Anyone else just starting out?

Options
13»

Replies

• Noot30
    Noot30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. Only on week 3 so will start to think about the warm ups...
  • tzumom100
    tzumom100 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, I'm new here too. I've lifted before, doing my own thing, but haven't done anything in months. I've really fallen off the wagon with food too. I'm starting 5x5 tomorrow.
  • tzumom100
    Options
    I used to have trouble keeping my feet flat with squats too, but working on my mobility really helped.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Started 2 months ago, I just did a week with the bar which was 45 lbs. And then I moved it up in 2-5 lb increments depending on what it was.

I tried to move too quickly and in poor form for some of the lifts, so I dropped it back down.

But this is what it looks like now-

Deadlift 115
    Squats 120
    Bench Press 70
    Rows 65
    Overhead (struggling with crappy form, back down to 45, god I hate these)

For squats, my chiropractor said just squat down to the point as if you were going to sit in a chair until I'm stronger. So, I've been following that advice.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Hi tzumom - how did it go on your first day?
  • jmw6019
    jmw6019 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've toyed with the idea of strong lifts several times but have always been too intimidated. I've roped a friend in and think I can go with her first time now.

I like everyone's idea of going at an off time. I will try that for at least the first round of each workout so I know how, etc and then maybe won't be as nervous. Problem is weight area at my gym is really small and it's always filled (with men!).

I had a weekly trainer and I asked her about SL but she told me I needed to wait until I was stronger - ugh, I think she just wanted me to do her program.
  • jmw6019
    Options
    BTW, I'm pretty strong already. Work out (sometimes cardio, sometimes weights) three times a week. :)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Interesting assessment indeed, especially since on most of the lifts for starting the recommendation is to just use the bar. It can be challenging on some of the upper body but one can always use a fixed bar at a lighter weight or dumbbells to work their way up to 45 if that isn't feasible for them right away.

I do like lifting late at night because less people, though still plenty around even at 11 pm. It's good to just spend the first couple times getting comfortable with the lifts, format and making sure you're okay with form. What the trainer could have done that would have been more helpful was show you form on the lifts, but... yeah, her program, probably. They have to make a living too. :wink:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    jmw6019 wrote: »
    I've toyed with the idea of strong lifts several times but have always been too intimidated.

don't be intimidated. i know that's easy to say and maybe i should sjaddup . . . but i was 49 when i first touched a bar, and knew less about it than most men know about how to knit. i must have walked past the open door to the free weights room five or six times before i got up enough nerve to go in.

do it, because the reward for those first few weeks of courage will be so huge. it isn't just the fact you'll get physically stronger. you'll get comfortable mentally too. you'll start to feel as if you belong there. and most of the scary men in there will slowly turn into regular people just like yourself, who have reasons exactly like yours to be there.

it's so worth it. do it.

• jmw6019
    Options
    I've toyed with the idea of strong lifts several times but have always been too intimidated.

it's so worth it. do it.

I did it this morning!! Not so pretty - I couldn't figure out where the right bars were until 1/2 way through - but I figured it out. Excited to lift heavier next time since I kinda missed this round. :)

Thanks for the encouragement!!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

don't be intimidated. i know that's easy to say and maybe i should sjaddup . . . but i was 49 when i first touched a bar, and knew less about it than most men know about how to knit. i must have walked past the open door to the free weights room five or six times before i got up enough nerve to go in.
    it's so worth it. do it.

Great advice! I thought you were younger by the way that you write your comments very humorous! I mainly referring to the thread on man at the gym LOL. Not that older people can't be funny! I'm 57. How many years have you been lifting now?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Great advice! I thought you were younger by the way that you write

heh. childish 4 life. i met my first barbell in march of last year.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Great advice! I thought you were younger by the way that you write

heh. childish 4 life. i met my first barbell in march of last year.

