Surgery scheduled! Questions!

Options
AceOfSpada
AceOfSpada Posts: 47 Member
What can I expect after surgery? From the minute I wake up from surgery to discharge planning. I have my pre-op visit on Sept 21st but I thought I'd ask the people who know best. YOU! :)

I was told I'd be off work for 2 weeks.
Is no driving true?
What else should I know? Or suggestions for things I should but and have in house before surgery besides shakes?

Ahhh! Excited and nervous.

Replies

• sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I didn't drive at all for the first week, and slowly started to again during the second. I'm a SAHM, and did the surgery 2 hours from home in my parent's hometown so I could have a week to rest before going home to my kids. I went home after a week, but was still easily tired and needed a nap every day for that second week. I was very glad I had my MIL through my second week as I wasn't anywhere close to normal yet. By the start of the 3rd week, I was bouncing back, so I think 2 weeks is probably a good bet to take off of work.

I wouldn't buy a ton of shakes before your surgery- have a few, but what I bought and could tolerate before my surgery made me sick afterwards because it was too sweet. You don't know what your body will (and won't) tolerate after your surgery, so I'd have a few different brands/samples to try, and then buy what works for you. I did lots of Sugar free Carnation instant breakfast powder in protein enhanced skim milk the first couple of weeks.

You will want a good, non straw water bottle to sip out of 24/7 postop. Comfy pants are another big thing, 3 of the 5 incisions will sit right on/around your waistband, so soft banded pants are needed for a few weeks. I think I was a month or more out before jeans were comfortable again. My feet swelled to epic proportions for about a week postop from all the fluids they push, so looser shoes are another thing to be sure to have.
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    Ok great info thank you!
  • kc82
    kc82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well... once you wake up you will definitely be groggy... maybe in a little pain or discomfort. This will subside. As you become more alert, you may want to lay in bed and not move, but DO NOT do that. If your nurses are not insisting on you moving, ASK them if you can get up. The sooner you are up moving around, the BETTER you will feel... I promise. This will also help alleviate any gas pains you may have from any lingering gases they filled your stomach cavity with during surgery.

Once you're up and alert and have moved around, they'll start giving you trays of liquids like broth, jello, and water. You will be hesitant to eat / drink any of it, but make sure you do. Sip slowly.

Also, they will give you that contraption that you put in your mouth and take deep breaths... make sure to do that as often as possible. It will help prevent any infection from settling in your lungs, which can be common after surgery. I personally know someone who did not do this and got pneumonia... definitely not something you want to contend with fresh out of surgery.

In between all that sipping and breathing machine, continue to walk, walk, walk. If you feel tired, rest. Then get back to it. You don't want your muscles to get sore and stiff on you.

When your doctor discharges you (for me it was 2 days later), make sure you have a comfortable place to sleep at home. For me, my bed did not work for the first two weeks. I sat sleeping up in a recliner since it was easier for me to get in and out of.

I got home from the hospital on a Thursday and believe it or not, I drove on Friday (only because I had no choice). I was fine, and because I wasn't in too much pain, I wasn't taking too much pain medication. I would recommend waiting at least a full week though.

The two weeks off work sounds about right. I took two weeks and was feeling great when I went back. I did experience pain in my one incision for a total of 5 weeks. It was the larger incision that my stomach was removed through. It worried me at first, but eventually went away. Doc said it was totally normal.

Sinderstorm above is absolutely correct about the protein shakes. Your tastes will change seemingly right when you wake up from surgery. So definitely have a variety of shakes on hand to try.

One BIG thing I will tell you to do (if you didn't know this already) is to take Miralax powder with your drinks when you get home from surgery. I personally was not told to do this and I wound up in a VERY painful situation as my bowels had remained paralyzed from the surgery. Therefore I developed a blockage because I could not go to the bathroom. Ended up back in the hospital for this very reason. Had I been told I needed to take a mild laxative to stimulate my bowels, it would have prevented this. I know... TMI... but if it can save someone else some discomfort...

