Hello Contrave Users

Options
ktjerna
ktjerna Posts: 3 Member
I started Contrave on July 27, 2015. Currently in the 2nd day of week 3. My weight goes up and down. At one point I was down 4.6 pounds, today I am at 3.3 pounds down. Frustrating but I know that is how things go.
I live in Iowa and am 57 year old female.
How are things going with you?
Thanks
Kathy

Replies

• wickedfun
    wickedfun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathy!

I too just started a prescription for Contrave. I know it is not a popular stance on this particular fitness site, but I am hopeful that this drug combination will allow me to reverse the years of emotional eating and what I feel like is the addictive behavior that is currently causing me to continue it.

Obviously, I hope to establish a healthy calorie deficient meal plan that will work for me long term, but at this point in my life, I obviously have not been able to do it on my own.

Good luck in your journey, I will be watching this space for your comments.
    Deana
  • KRocka1981
    KRocka1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I started taking Contrave on July 22. I have lost just over 18 lbs. For me, it has been just the tool I have needed. I have worked really hard to eat right and exercize. I'm 33 and have quite a bit of weight to lose (over 100 lbs). So, I'm only at the beginning of my journey, but I finally feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
  • ssreltd
    ssreltd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I began my 4th week yesterday. I've only lost 2 pounds, watching food intake, exercising, etc. It's very discouraging when I read the other posts wherein you have lost 4+ pounds by this time period. Contrave has had a huge impact on drinking. I would drink 2 martinis every night with snacks, of course. I have not had a desire for alcohol in 3 weeks. I will share half of a low cal beer with my husband. I'm going to continue using the drug and hope for results. Has anyone else had this problem? I would have thought cutting out alcohol I should have lost 5 pounds! Is there such a thing as "no metabolism"?
  • MacksFisher
    MacksFisher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started on Contrave on July 13th. When I last weighed myself at the Doctor's on September 14th I had lost 30 lbs. The drug has changed my life. I am eating so, so much less. I have more energy. I am not hungry ALL THE TIME like I used to be. I have over 200 lbs to lose and I need this. I eat well and exercise but I could not stop eating. I have almost no side effects either. Some stomach cramping, mild constipation and I am sweating more. I know some people don't like this drug and think that it's just a crutch or not the answer, but those people can go screw themselves. I need this and I love it.
  • Richwannabefit
    Richwannabefit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started Contrave September 16th. My target is two pounds per week and I have had no problems loosing this. A few years ago I tried MFP and noticed I had to stay under my target calories to achieve this. I thought it was slow metabolism at first. I came to realize I was not good at guessing amounts and just keep under the target each day. This strategy is working again but I think I will buy a food scale to improve food logging skills.
    I noticed many in the MFP community don't like a pill to achieve behavior modification but will add almost any chemical substance to their health shake.
    Two years ago it was tough staying at a calorie deficit for three months and I finally went back to my old ways. It is very easy now with contrave. I would like to know how successful someone was getting off Contrave after achieving their weight loss goal. I hope with a lower carb intake the cravings will go away naturally.
  • ktjerna
    Options
    Hmmm No metabolism...That's me!!!
  • ktjerna
    Options
    Sounds like things are going well for all. Fast or slow weight loss. Going down is the main goal. A food scale is a must in order to keep on track, for me anyway. Good luck to all!
  • MacksFisher
    Options
    So I went to the doctor yesterday, and for the 4 months I have been on Contrave I have lost 55 lbs. I'm not going to get my hopes up and assume that it's going to be that way forever and that by the end of the year I'll have lost 165 lbs.
    But I have to admit that I have been half-assing my exercise & I'm kicking myself thinking how much I would have lost if I had put in more of an effort. I am now down to a weight where I can actually use my Scale Down scale, so I'll be able to check my weight more often.
    I have 28 lbs to lose to reach the weight I had reached a few years ago when I hard core worked out and then subsequently gained all back and more.
    My clothes fit better now and I was able to buy a pair of pants with a waist 6 inches smaller than the last time I bought clothes.
  • tyabx6
    tyabx6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 of contrave and down 7lbs. I have about 80 lbs to go and I'm hopeful that this will help.
  • mishi6111
    mishi6111 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone. I just started Contrave on January 2nd. So far I am happy. I know it has only been 5 days but that has me very optimistic at this point. Day 1 I was a little jittery from the med and was very nervous about the side effects. But the only negative side effect I can really see is a constipation which lets get serious can be fixed with an over the counter med.

On the positive side I have more energy and it has definitely improved my mood. I knew I was depressed before but I didn't realize what meds would do to help with that. So far since I have been using the scale down scale (Dec 31) I am down ~6lbs. I am very interested to see how the weight loss continues or if this 6 lb loss was a result of the holidays coming to an end.

How is it going for everyone else? What have you each noticed regarding your weight loss or the side effects?
  • yolifoli
    yolifoli Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am desperately trying to lose weight. I have tried the 21 day fix since Sep/Oct and my weight has stayed the same but some inches have decreased. Although I have not bought Contrave, I plan on it. I was wondering how much you paid for this at the pharmacy? I went to my local(Pasadena, MD) CVS Pharmacy and they wanted $225 for this. Holy Cow?!?!? I am home now trying to get some online coupons for this. Is this worth it? Have you all have long term success? I am very active and I actually enjoy working out. Any info. would help. Thank you!
  • MacksFisher
    Options
    Sorry this is so late. With my insurance I pay $20 a month
  • joteddie199
    joteddie199 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have used since mid Feb and am down almost 30 pounds. Did you get the card you can dign up for. With it I pay $40.
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but wondering if anyone here still uses contrave and their results? I'm on week 2 and down 3 lbs.
  • nray3119
    nray3119 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Is anyone still taking Contrave? I just started a week ago.