Welcome To The Group!

Options
Introduce yourselves, tell us a little about you and your goals. What motivates you, what pushed you to start your health & fitness journey? Let's start making friends and making good changes!
I am 23 and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Pleurisy about four years ago. I gained a lot of weight and there were several causing factors. About two years ago I went to South Carolina to visit and friend and seeing myself in photo's made me realize just how much weight I had gained. I always weighed about 125lbs, I was 190lbs (I'm 5' 2" so it looked bad) I felt horrible, I never had to deal with typical teen issues such as body issues or finding myself. I always knew who I was and it was never a phase for me, I was myself. My now fiancé and I started by gradually replacing foods/drinks with healthier versions. Instead of our normal soda selection, we got Polar Soda and bought a little less each time. We kept finding healthier versions, stopped getting some items all together, and of course portion control. Last year is when I finally started to exercise, and by now our eating habits are so much better! We have a healthy selection of foods and drinks in our fridge! We both feel so much better than we used to, we also don't eat fast food anymore (I don't care, Panera doesn't count! lol) I am now 169lbs, I bounce between 166 & 172 mainly due to inflammation and water retention from Pleurisy & Fibromyalgia. I have 30lbs to go and promised myself this was the last summer I looked & felt this way :smiley:
*Reminder! Negativity and poor behavior will not be tolerated in this group, be nice or find a new group!*

Replies

• FinntheVeggie
    FinntheVeggie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Thanks for sharing your story, it seems like you've done awesome so far and you haven't got too much further to go!

I'm Finn, and I'm 19. I have some history with an eating disorder that I developed in junior high, which was the reason I became overweight. I was in a really dark place about 7 years ago, bingeing almost every night and occasionally purging too, then hating myself every morning. I often say that the one thing that saved my life was this: my brother earned his black belt in Karate. Confused? Well, one of the tests he had to pass was to run 3 miles in less than 25 minutes. He hated running, and somehow something inspired me to offer to train with him. It started just to make him feel better, but running every day worked miracles for me. I didn't really lose any weight at first, but it helped me psychologically so that I could begin adjusting my diet. 6 years later I will admit that I still struggle with the impulse to binge, but it happens a few times a month instead of every day, and I am more in control of it (like 10 cookies instead of a whole box+a carton of ice cream). And I'm getting better all the time :) I am more focused on transforming my unhealthy relationship with food than actually slashing calories right now, but I still run every day and I'm slowly moving towards my dream weight of 115 lbs (sounds low but I'm 5'1). Not having much to lose makes it come off slower and slower, so I'm excited to meet others who face a similar challenge!
  • TheNerdyMonkey
    TheNerdyMonkey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations is not enough! I am very proud of you! Your story is very inspiring! My weight goal is to just be below the highest healthy weight for a person my height 140lbs. When I get there I will decide my next fitess adventure :)
  • honeynutloop
    honeynutloop Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm amy. I'm 29, from the uk and have 1 son and 3 dogs.
    I recognise finn from the GoT challenge, so hi!
    I don't really have a story. I've just got gradually more overweight over time until 216lb in January. Now I'm down by 32lb and i want to lose another 22lb. I started by cutting back what i ate and now I'm working on getting (me and the dogs) fitter. My weight loss is slowing down but i don't really mind because I'm still losing and it feels sensible and sustainable (unlike previous attempts).
    Good luck everyone! o:)
  • TheNerdyMonkey
    TheNerdyMonkey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great and nice to meet you, welcome! Congratulations on your weight loss and keep up the great work! :)
  • megancc711
    megancc711 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! My name is Megan and I have been on & off with a fitness journey the last 4 years of my life. I have never been happy with the way my body looks and I always look at other peoples body and I'm jealous.. Which I hate being that way I just want to be confident in my body. I am 5 ft 3 inches and I way 129.7 lbs. My goal is 112! I have never been under 118 but I know I can do it with motivation, dedication, and a healthy lifestyle. I have been waking up at 5:30 or 6:00 every morning with my friend Katie and busting our butts before we get the day started and it feels amazing!!! Feel free to follow me or give advice & motivation! :smiley: From: Missouri, USA
  • honeynutloop
    honeynutloop Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Not a morning person myself so kudos to you megan.
    I would suggest that you start taking pride in what your body can do now that you're becoming fitter. I feel like i will always have days (weeks/months!) Where i don't like how i look so I've started focusing on i can do ... better, I'm a smaller size/weigh less, my bmi has dropped etc and this is helping me to feel content with my body while still working towards losing weight and getting healthy.