I will leave you with one final thought... protein is hard to get in right away. DO NOT get discouraged. It will come with time. DO NOT be too eager to jump back in to solid foods; I would recommend staying on the shakes for as long as possible. Your hunger WILL return and you will eventually be able to eat more solid foods. There will always be time for this food, so take advantage of the first year! I personally stayed on Shakes for 9-10 months after surgery (typically 1-2 per day depending) and got the rest of my protein from lean meats. I have lost nearly 150 lbs and contribute a lot of my results to that. I know several individuals who were eager to get back into eating solid foods and their weight loss has been below average.

I am 2 years and 3 months post-op / Starting weight ~ 311 lbs / Current weight ~ 160-170 lbs (I fluctuate throughout the month).

Any questions, feel free to add me or message me. I'm always happy to help out a fellow VSG'er. :)
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yeah - some flip flops or slides to wear, a lightweight but long sleeve comfy shirt (bonus if it has a big front pocket like a hoodie) and loose fitting pants. Also a shot glass or some dixie cups are more encouraging to try to drink out of sometimes. I'd have stuff ready for your full liquids week as well as some purees so you don't have to worry about shopping. I did drive after about 5 days but that's because I was off the painkillers - that's really why you can't drive in general. Get all the stuff you want into an easily accessible and organized place. If you have a bag of books you want to read, you may realize afterward that it is heavier than you are supposed to lift. Blanket, pillow, etc. Best thing to do is psych yourself up for getting up, walking around and drinking asap after surgery. At first they wouldn't let me walk on my own because drugs + anesthesia = fall risk. So every 3-ish hours throuout the night I'd bug the CA to come walk with me down the hall. After a while he was like "I don't mind, it's a good break from paperwork and other duties." A little notebook you can keep in your pocket to record your drinking and walking successes the first week or two can be encouraging and build good habits.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I was off work 1-1/2 weeks after my surgery. I have a desk job. I felt ok by then but still tired easily. Needless to say after 8 hours of work, I needed a nap. lol This continued for about the first month or so following surgery.
    Take loose fitting clothing to wear and flip flops or slides.
    Stock up on SF popsicles and protein shakes.
    Every surgeon is different in what they have you do, but my surgeon only allowed clear liquids for the first week then I moved to full liquids to include protein shakes to meet the 60 grams of protein minimum a day. He only wanted me to use shakes to supplement my protein intake after I was to the pureed stage and totally wanted me off of them by 2 months post-op. He wanted me to get my protein from food not liquids. I personally don't like protein shakes so I had no problem with doing away with them that early on.
    I only had pain meds in the hospital. I didn't need them at home. I hurt a bit, but was more nauseated than anything. Do get some gas meds though as the gas pains from the surgery can be horrible.
    I didn't drive for a week, but but I really didn't even leave my house from the time I got home from the hospital until I had to go to my one week followup appt.
    I only had one incision (about 2 inches directly through my belly button). Recovery from that wasn't bad at all.
    For the first week or so concentrate more on getting your fluids in and walking a bit. Even if all you can do is get up and walk around the house for a few minutes every hour or so.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    When you're in the hospital, start walking right away. Do what you can, go back and rest, and then get right back up and go at it. You'll help yourself in the healing process, and you're help yourself get rid of excess gas. Also, whenever you do get up, grab a pillow and push it against your abdomen. It helps things hurt less when you're exerting energy to get up. Loose fitting clothing and pants that either ride a little higher or a little lower are good, as your incisions on your waistline will hurt a bit. The largest one, where they will remove the portion of your stomach from, should hurt the worst and that should be either the bottom one, or near the bottom. Loose fitting pants!

Don't overshop before you have the surgery. I thought I would be all gung-ho and prepare everything. I couldn't eat all the jello I made, nor eat the yogurt I bought. It was too much food. If you have someone that can run out and get you a 4 pack of yogurt every once in a while, depend on them for a bit instead of stocking up your fridge with things your stomach might not like as much after the surgery.

