Whats YOUR motivation?

Options
Ladybug1250
Ladybug1250 Posts: 366 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
Ok ladies and Gents (any Gents?)

Ok so my workout schedule is less than ideal usually after a long day around 8pm or so. Its easy to say "screw it, i'll do better tomorrow" but too many of those is why i'm here in the first place. So what do you say to yourself when you're ready to give in to the couch and tube when it's more inviting then a sweat session on the mat?

Replies

• randilast
    randilast Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    @Ladybug1250 I struggle with that ALL THE TIME!!! Today even, I'm struggling with tiredness and I know I need to do Total Body Cardio Fix when I get home tonight. I use different sayings but the one this month I've used the most is "be sore today or sorry tomorrow." I don't want to kick myself tomorrow for not working out today because that starts me on the downward slide right back to where I started from. It's always hard and will always be hard. But I'm promising myself that this time I won't back down.
  • jennimben
    jennimben Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I can get myself moving by self talking- it's just 30 minutes out of the whole day; just go through the motions, you don't even have to sweat; you can skip today but what about tomorrow? I have even been known to try to bribe myself with a glass of wine. However, every few weeks I have a day where I am just feeling too lethargic and find it very easy to convince myself I deserve a day off and I haven't found a way around it yet! ;)
  • jennimben
    Options
    Sometimes I can get myself moving by self talking- it's just 30 minutes out of the whole day; just go through the motions, you don't even have to sweat; you can skip today but what about tomorrow? I have even been known to try to bribe myself with a glass of wine. However, every few weeks I have a day where I am just feeling too lethargic and find it very easy to convince myself I deserve a day off and I haven't found a way around it yet! ;)
  • Ladybug1250
    Options
    Thanks @randilast I like that saying, i will use it for my mantra this week! I've done two workouts so far and the total body cardio fix kicked my bunns so hard i'm still sore and tonight is lower fix, oh help me Jesus! LOL

@jennimben awesome advice! I like what you said about just going through the motions and ive done that before too, and before i know it i get this burst of energy and get right back to where i feel like i'm pushing myself. The hard part is pressing play!
  • rjpittner
    rjpittner Posts: 70 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    In the beginning, I kept thinking about just FEELING better. I felt so sluggish and like a blimp...it was killing my self-confidence. For the first few days with those aching muscles, it was really hard to get going. I started writing down the inspirational chalk board notes on the back of the workout wall in the videos (that Autumn mentions in the beginning of each video) on a white board on my fridge door. Just getting a glance at them several times throughout the day helps keep me on track! Once I got through week 1 and started seeing and feeling the change, the motivation just came...I wake up each morning excited to see how much stronger I am and how much more intensity I'll be able to attack the workout with. And as jennimben said, when I feel unmotivated during the workout itself, I watch that timer and push myself to the limit! It's always when I'm starting to drag that Autumn says something about "When you want to give up, think about how it's only 21 days...I promise to get you to the body you want!" :-P I do have to say that this two-a-day final week is a bit more challenging, but I'm loving every minute! :-)
  • Ladybug1250
    Options
    awesome words of encouragement! I love the whiteboard idea, i think i might try that too! The sore muscles (DOMS) are killing me this week but at the same time i kinda love it! It reminds me of what i've accomplished and leaves me feeling proud and centered :-)
  • eliseandlila
    eliseandlila Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice on this thread. I'm on day 4, so sore I can barely walk and had a really hard time getting out of bed this morning. I really needed to see that other people feel that way too during the program to keep going.
  • randilast
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice on this thread. I'm on day 4, so sore I can barely walk and had a really hard time getting out of bed this morning. I really needed to see that other people feel that way too during the program to keep going.

@eliseandlila I'm with you there. Haven't done my video yet today because of how tired and sluggish I've felt. But I'm promising myself I'll be doing it as soon as I get home from work. We all have those days but this group has been great on keeping up the motivation!

• musicfan4life30
    musicfan4life30 Posts: 543 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm on Day 2 of the 21 day fix.

I did the Total Body Cardio fix workout video yesterday and my legs hurt today still from the video.

Today I am doing Upper Fix workout video.

