Edamame and PCOS?

Options
Are they bad for PCOS? I believe I read that they can be hormone disruptors but then some other source stated they are fine. They taste good and I like that they have a lot of protein.
What do you all think, avoid them or ok to eat?

Replies

• Uneeknitter
    Uneeknitter Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Everything I have heard is to avoid them for PCOS. In fact, I was told to avoid ALL soy products.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Anything SOY is horrible for folks with hormone issues and is also horrible for women, because we are delicately balanced than men (my opinion)... So in Luna bars used to give me horrible gastro distress. Some soy makes me moody, some makes me sick, and some does nothing I can tell... I will use Tamari soy sauce (I know I could try coconut aminos, but I've yet to find them in my local store)...and really, that's about all the soy I use that I know of, but even that is rare and in stir fry once or twice a month, usually. I avoid soy like the plague.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    No, I really don't. I think it was lowcarbdietician.com or someone had some homemade ones that looked pretty simple to make, but I don't have any protein powder on hand. Personally, I prefer nuts on the go, as I'm done with prepared foods and am working hard to stick with real foods. I keep beef jerky, nuts, and super dark chocolate in my purse...
  • Uneeknitter
    Uneeknitter Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    LLNN122 wrote: »
    That's interesting I started eating Luna bars just recently and noticed some stomach issues that I haven't had for a long time already. Ugh I liked the taste of them and they were a good snack to have on the go. Do you know of any filling bars that won't cause those issues ?

@LLNN122 The only bar I found that doesn't disrupt my system badly are the Think Thin bars.

• ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough... I've read that they are horrible BUT I eat them pretty much daily and I get a period on schedule every month Only when I am eating edamame... If I don't eat it I go months without a period... I've tested this theory over the last 2 years and it's consistent for me. When I want to start, I start eating edamame again and my cycles regulate
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Means you are likely deficient in estrogen, since soy is a photo-estrogen...
  • risslake
    risslake Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Luna Bars also upset my stomach. I've never had any problems with soy beans but I also only really eat them at Japanese restaurants. I try to avoid soy products -- soy mike and vegetarian soy burgers especially.
  • KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Have you ladies tried quest bars? They are packed with protein and fiber. I like them a lot although they are expensive. Some flavors are better than others also. I like Cinnamon bun.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I haven't had Quest bars, but they use a lot of sugar alcohols if I understand correctly, and those things are he!! on my digestive system... I've been told that once in a blue moon they are okay, but otherwise, they should not be purchased often. I've heard of many folks putting half of one in the microwave to warm it a bit as a dessert treat.