Talk to me about Protein Powders...

Options
symba1130
symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
I am sure this has been discussed several times, but I have a specific issue with mine.
I am currently using Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey.
I find that if I shake it in a blender bottle with milk/almond milk/water I can take it down no problem.
If I blend it in my blender/nutria-bullet it seems to make my tummy upset. (too much air I assume). I love to add fruits and veggies in to make it more of a "meal".
I was also introduced to Shakeology and have tried it both ways, shaker cup and blending it and I don't have the upset tummy issue. BUT...I don't want to continue with Shakeology. Im sure "its the healthiest, blah, blah", but I just was hoping for something I can buy locally or online without it costing a small fortune.

SO...with all that being said, what protein powders are your favorite? And do you notice any difference when blending them?

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the upset tummy doesn't come from mixing in fruits/veggies? Fibers that you don't chew might be harder to digest to a degree, so maybe the protein powder isn't to blame here.

I'm lactose intolerant to a degree and the regular whey I buy (Bio-X nutrition) doesn't cause me any issues. I do have trouble with casein and acesulfame potassium makes a hole through my stomach lining and gives me heartburn (on top of coming back in my saliva when I have too much of it), so I'm no fan of ON's stuff. Casein will give me mild gas and bloating but I don't often go for it anyway. There are lactose-free blends out there (Magnum Quattro comes to mind, although it's a bit pricey) and typically isolate will have barely any at all so if that's your issue, there's a fix.

I do know adding an egg and a banana to a scoop of protein powder is a recipe for a bit more gas, but I've had the same result without the powder. Since it makes amazing microwave cakes tho, it's something I can live with ;)

(It figures I spent so long of my life not liking eggs, now that I can tolerate them, I can't digest them -_-')

You could make your own "shakeology" by just having a protein shake and a greens drink that you bought separately for cheaper overall, really xD

So, I don't know if that helps but that's my experience with it. Results may vary.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I use EAS 100% Whey in chocolate - first one I've found that I can actually drink with water or whole milk or everything in between by shaking, or blending with banana/peanut butter.

ETA - I get it on Amazon with subscribe and save for cheap
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I use EAS Vanilla complete nutrition mix because I like the taste and it's pretty easy to shake in a blender bottle.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I use EAS Vanilla complete nutrition mix because I like the taste and it's pretty easy to shake in a blender bottle.

I tried a jar of the chocolate EAS Complete and couldn't take the fiber-y taste. I couldn't do it on its own (even with milk) - had to blend it with PB and banana as well. Have you tried both? Is the vanilla better? I liked that it had the extra fiber/vitamins.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I love ON Gold Standard Whey in Extreme Chocolate milk - when I add it to soy milk it tastes like a Wendy's Frosty, especially with a blend it with some ice. Before that I was using ON's 100% Soy since I'm lactose intolerant. I switched because it was just too expensive and the whey doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I found the soy a lot more smoother and easier to digest.

I haven't noticed a difference when I blend the protein powder. I also have ON vanilla ice cream and I blend it with frozen fruit and yogurt, sometimes I make it into ice cream. But I also have a Blendtec so my smoothies are super smooth. That blender is powerful enough to turn cold veggies things into hot soup.
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Labrada lean body for her by Jamie Eason in vanilla ice cream. I can mix with water, almond milk, add fruit, peanut butter, cocoa powder, and it works really well. Actually, I like all Labrada products-powder, rtd, and bars/cookies. I usually order it from bodybuilding.com but I think vitacost may also have it.

Right now I'm working my way through EAS chocolate. Not loving it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i take this very macho-packaged stuff called six star. prefer the whey protein to their 'muscle building milkshake' or whatever it's called - not as sweet. it's a little chalky and a little metallic-aftertastey (to me). but ii freeze stupid quantities of plain yogurt in ice-cube trays, and then use those along with a scoop or two of frozen berries to kill the last hints of 'i'm drinking something i'd be kind of disturbed by if i let myself stop and think about it.'

works for me and i'm a picky eater so once i discover something i can live with, i'm not very motivated to experiment. a whole tub of something that gives me the urps isn't a happy idea. and knowing me, my inner parent would go all 'you bought it, you use it' on my *kitten* no matter how awful an impulse buy was.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Looking for opinions on using protein powders in general. I've been leaning towards using regular foods for my intake but I noticed that my protein powder does contain bcaa's and creatine so maybe I am missing out by not using pp recently....?
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I tried a jar of the chocolate EAS Complete and couldn't take the fiber-y taste. I couldn't do it on its own (even with milk) - had to blend it with PB and banana as well. Have you tried both? Is the vanilla better? I liked that it had the extra fiber/vitamins.

I like the flavor of the vanilla because it isn't too sweet, but have never tried the chocolate. I like the extra good stuff too, but always wonder if it's ok since I just buy it in the grocery store, not like GNC or a supplement store.
    Edited because I messed up the quote thingy.

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Actually, BCAAs are present in protein from foods as well, and "added" BCAAs are technically what they call amino spiking which boosts the protein content without it being "complete" protein. A lot of people got upset about that and there are lawsuits. Creatine and glutamine also will boost that protein content. So it looks like added goodies, but it's also a way to make you believe you're getting more than what's actually in there.

Truth is, it's probably not that big of a deal (and a way for some companies to boost their prices for (not having added aminos) or whatever) because most people that use protein powder get plenty of protein from real foods as well and it is a convenient snack and hey, some of them taste okay. But I do like going for canadian companies over the big guns personally. Also, cannot stand (nor digest) acesulfame potassium as a main sweetener and try to avoid it like the plague for the most part. So that brand would be out. xD
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input Krok!
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback ladies! So far I have been sticking to just using a shaker cup to get the protein in as needed. will have to checkout some of these other brands you have all mentioned.