Weight Gain??

Options
Ladybug1250
Ladybug1250 Posts: 366 Member
Ok ladies, i'm feeling a little discouraged! So i started this last week and was just doing a trial run of the food portion only. We ate out a few times and i was far from perfect, but i was better that usual. I packed my lunch for work and when we did eat dinner at home i followed the plan so overall it was better. This week i started serious on Sunday. So now 3 days in (workouts too) I'm up in weight? I tend to weight myself everyday so i realize there is some fluctuation, but i'm really feeling disappointed! I mean after a whole week and a couple days i should be down at least a little and i'm up .5 from my top weight; 2 lbs higher than when i started. I don't understand!

I will say that i feel like it's a lot of food, especially the fruits and veggies. I'm usually short one of each per day but the book says don't sweat it, so i haven't! I'm in the lowest calorie bracket also. Has anyone had this happen? What gives?

Replies

• randilast
    randilast Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bf6l060xhqu2.png
    This is what my weight graph looks like for the past 30 days. I started to weigh myself every day as well because it's a reality check for me. Like you, I'm not perfect with the food part of the program. I started this program on the 11th and you can see where I had a spike in my weight as well. I think it's normal! Your body is adjusting to the workouts, new food and amount of water you're ingesting. A half pound is not that much gain, so you should see it start to go back down the longer you stick with the program.
    You've got this @Ladybug1250 We believe in you!
  • rjpittner
    rjpittner Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It's really important to keep in mind that your muscles retain a lot more water than normal when they are growing. That's why when you first begin working out and you've got those sore muscles, it's really common to first gain a pound or two. Just make sure you are getting in a gallon of water a day (or as much as you possibly can!) and try to keep away from the scale for the first few days to avoid getting discouraged! I also gained when I first started...now I'm down 6 pounds!
  • Ladybug1250
    Options
    Ok thanks so much to both of you! I feel better! I was wondering if it was something like that with the muscles cause of starting a new workout.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yes, your muscles do retain water upon first working out. However, weighing yourself every day is setting yourself up for failure. I can start off the day at 126 pounds and finish it at 130 by the end of the day because of all the food and water in me. Everyone should weigh themselves once a week only, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. This will give you a better grasp on whether you are gaining weight, losing weight, or maintaining weight. This is why I lose two pounds a week.
  • rjpittner
    rjpittner Posts: 70 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It's ironic that I was on the other side of this just a couple of days ago. But now I've had to step away from the scale. I'm assuming it's because the sore muscles are back and I haven't been drinking quite as much water, but I'm gaining weight again! AH! It can still be so discouraging even though I know better than to think it's because I'm overeating or being sedentary or something...I just felt SO unmotivated and blah this morning trying to work my way through Cardio Fix. I actually used modifications, which I rarely do! Hopefully this funk goes away soon! :-( I'm hiding the scale under the bed until my final weigh in on Monday (which is also the day I'll be heading back to school, so it will be all kinds of filled with excitement)! Even if the scale is telling me otherwise, I KNOW I've carved out this belly of mine! Or at least I hope...looking at my before photos makes me want to hide in a potato sack! My arms (which have always been notoriously chubby...my cheerleading coach dubbed me "Chubby Bunny" in high school :-/) also seem to have some definition to them now. I'm so excited to take final measurements!
  • randilast
    Options
    Good luck @rjpittner You'll do amazing!
  • CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    This is a well timed post for me too! But because I fell off the wagon for a solid week... Planning to start back hard core in the next couple of days.

I agree with the above about the muscles and weight gain. I personally didn't have much of that effect (during my first 2 week stint) but from looking at blogs, I hear that's really common. A lot of coaches recommend only doing a starting and a final weight for this reason.
  • Ladybug1250
    Options
    yea this past weekend was a bit of a bust for me too. We ate out alot and had take out then take out leftovers for dinner. I didn't measure. :-( I also didn't work out for three days, ughhhh. Buuut i was active this weekend with other stuff so i used that to justify. I was pretty stressed alot this weekend, 4 year old girls are toooooough! so i was stress eating and not caring. Now i care and i'm a sad, but today is a NEW day. I'm picking up where i left off with workouts tonight!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I took a week off of 21 Day Fix. I got my hair straightened so I couldn't sweat or get it wet for 72 hours. On Thursday night I was finally able to exercise so I went running on Thursday and Sunday. I walked around a lot on Thursday through Sunday. I followed the eating plan although a bit more loosely. For example, if I wanted two kind bars and a sweet potato that day, I didn't care that it meant it was 3 yellows and I was only allowed to have 2, as long as it fit into my calorie budget. I still lost 2.1 pounds with the week off. Today I walked 5 miles already and I'll be starting round 2 right now.
  • randilast
    Options
    WARNING: this will be a long post.
    This is for myself but also because I've had friends say that my own struggle and fight to get healthy has inspired them to get moving. At the beginning of this year I set some goals for my weight loss. There were 5: stop drinking soda, do Zumba twice a week, log every meal into MFP, see my personal trainer once a week and lose 80 pounds by the end of October.
    I still have soda, but it's maybe a couple times a month rather than every day. I haven't logged every meal for the past few months but I'm on a streak right now PLUS I've made more friends on MFP which equals more support. I don't do Zumba twice a week but I am doing something at least twice a week. And I'm nowhere near where I need to be to lose 80 pounds by October.
    But I was reminded by someone I follow on MFP and Instagram, someone who has already lost the amount of weight I want to lose, that it's a hard journey and it takes time. I weigh myself every morning (or try to) as it's a reminder of what I'm trying to change. There are different thoughts on this and mine is: I see what I weigh, I see changes from good stuff and bad and it reminds me to keep going. Sometimes I get discouraged (alright, often) but this morning while logging on MFP I decided to look at my weight graph for the past year and the big picture is speaking to me.
    Each line equals 10 pounds. I've been locked in this 5 pound range for a while and it's been frustrating me, trying to break out of it. But when I stepped back and looked at the year, I've actually accomplished more than I thought I did. I'm not done and obviously there were spikes when dips would have been better but - I'm still working. I WILL break out of this range and then continue on my downward trek. Just needed to look back and see how far I've come before continuing this morning.90xrudziyoh7.png
  • CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great post! Inspiring..... Excellent reminder that we are (or should be) making life long changes in our health and abity to properly nourish our bodies. Thanks for sharing your journey!