"Sleep" Eating

Options
mae7365
mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
I've been experiencing some unusual events since my surgery and I'm hoping there is someone else out there who shares my concerns.
More than once I've had food "disappear" overnight. Like an empty doughnut box was on the counter and the doughnut was gone. I find jars of peanuts or candy wrappers on the coffee table and have absolutely no memory of having eaten them.
My husband goes to bed long before me and he swears it's not him. So that leaves me!
I do on occasion take a sleeping pill and I have a history of sleep walking since I was a child.
Any thoughts or suggestions on this strange phenomenon?

Replies

• GlenErin9
    GlenErin9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to get rid of all those sweets so that if you do eat when sleep walking you only have healthier options available.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I would also let your doctor know-they may want to check it out more thoroughly.
  • mae7365
    Options
    Tonight I'm not going to take any narcotic sleep aid. My daughter told me stories of how I was acting last night and I don't remember any of it. So it's time to end this craziness. I may be awake all night, but I will be in control of my actions.
    And I did bring this up at the last support group. My nutritionist was going to ask the psychologist about it. I'll be curious to hear what he has to say!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Sounds med-related. Maybe your dr. can switch you to a different sleep aid?
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That sounds like Ambien. My ex-husband used to take it on occasion. The directions say go to bed immediately after taking the meds, but sometimes he'd stay up. He'd be so unsteady and out of it I'd have to help him walk the 10 feet to get to our bed. He also wouldn't remember anything much after taking the pill, but fortunately didn't have the symptoms you do. Apparently, some people have been known to go out driving and have no recollection of the event. Talk to your doctor and maybe there's another option you can try if you need the help of a pill here and there
  • mae7365
    Options
    It's the Ambien. I used to take it a few years back (higher dose) and I did drive once and thank God my son was in the front seat and could steer the rest of the way home. It was really scary. I've also baked cupcakes, carried on in depth conversations etc. I thought that going to a lower dose would eliminate some of the side effects. I guess I'll have to change drugs OR go directly to bed after taking it. Thanks for the post - good to know I'm not the only one who experienced such severe reaction to the drug.
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's one of those drugs that just seems to really do what it's supposed to ...and then some! I get restless leg syndrome problems intermittently but haven't gotten any medication for this since it's not an 'all the time' thing. I've taken a gabapentin on occasion for this and it knocks me for a loop. Yet other drugs have minimal effect. It's amazing how differently one drug will affect each individual person