Another thing that may help is indulging in a Greek yogurt in whatever flavor you love. It will fill you up and get that craving out of your mind. Keep working hard & in the right direction. :)
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    That's interesting vanilla Greek yogurt is like a desert to me too.
  • jenRRT
    jenRRT Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am right here with you! I'm over a year out and have lost 100 lbs and feel comfortable where I am so I've started eating crap again. It started at Halloween and hasn't stopped. I haven't lost or gained since August. I'm really bad about logging too! I see it as a chore now instead of a tool. Everyday I tell myself, you will not eat bad today. But I always let myself down. I'm gonna try setting small goals for myself with rewards once a week. Like if I only have 1 serving of sweets or chips this week then at the end of the week, I'll go get a pedicure or something. We'll see if that works.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    jenRRT wrote: »
    I am right here with you! I'm over a year out and have lost 100 lbs and feel comfortable where I am so I've started eating crap again. It started at Halloween and hasn't stopped. I haven't lost or gained since August. I'm really bad about logging too! I see it as a chore now instead of a tool. Everyday I tell myself, you will not eat bad today. But I always let myself down. I'm gonna try setting small goals for myself with rewards once a week. Like if I only have 1 serving of sweets or chips this week then at the end of the week, I'll go get a pedicure or something. We'll see if that works.

Don't take me wrong here but I think you have a psychological issue going on and food is not just to sustain your body, it has more meaning than that for you. Whether it is emotion, self medicating or what. I'm glad my Dr. has a psychologist as part of the team. For me eating made me feel good, eating was my friend and comforter. We have found that I was self medicating with food. I'm now working on why I needed to medicate part of it was I was so heavy that I had diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease and a stroke. All the medical problems and the associated medications made me impotent and my self esteem was in the gutter. After WLS I'm making better food decisions I've lost 80 pounds, diabetes and high blood pressure are gone so is the medication. My erectile dysfunction has gone away I'm happier and like myself again. This is the best thing I have ever done.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The surgery was on our stomachs not our heads and yes those old habits do die hard. I am post op from Sleeve surgery done in June 2012 so I am rolling up to my 3 year anniversary. It does get harder after you have hit your personal goal and then try to keep it off, believe me I know! I hit my personal goal in April 2013 and did good for a while but since Fall of 2014 I have struggled and have gained some back. I am still skinny but not where I was last year at all and am worried my summer clothes aren't gonna fit as good. I do log everything on MFP the good and bad and have for over 3 years. I also track all my workouts too on here. It is tough. A WLS program person who was further out than me told me it would be but until you have been there you have no idea.
    Try to stick to the basics 80 oz of water at least a day, 80 grams of protein a day, exercise 30 min a day, take all your WLS vitamins and go to those group support WLS meetings if they have them.
    Good luck!
  • mbyers1966
    mbyers1966 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 2 years out and had been at my goal lost 95 pounds...I went on a cruise in February, the first since my surgery and have since put on 15 pounds!! how did this happen..oh I know not logging, and eating what I like etc...well I feel your pain! I am here to start fresh get back on track. I am still 80 pounds lighter but for some reason this bit of weight makes me feel like I did at 270!! This is my goal right now! "A WLS program person who was further out than me told me it would be but until you have been there you have no idea.
    Try to stick to the basics 80 oz of water at least a day, 80 grams of protein a day, exercise 30 min a day, take all your WLS vitamins and go to those group support WLS meetings if they have them.
    Good luck!
    [/quote]

• johnlatte
    johnlatte Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm three years out. I never hit my goal weight. I needed to lose 100, and I lost 60. Since that time I have gained back 25. Its tough and I am disappointed in myself. I never really changed how I ate, just ate less. I still eat too much crap but am working on it. I am devoting a year to get down to goal weight. Someplace I haven't been since high school (I think). But I am determined to get there.
  • jbirch601
    jbirch601 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I logged into this today. I am 10 months out and over the last 6 weeks my appetite and cravings for carbs has come back with a vengeance. Needing to get back to basics and treating my overeating as the addiction that it is. It's like when I hit the 100lb loss, my brain kicked in and I started the self sabotage that has haunted me for years.
    I have my support group tonight and back to my therapist tomorrow. I WILL be completely honest with both. My addiction lies to me and tells me I'm ok when I'm not. When I believe the addiction, I then lie to everyone else. Thanks for this forum to be honest and call myself out!
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am over 2 years out and I am up 15 pounds and I can feel it and see it. I am getting back to basics. It is so easy to get off course but this is a constant fight for the rest of my life. I will NOT go back to what I was before!!!!
  • rdt210
    rdt210 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 3 years out this month... got under my goal (went from 276 to 163) and maintained that for a year and half. The past year I started going back to old habits and as a result put on 25 pounds. I really hate that obsessing over what I eat has crept back into my head - it was so nice to have a vacation from that! I exercise regularly (boot camp and elliptical), but the food is out of control. My weight gain started just after I went on birth control, so I am now off of it and will see if that makes any difference. I'm also going to start tracking again and weighing myself once a week. I have way too many cute summer clothes that I need to get back into!!
  • MillieA53
    MillieA53 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 2 1/2 years out, and lost 80, but over the holidays gained back 10. Told myself I was trying to eat better, but in reality I was not, and therefore, had not lost any of the extra weight. So i then had a long talk with that inner "sabotage voice" and have committed to myself to be honest about what I eat and when. We all worked so hard to get where we are, remember the liquid diet, and the soft food phase, etc??? If we can make it through that, we can do this and take back our health! I track everything I eat, no matter what, and walk every single day. I agree with the back to basics. All your posts were very inspiring to me! Thank you !
  • jennyb319
    jennyb319 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I relate to you 100% but my husband doesn't really care if I am eating like crap. It's like a party when I say I want junk. Add me girl.

Omg! My hubby is the same way! It's not that he's not supportive of my decision to get healthier, he just doesn't get motivated to help me make better decisions lol