I just say to myself it's just 30 mins out my day for 21 days so i can do this! :)

• Ladybug1250
    Options
    i was so sore after the first one then when day three came around and it was lower fix i was praying to get through it, as long as you use the modifications when you need to you'll be fine :-)
  • randilast
    Options
    Is it wrong to say I'm finding a competitive spirit within me that's pushing me harder? Lol, this entire month I've been in a step challenge with my older sister and my best friend. Neither live close to me so we take snapshots of our steps for the day and send them to each other. We were to aim to crack 10,000 a day but whoever would have the most steps would get a point. At the end of the month we'll give the winner a gift card.
    I came up with the idea because both my sister and friend were telling me they wished they were more active. So - challenge! And now my friend is rocking it! She was on a hot streak of over 15,000 steps a day and now we're neck and neck. One side of me is ecstatic because she's already lost 13 pounds from her increased activity (and calorie watching). The other side is telling me to ramp up the steps so I can come out ahead. Keeps me moving!!!
  • CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Love it! That's awesome!
  • randilast
    Options
    Love it! That's awesome!
    Thanks! Lol, it's fun! I've become the cheerleader of the group. Every day I send a picture with a motivational message and tell them how much I believe in them. Often I'm the one needing the reminder but it's great to feel like we're working together. The best part is we keep it fun. Yes, I will admit to jealousy hitting me every now and then but it's always overridden by my happiness in their success. I work better (and stay more on track) with a group so it helps me a lot.
  • Ladybug1250
    Options
    oh thats so awesome! I love my fit bit. I forgot mine today and it makes me sad :-(
  • jennimben
    Options
    Day 3- eating is going well so far, workouts are killing me but I've gotten through them and it feels really awesome! My sore muscles are what is really motivating me now. There is no way I am stopping these workouts due to laziness, only to shame myself into restarting and having to feel this pain again! All of this strength training makes me want to only do measurements on day 7, I'm kind of afraid of seeing a gain the first week. Either way I already feel good!
  • randilast
    Options
    @jennimben Way to go!!! Super happy you're feeling good. And listen to your body - there is a difference between muscle soreness and actually pain. Just know that if you are experiencing actual pain it's okay to go a little easier on the exercises. I don't want you to hurt yourself! I did something to my right shoulder and am working on stretching it out. It hurts to lift my arm so I'm not risking doing Pilates Fix with it in that condition. I'll still attempt some form of exercise because, just like you, I don't want to lose my momentum.
  • Annie831
    Annie831 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    working out after work is hard but I am so not a morning person so working out first thing just does not work for me. Also I have found that when I do work out after dinner ( we eat an early dinner around 5) that i tend to eat a lighter meal and then with the cool down stretches after the work out i feel so relaxed that it helps we sleep so much better and I wake up not feeling groggy or sleep deprived.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I am a morning person and I prefer to workout early, but with my schedule right now that's almost impossible. That's why my workouts dropped off. I know I can force myself to do 30 minutes when I get home when dinner is cooking. My motivation right now is that all of my pants are too tight and it's pissing me off. I have a beautiful dress I want to wear to a Christmas party and right now it doesn't look good. I want it to look amazing. Yes, shallow, but truthful.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Since I'm off for the summer working out has been easy, but I know when I was working I'd slack sometimes. I start again next week and I'm hoping I can keep up my workouts! It's so easy to just come home and relax or take a nap. I have to keep elementary and middle school kids in check all day, so on some days I come home with a massive headache. I'm very lucky I do not have kids of my own. Those of you who are working mothers deserve an immense amount of respect for finding time to workout. I watch my niece and I love her as if she were my own, but I'm grateful I get to return her to my sister when I need to get things done!
  • rjpittner
    rjpittner Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This is my second week back to school + working with trying to do my workouts and I've been surprisingly really good about it...I only missed one day in the very beginning because I couldn't convince myself to fight through those burpees! ;-P I'm waking up at 4:45 two days a week to get my sweat on before heading off to clinicals; I never, ever in my life thought I would CHOOSE to wake up at such an ungodly hour to exercise no less! Lol I have, however, been loosening up in the nutrition dept, though, which I'm not sure if it's necessarily all bad. I just feel like I'm getting so much hungrier this go-around, which makes it hard to stick to the rations I'm supposed to (and especially after a long day when only oodles of CARBS sound yummy!!!)