Good then you are the expert! I just started March of this year.
  • jennycjenny
    jennycjenny Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm starting- errrrrrrrrrr, REstarting again this month :) Just hit workout #2 yesterday and confirmed that yes, OHP is still the devil. I managed to complete all of the sets with 45lbs though, woohoo! I've had a lot of trouble with staying consistent and getting to the gym 3-4 times per week, so wish me luck. I love this program and know it will pay off if I can just stay focused enough to build the gym habit.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the program a few weeks now and can deadlift 65kg/143lb 1RM is 70, front squat 30kg or goblet squat 20 kg, bench 25kg, seated shoulder press dumbbells 10kg. We don't have a power rack so squat and bench are limited to what I can lift up. OH press no go at moment as I tend to hyperextension back. I know I'm lifting more but progess is slow without proper gear :( How long did it take for you to start to see a change in body shape. Back and arms starting to change rest not so much. Also I'm 5'10 and 68 kg/150lb.
  • ScubaMare01
    ScubaMare01 Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi All! I'm starting 5x5 next week. I have a 35# barbell coming this week sometime and am using the time this week to watch videos and practice my form, especially with squats. I've been doing "air squats" for a month or so now so my form has really improved by watching Elliott Hulse videos. We have a 45# bar, but when my husband had me check it out this weekend, I found I can't do the overhead press with it. I'm also getting a set of fractional weights in hopes that when I plateau and can't move up 5 pounds, instead of dropping weight I can add as little as 1 pound if I need to.

I'm 50 years old and have done some weightlifting off and on for years -- mostly off the last several. I did P90X (twice) when I was 45 so I'm not afraid of a tough workout. Just found it's time to move from cardio to strength training and, seeing the great progress my husband is making, decided to commit to SL 5x5. Can't wait to get started!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Hi All! I'm starting 5x5 next week. I have a 35# barbell coming this week sometime and am using the time this week to watch videos and practice my form, especially with squats. I've been doing "air squats" for a month or so now so my form has really improved by watching Elliott Hulse videos. We have a 45# bar, but when my husband had me check it out this weekend, I found I can't do the overhead press with it. I'm also getting a set of fractional weights in hopes that when I plateau and can't move up 5 pounds, instead of dropping weight I can add as little as 1 pound if I need to.

I'm 50 years old and have done some weightlifting off and on for years -- mostly off the last several. I did P90X (twice) when I was 45 so I'm not afraid of a tough workout. Just found it's time to move from cardio to strength training and, seeing the great progress my husband is making, decided to commit to SL 5x5. Can't wait to get started!

Hi! I saw you in the Women over 50 thread too. I had a lot of company and didn't get to reply to you. I'm 57 and started lifting in March. I just posted pictures of my progress. Lifting really melts the fat away! I need to eat a lot more which is a bonus since I love food. It sounds like you have a good lifting partner in your husband.
  • tzumom100
    Options
    Hi tzumom - how did it go on your first day?

It went well, I'm in the groove & really loving the deadlifting :-) Thanks for asking!
  • kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I just started last night with Workout A - 45 lbs on everything. I'm not too sure about increasing the weight already on the BP because it was a struggle to get that 25th rep up last night, but we shall see on Friday! I've watched videos - Mark Rippetoe on YouTube - and read books on form, but since I'm doing this at home on my own, I guess I'll have to video myself and watch back to see if I've applied what I learned! I'm still eating at a deficit for now - I have 2.5 lbs to go to goal, but I figured I'm close enough to get started... I'm off to the 'form check' forum to see how everyone else is doing these lifts.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    kristinels wrote: »
    I just started last night with Workout A - 45 lbs on everything. I'm not too sure about increasing the weight already on the BP because it was a struggle to get that 25th rep up last night, but we shall see on Friday! I've watched videos - Mark Rippetoe on YouTube - and read books on form, but since I'm doing this at home on my own, I guess I'll have to video myself and watch back to see if I've applied what I learned! I'm still eating at a deficit for now - I have 2.5 lbs to go to goal, but I figured I'm close enough to get started... I'm off to the 'form check' forum to see how everyone else is doing these lifts.

I started with a 12.5 lb barbell for squats, BP, OHP, and put 10 weights on for the BR and DL. I increased the weight by 5 lbs a time then when I hit my max I used 1 lb ankle and wrist weights to add 1 lb at a time. Be prepared to be ravenous but drink water and up protein intake to keep from over eating.