Get yourself a digital scale if you don't already have one. When you're dealing with such a low calorie post-op diet, you want to make sure that you are getting all the nutrients you think you're getting. Measuring in volume leads to a lot of mistakes. Measure in grams.

Tips for getting in your protein: Gelatin sheets are 6g protein per, and you can put them in hot liquids like broth and soup. I may be mistaken, but I even feel that you can melt them down with liquids and then freeze them in your ice pops. Worth a shot! Unflavored protein powder (Isopure makes one) can be put into your yogurt, soups, and even savory sauces down the line when you're eating more. It means that you can hit your protein goal for the day by eating only 2 yogurt cups. That makes a huge difference when getting things down is still hard.

For your water, make sure you get yourself a water bottle and sip throughout the day. Ice pops and flavored low calorie drinks are good, too. You need to ensure you're keeping yourself hydrated, as dehydration is a top reason for readmission.

I initially took 2 weeks off work, but my recovery wasn't going super well. I had to request an additional week, and even then, I knew I shouldn't have gone back to work until 4 weeks after the surgery. I just wasn't ready. The general feeling was exhaustion, nausea, and pain in the largest incision. I started to feel incredibly useless. I couldn't open doors, I couldn't open lids or jars, and I couldn't even do the dishes cause I'd get lightheaded. Take it slow. You should have someone to help you if you can't do things. Start trying to get used to this now because while a rougher recovery isn't common, if it does happen, it takes a big emotional toll on you. Naps are king, by the way.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You will need to discuss your post-op plan with your surgeon. Not everyone's is the same. Mine was totally different from KC82.

When I woke up in my room after surgery they waited until I was able to stand before having me start walking the halls. My surgeon requires 2 nights in the hospital. I was not allowed to have anything at all for the first day. No water, no ice, no nothing. I had one dose of pain meds. I had a drain in my stomach and I had to wear these wraps on my legs that massaged my legs all the time. They came in every 4 hours to check vitals, draw blood and give me a heparin shot. I had 6 small incisions from 1/4" to 3" and a 1/2" where the drain was. I was not allowed to put on my own clothes but they did let me put on underwear. I had to wear the hospital gown otherwise. I was allowed to wash up in the sink but not shower.

Day 2 I had the swallow leak test. I got the first swallow down and they took the picture but then I got totally nauseated and they couldn't finish the test. So I wasn't allowed to have anything until my surgeon came in around 4:00 p.m. Then I got 2 oz of ice chips or water every 4 hours.

The morning of Day 3 I got to start on a protein shake. I had to be able to drink 4 oz and keep it down before I could go home.

I didn't have any pain meds once I got home - I didn't need them. I was totally, totally, totally wiped out exhausted for the first week. I couldn't have driven if I wanted to. I would have passed out at the wheel. I had no problems with constipation and didn't take anything for that. And I had to use a straw to drink or otherwise it wasn't happening.

I took the first week off from work. I work from home full time so the second week I worked from 10 am to around 3 pm and then I was wiped out and had to take a nap. It wasn't until week four that I felt more back to normal.

I was on protein shakes, broth, jello, and other liquids for 5 days, then soft foods for 5 days and then full solid foot on day 10. That's my surgeon's plan and they are all different. I was eating chicken, steak, pork loin and zucchini and yellow squash at day 10. My surgeon does not allow his patients to stay on the protein shakes for very long. He wants people eating real food and getting used to that as quickly as possible.

So every surgeon will give you a different plan - follow whatever yours gives you and you should be fine.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I too was off two weeks. No kids at my house, so that wasn't an issue. At the hospital, once they took out the IV pain meds (which I really didn't need after the day of surgery and just made me want to sleep) I really only needed my jammie pants (cause you know your behind hangs out of those wonderful gowns) and my Birkenstock sandals to walk the halls in and my personal pillow. The afghan I brought to work on and the book to read I never got to. If I wasn't visiting with someone I was walking or napping.

