Upping your calories for weight loss?

Options
murphyraven
murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
So my nut has told me several times I can eat up to 1500 calories a day. I resisted thinking that 1200-1300 was plenty but my weight has been coming off so slowly the last two months. I am going to try a 2 week experiment to see if eating more will help re-energize my weight loss. I walk an hour a day 5 days a week and 2x a week do a more intense workout (60 min of kickboxing). I want to be able to lose at least 1lb a week as I have about 45 lbs left to go to get to goal. I am 6 months out.

My questions is have you upped your calories and found it helped you continue to lose weight? How did you find ways to add healthy calories in your diet?

Replies

• TryingTeresa
    TryingTeresa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just recently it was suggested that I do the same. So last week I tried & upped my calories to 1400-1600. Kind of scary, but within one week I lost 7 lbs. I know that won't stay the same, but I ate more than ever & lost. Just bigger servings broken into 5 eating times. I also really watch macro numbers - I'm now on a 50 percent carbs, 30 percent protein & 20 percent fat. This has been difficult - seems like I get more fat & protein than carbs - but I'm trying. Also these numbers may end up being tweeked - just trying to do something different to help me lose the last 45 also.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    seems like I get more fat & protein than carbs - but I'm trying. Also these numbers may end up being tweeked - just trying to do something different to help me lose the last 45 also.

Don't mean to "steal" the thread... but I have found higher fat, moderate protein and low carb has been a great way to go. Suppresses hunger, I get to eat REALLY yummy stuff, and I can have higher calories without gaining (I am at maintenance right now). I usually weigh around 166-173 and can have between 1800-2200 cals per day without gaining and with only moderate exercise.
  • TryingTeresa
    TryingTeresa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think I agree - You know when I look back at my last weeks numbers I'm okay with higher fat & higher protein numbers than carbs. I didn't eat any unhealthy fats. Carbs (unhealthy breads & chips) and soda where my go to foods prior to surgery, so keeping carbs low (not worrying about natural carbs in fruit or even veggies cooked in healthy ways) is definitely something that's ok as our bodies start to need more calories to lose/maintain.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist just upped me to 1200 calories to try and restart my weight loss. I'm having a hard time getting in 1200 a day and I know part of that is mental as I'm still mentally stuck in the thought that you have to lower calories to lose. So I'm going to monitor this thread to see how the rest of you who are upping calories are doing. I am incorporating Thaeda's advice on lowering carbs and upping the good fats along with the calories. I've been doing this for a few weeks now and no weight loss so far. Not giving up yet either.
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm still between 700-900 calories a day and I haven't lost anything in months. Can't seem to restart my weight loss. I'm wondering if maybe i should up my calories to the 1200 like my NUT suggested... I'm going to follow this thread to see if it works.
  • leraejoy
    leraejoy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am at a loss I am 1100-1200 my issue is constipation. If you don't poop you hold it in longer not only does your body gain from the food itself but from the crap.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    I am incorporating Thaeda's advice on lowering carbs and upping the good fats along with the calories. I've been doing this for a few weeks now and no weight loss so far. Not giving up yet either.

I spend a good bit of time on low carb high fat board (LCHF) and much of the talk over there re: no weight change after increasing cals. or even seeing a gain initially is because the body is healing and learning how to metabolize differently. I don't know if you are going so low carb as to be in ketosis- and I am not sure that is even necessary, but there is the possibility that it could take 3-4 months for your body to register scale changes as your metabolism adjusts to the shift in macros. As in everything, YMMV (your mileage may vary). :)

I love how determined you are. I know is can be easy to forget, so allow me to gently remind you how unbelievably far you have come and how much your life has changed for the better because of your commitment to your health. And look at you , lately- going to the gym and everything! Just WOW!! :)<3
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    I am incorporating Thaeda's advice on lowering carbs and upping the good fats along with the calories. I've been doing this for a few weeks now and no weight loss so far. Not giving up yet either.

I love how determined you are. I know is can be easy to forget, so allow me to gently remind you how unbelievably far you have come and how much your life has changed for the better because of your commitment to your health. And look at you , lately- going to the gym and everything! Just WOW!! :)<3

Thanks Thaeda! I so appreciate your continued support and encouragement! I am a prime example that not everyone gets to goal within the first year or even two. That some of us lose slower and stall often. And that's OK. But I also want to be a prime example of getting there eventually!

• Thaeda
    Options

Thanks Thaeda! I so appreciate your continued support and encouragement! I am a prime example that not everyone gets to goal within the first year or even two. That some of us lose slower and stall often. And that's OK. But I also want to be a prime example of getting there eventually!

And you absolutely WILL get there- I have no doubt! :)<3