Joining the Club

Options
meglo91
meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
Hi there.
So yesterday I got the shock of my life when I took a pregnancy test and found that I was expecting my very, very unexpected third child. I'm only about 5 weeks along.
My husband is excited, but I'm nervous.
For background, I'm 23 and have two kids already, ages 4 and 2. Before kids I was slim and athletic. After having 2 kids in three years, I am toting around about 30 extra pounds. Over the past year I've gotten into powerlifting, which has greatly reduced my body fat, if not my actual weight. And now -- pregnant again. In many ways it feels like scaling a cliff and then being pushed back down.
My goals:
1. Gain minimal weight during pregnancy. I know I'll gain some, but I want to keep it to the bare minimum. I have more than enough body fat to spare, so I'll be concentrating on getting the proper nutrients and vitamins while maintaining a relatively low calorie diet.
2. Stay strong. I've got about 8 or 9 weeks to go in the first trimester, and I intend to make them count. I want to get even stronger and fitter and drop some body fat if possible (again, I am at least 34 or 35% body fat and have it to spare). It's putting money in the bank for later, when I'm able to do less. I plan to lift throughout pregnancy, just at reduced weights.
3. Maintain cardiovascular conditioning. For the first 20 weeks at least I'll be running. Later on I'll have to slow it down and probably switch to the elliptical machine, but for the next few months I'll be trying to maintain my pace and mileage.
4. Get adequate sleep and rest in preparation for what I know is coming -- very little sleep and rest. This is also important because I usually develop hypertension in pregnancy, and I'd like to keep it to a minimum this time.

What about everyone else? What are your goals?

Replies

• alleycat55
    alleycat55 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy! I'm currently 12 weeks pregnant with #2. My goals are to gain minimal weight (I gained over 50 pounds when I was pregnant with my daughter, who is now 4) and to maintain the healthier habits I have established since December. I started exercising regularly and cooking healthier meals and lost about 26 pounds before I found out I was pregnant.
  • meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    meglo91 wrote: »
    Hi there.
    So yesterday I got the shock of my life when I took a pregnancy test and found that I was expecting my very, very unexpected third child. I'm only about 5 weeks along.
    My husband is excited, but I'm nervous.
    For background, I'm 23 and have two kids already, ages 4 and 2. Before kids I was slim and athletic. After having 2 kids in three years, I am toting around about 30 extra pounds. Over the past year I've gotten into powerlifting, which has greatly reduced my body fat, if not my actual weight. And now -- pregnant again. In many ways it feels like scaling a cliff and then being pushed back down.
    My goals:
    1. Gain minimal weight during pregnancy. I know I'll gain some, but I want to keep it to the bare minimum. I have more than enough body fat to spare, so I'll be concentrating on getting the proper nutrients and vitamins while maintaining a relatively low calorie diet.
    2. Stay strong. I've got about 8 or 9 weeks to go in the first trimester, and I intend to make them count. I want to get even stronger and fitter and drop some body fat if possible (again, I am at least 34 or 35% body fat and have it to spare). It's putting money in the bank for later, when I'm able to do less. I plan to lift throughout pregnancy, just at reduced weights.
    3. Maintain cardiovascular conditioning. For the first 20 weeks at least I'll be running. Later on I'll have to slow it down and probably switch to the elliptical machine, but for the next few months I'll be trying to maintain my pace and mileage.
    4. Get adequate sleep and rest in preparation for what I know is coming -- very little sleep and rest. This is also important because I usually develop hypertension in pregnancy, and I'd like to keep it to a minimum this time.

What about everyone else? What are your goals?
    Right. So. I'm 34. Not 23 as I accidentally typed. Good grief. I would be the world's most haggard 23 year old at this point.
  • LisaLu618
    LisaLu618 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We are in very similar spots! I just found out on the 18th that I am also expecting baby #3! I'm not for sure yet, but I'm probably between 5-6 weeks along. My two kids are 8 and 4, and I am 30 years old (soon to be 31!). The only difference is that I have never been thin or athletic. I have always had the endomorph body type and - being in nursing school - I had put on some additional weight over the last year. I had FINALLY gotten into an exercise program and started using MFP religiously this summer when BAM! Baby. So I am starting this pregnancy heavier than my other two and I'm pretty nervous about my weight this time around. I am going to continue counting calories at a -0.5 lb/week rate and continue with low-impact exercise, unless my doctor says otherwise. Both with huge flexibility for how I'm feeling! I have the same goals that you do, minus the running. Good luck to us both!
  • joysyear
    joysyear Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, Thought I'd join you ladies in the #3 baby club. Found out on Tuesday that I'm actually 10wks and 5 days pregnant a lot further along then I had even thought. I'm 41 and will be 42 a couple of months after LO in born. My last pregnancy I was put on bed rest due to cpp so I gained about 50lbs and since I breastfeed for a year after that I didn't lose a single pound!
    So this time around i'm doing things different. Watching what I eat and working out. Looking for some preggo friends to encourage and to stay accountable to as well. Congratulations to us all