A newbie in too much pain to exercise today

Hello. I am a newbie to this group. I am arthritis in most of my joints from years of working in a nursing home. Lots of lifting and tugging took a toll on my joints.
I worked on my feet a lot with flat feet, so I have had prescription orthotics (arch supports) in my shoes for many years. Now I have plantar fascitis (tendonitis) in the bottom of my right foot.
I currently work at a dry cleaners as a shirt presser and standing in one place on a cement floor for an entire 8 hour shift.
Most days, I have a tolerable pain level. After working an 8 hour shift on tolerable pain days, I am able to mow the grass with a push mower, hoe the garden, ride my bicycle, OR any other physical activity for about 2 hours. But occasionally, my pain level is extreme. On the extreme pain level days, my right leg and foot are the areas of the worst pain and are swollen. So, I rest, keep my right leg and foot elevated and can't push myself to exercise at all.
Any suggestions to stay active on extreme pain days?

Replies

• DSFfit
    DSFfit Posts: 133 Member
    Hello, Im new here too. Have been dealing with widespread joint pain for a few months and don't have a diagnosis yet (been waiting for an appt). I suspect its rheumatoid arthritis based on my symptoms. I went from being able to walk 5 miles a day and then doing 30 to 40 minutes of HIIT. To doing 1/2 to 1 mile and then too sore to do anything else all day.
    All I can say for advice is listen to your body. If you hurt then rest. Maybe do light stretching or yoga.
    I tried swimming but that messed me up for over 48 hours. If you exercise through pain you risk putting your self further behind with injuries.
  • WendyCMA2006
    WendyCMA2006 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you Dchaya!! I thought I should listen to my body and rest too!!
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    I've got oodles of trigger points and muscle imbalances in my neck/back. I've been having a rough week or so with pain in the 5-8 range, but can manage light stretching. It helps me feel accomplished to get something in, and helps break up tight spots, so I like working it in and it ends up helping the pain. If your activity hurts you further, it's not healthy to push yourself to do it! Rest or keeping it super light are your best bets
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I'm going to say just move thru what you can but don't feel it necessary to exercise if it's too much pain.
    we all have our pain tolerances. me, I can push thru most anything, but a papercut will stop me in my tracks.

sometimes we need to rest so we can be more active another day. on rest days, either eat at maintenance or work on the calorie deficit on the kitchen side.
  • plpgrl
    plpgrl Posts: 2 Member
    I have extremely RA and wasn't able to exercise for a long time. I finally found a good Dr. and am currently taking a different medication that helps so much. And I'm back to myself and working out. When I was in a lot of pain I would ride the bike because there was less weight on my feet and more tolerable. Try different machines and see what you can and can't do. Good luck.
  • WendyCMA2006
    WendyCMA2006 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you to Dchaya, lalepepper, moyer566, and plpgrl for your advice, support and encouragement. I went to my doctor and was given Prednisone for arthritis swelling and pain. My pain and swelling was extremely severe. I missed 4 days of work because I was unable to do my job.

I am much better now and have returned to work. With the support and advice of a physical therapist friend, I have been doing low impact exercises such as an elliptical machine with the resistance on a low setting. This week I purchased an stationary exercise bike with handlebars that move like a ski machine for only $31 at a thrift store. I have been using it for 15-30 minutes per day depending on my tolerance that day.

Thank you again ladies for your encouragement, advice and support!!

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited August 2015
    @WendyCMA2006 , can your physiotherapist make a recommendation to your boss re adjustments to your working conditions? Your PT should be able to advise on how to manage your pain during your workday. Is there some reason you really have to be standing on the cement floor? I don't know, off the top of my head, what about getting an adjustable-height stool with a foot rest and working over a slightly lower surface?