I had a very hard time with the protein shakes they insisted I drink, way too sweet and thick. If I had known about that part before, I would have asked the doctor if I could have something more along the lines of Unjury chicken broth. It was so bad they kept me an extra night because I wasn't getting the nutrition they wanted me to. I finally convinced them to let me go home to my chicken and beef broth, promised that if I couldn't get a certain amount down in 24 hours I would come back. I was fine once I got home and could drink the broth. I needed no pain meds past the second day from surgery, so was able to get in a lot of slow walking every day. I was told no driving just the first week unless I was taking the Vicodin. Since I wasn't taking anything, it wasn't an issue.

Recovery was really quite easy once I got to where I could take my normal pills for my acid reflux and such. Frankly, having my gall bladder remover 30+ years agao was much harder.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Adding a few more things for you: Agreeing with pawoodhull, don't overpack for the hospital. The only things I needed was yoga pants, clean underwear, clean socks, slippers, basic toiletries, and my own pillow. I didn't fully put on my own clothes until day 3 when they unhooked my IV, until then I wore a hospital gown and yoga pants. I never once pulled out my laptop or my kindle while I was there. I was sipping, sleeping, or walking all the time.

If you don't have one, consider investing in a decent quality stick immersion blender with a removable blade. You're going to be mixing and pureeing a ton during the first couple of weeks, and it is worth having a good one that is easy to clean and can be run through the dishwasher.
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    We all have different stories. I went to the hospital at 5am on surgery day, released 1pm the following day. Pack light, I brought my cpap so I could hopefully sleep

My surgeon gave me the freedom, within reason and following the no lifting and such restrictions, to resume activities.

I felt well enough drove to a meeting of my surgery centers support group 2 days after surgery, I was back at work after a week.

I would advise to follow the dietary plan to the letter and sip, sip, sip water. It took me the entire day after surgery to drink a 20oz water, 32oz the next, 64 within a couple of more days.

Get an inexpensive pill cutter for meds that can be cut.
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Everybody covered things very well. However, I do have a few things to add. Before VGS, I had never had surgery before in my entire life, not even a tonsillectomy. Every odd pain or sensation I felt made me terrified that I had torn my stitches. I was alright, just anxious. Just follow your surgeon's orders and you'll be alright.

Also, the drain they put in you is one of the weirdest gadgets ever. It really doesn't hurt too bad when they remove it, but be mindful not to bump it while it's in you. That's rather uncomfortable.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Really good advice here!

The only thing I would add is if you bring a CPAP, make sure the team knows it is there. I was in recovery and slowly coming to when the nurse came over a few times to shake my shoulder because I wasn't breathing well. The third time, my foggy brain realized I wasn't wearing my CPAP and I managed to mumble to her that I needed it. Once she found it (it was on the shelf under the gurney I was on), I put it on and everything went smoothly after that.

The next day was walk and sip, walk and sip. I got over 10k steps in the recovery ward and was happily out of there the next day!

Good luck!

Rob
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice from everyone! My surgery is in 15 days, and my biggest concern is work. My friend and I are both having surgery the same day. We did this for the support and because we're both self-pay with Dr. Ariel Ortiz in Mexico. I've read so many positives about that whole situation I have no concerns with this piece of things. The problem for us is we are partners in a business and do record review and coding for home health agencies as self-employed contractors. I could be fine giving up the income for a few days, but unfortunately if we don't do the work, the agencies can't submit their bills and they need to keep cash flowing. There isn't anyone to cover for us, so I'll be in the hospital the first night and then need to get back to work that next day. Hopefully, we'll both have one of the smoother experiences without nausea. Otherwise, we'll be drugged up and sending them some really interesting, spacey reviews! It's so interesting how different physicians use such different pre/post-op diets. My doctor is one of those with the slow transition to food. I spoke with a vegan dietitian who gave me excellent ideas about using my Nutribullet to mix tofu or seitan with various things like bullion ahead of time and then freeze in ice cube trays that hold one ounce in each cube. Then I'll be able to reach into a bag and pull out a different variety of things ready to go. I think the more options I have ready for me and planned out the more likely I'll be able to keep to the diet and get the correct nutrients in. I'm really looking forward to getting this done and starting my new healthy life! Thanks again to all of you for being so supportive and willing to share all of your knowledge/experience!
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was in the hospital the day of surgery and 2 more following that..after surgery I was up walking about 2 hours after I got into my room and walked every hour for 15-20 min, except to sleep at night. I had a blood clot in my leg on a previous surgery and wasn't taking even the slightest chance f getting another but also because it felt better to be moving, because the gas pains in your shoulder area are very uncomfortable.

