Less Than a Week Until Surgery

Options
GellisIndigo
GellisIndigo Posts: 55 Member
I've been on my pre-op diet for 8 days now. My life has been protein shakes made with water, protein gelatin, protein soup made with chicken broth, sugar free jello, and sugar free popsicles. I'm not allowed anything else.
Weight loss on this diet stopped 4 days ago.
Now I'm nervous that weight loss won't happen after I'm sleeved in 6 days.

Replies

• sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I was there 4 months ago. I'm now not quite 4 months out and am down 53lbs from the day I walked into the hospital. Many of us do experience a stall a few weeks out from surgery while your body adjusts to the huge change you've put it through. Give it a week or 2, and it will start up again. Follow your doctor's plan, drink your water, and move your body, and the weight will come off. I promise. :)
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had another veteran give me this bit of advice when I plateaued at 2 weeks post. Your stomach has been reduced in size, as long as you are following the doctor's directions, your body does not have a choice but to lose the weight. What is happening at this point in time, and again post surgery, is that your body is trying to protect itself and go into starvation mode. The fears that the surgery is not going to work is common. Feel free to friend me. I am three weeks post tomorrow (Wednesday).
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I always feel so badly for people who are giving lengthy liquid diets pre-op. :( Hang in there dearie! And yes, you WILL lose weight post op as long as you follow the guidelines. No worries!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 4 years out and stalled often all through the last 4 years. In fact I am in a stall right now. Stalls are temporary. Trust the process. Follow the plan and you will lose weight. From my experience and from watching other friends/family who have had WLS, the only way this doesn't work is if you go back to old eating habits and don't exercise at all. As long as we make permanent lifelong changes, we can lose it and keep it off. You are right at the beginning, don't panic yet. Just keep doing what you are supposed to and you will be fine, I promise!
  • Athollass
    Athollass Posts: 39 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hang in there the weight will come off postop! Keep following your diet as prescribed and you will lose. My bariatric nurse explained when you stall it is because your brain perceives the decrease intake as starvation and goes into conserve mode. It can be frustrating but once your body adjusts you will continue to lose weight. :) Friend me if you like.
  • GellisIndigo
    Options
    Thank you all, so much!
    I truly appreciate the support. Friend requests coming your way for those that offered. My husband is fantastically supportive, but of course he doesn't truly understand.
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Do you need to have just clear liquids for a number of days prior to surgery or are shakes okay with your physician? Sounds like you're doing beautifully :)
  • GellisIndigo
    Options
    It's MediFast type food. Mix with water or chicken broth and consume. There are protein shakes I make with water, protein gelatin I make with water, Chicken Pasta protein soup I make with broth, and so on and so on.
  • GellisIndigo
    Options
    Ok, so, it sure is good to be home.
    Surgery was Aug. 10.
    Rushed to ER on Aug 11/12 (middle of night) with leak.

JUST got sent home yesterday (evening).
    Too tired to get into details now, but wanted to update.

• nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oh no! I hope you are feeling better and on the road to recovery!
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Omg! That sounds so scary... I'm hoping you're alright now and dealing well with the recovery.
  • GellisIndigo
    Options
    Ok. So I'm home and trying to get my feet under me.
    I have a home health care nurse coming a couple of times per week. I'm in two forms of IV antibiotic and all of my nutrition currently comes via TPS (IV).

I had a leak. My husband called the dr and was told the pain I was experiencing was "normal". EMTs and ER staff said the same thing. Then they saw my scans.
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you're okay! The IV antibiotics will do the trick to clear up any risk of associated infection. Is there a way you can describe what pain you were feeling vs. the normal pain you initially had along with any other symptoms you were experiencing? I think it would be helpful for those of us who are heading into surgery soon. Sometimes a certain problem will have a weird symptom we might not associate with the condition. Get your rest and don't be intimidated by learning how to do the antibiotics - it's really easy once you do it and rarely has any issues. Be strong!