I was very nauseous and they had me on 4 different meds to try to control it. They gave me ice chips and then small sips of water after dinner time the first night..they all were uncomfortable to try to get down...I asked them for warmer water and it was much easier to sip on. So for the rest of my time in the hospital and through the first week, I was doing warmer fluids it felt better..decaf tea, warm chicken protein broth.

I had tried many protein drinks before I had surgery and found 2 I really liked..couldn't handle them after, they were too sweet. And I had serious smell issues and couldn't tolerate the smell of almost any of them when I would get it close enough to my mouth to drink..my Nut told me to get a cup and lid from a gas station make it in that , let it sit open to air out then put lid back on and drink slowly with a straw. It worked.

My surgeon sends people home on a full liquid diet so I was taking in room temp sf jello, fat free cream soup and warm protein broth, sf/ff pudding, and Greek yogurt for the first 2 weeks after surgery. Of course a small yogurt would be a full day and nights food since you're taking in such a small amount.

Good luck with your surgery and your new life journey! Feel free to add me to your friends if you'd like.
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    Thank you so much! I am seriously thankful For your input. Thank you for the well wishes. I pray everything goes fine. If you don't mind please add me! I can use the support and would be happy to help support anyone else going through this.
  • Keikix3
    Keikix3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh I am so glad I found this post. The information you all have given us is great stuff. I'm going to go get a digital scale, coffee cups from the gas station, some gas meds . miralax,and a new nightgown or something! Reading these posts gives me more confidence that I can really do this!!! Thankyou everyone.
  • skattersIA
    skattersIA Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had a very "easy" surgery and recovery. I never did have problems getting my liquids or protein shakes down. But... because of that, I may have overdone it. About week 3, I started feeling hungry all the time. Starving. Even after I had just eaten. I finally called the doctor on week 5 and said that I didn't think it was normal. I had gastritis - an inflammation in the lining of my stomach. I went on antibiotics for a couple of weeks, and it got much better.

Everyone else has summed up things pretty well. Just know that if you are experiencing "hunger" in those first few weeks, it is not likely real hunger, and get it checked out!
  • TTDish
    TTDish Posts: 9 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't know if this link will work, but I'm 4 days post-op, and I've been recording videos on YouTube since a few days pre-op. Most of my videos are pretty short, but I did post a 20 minute overview of my surgery from check in to discharge :) This is one of my shorter videos, making a funny face, but 2 days post-op. If you want to find my channel, it is called "Trisha's Sleeve Story." I checked, and it comes up if you Google it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aHSJ2mj5I0

Good luck to you in your journey! I'm only 4 days out, so I have lots to experience yet!!
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    TTDish wrote: »
    I don't know if this link will work, but I'm 4 days post-op, and I've been recording videos on YouTube since a few days pre-op. Most of my videos are pretty short, but I did post a 20 minute overview of my surgery from check in to discharge :) This is one of my shorter videos, making a funny face, but 2 days post-op. If you want to find my channel, it is called "Trisha's Sleeve Story." I checked, and it comes up if you Google it.

Good luck to you in your journey! I'm only 4 days out, so I have lots to experience yet!!

Thank you for sharing. I'm so nervous about surgery. Hopefully all will go well.
  • TTDish
    TTDish Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    AceOfSpada wrote: »
    TTDish wrote: »

Thank you for sharing. I'm so nervous about surgery. Hopefully all will go well.

Follow your surgeons directions, and I'm sure it will be great!