Replies

• heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm sick, sinus infection.
  • ActiveAmyLynn
    ActiveAmyLynn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday everyone! Carol, Hammer Jammer, Kris, Howie...thank you for sharing your experience with the emotional aspect of injury as it applies to training, it's invaluable to me. Kris, something just switched in me when you said you didn't ever imagine you'd be a runner and that getting out on trails opened that up, that you've been on the monkey bars and rope climbing, and that even the trying is such a source of joy for you. That's hugely inspirational to me. I've been wanting to do an obstacle course with a group of instructors and personal training program students at my college (I'm a middle-ager back in school ;) but have been too intimidated to do it. My goal for this week is to do the obstacle course on Saturday! :)
  • leopardprintaholic
    Options
    Hi Gang! I'm so thrilled to hear of everyone's dedication to their September goals. We can do this ... & have a ball in the process!

Heron Honey, Get Well Soon!

Thanks for the music suggestions, Beloveds. I'll definitely keep Ella & Bob Marley in mind! Hammer, I worked out to some reggae last week, but told my friend who recommended it that I had 3 problems: 1) I couldn't find my Bob Marley sports bra. 2) I got all tangled-up in my dreadlocks when I ran. 3) I kept dropping my joint ;) lol!!

Yesterday was the letter "b", so I was accompanied by The Barenaked Ladies (although I was fully clothed) :) Today was "c" & I 'Rocked the Casbah' with The Clash B) Tommorow is 'd' & I'm a bit stumped & once again begging for suggestions from y'all <3 xoxo
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Deb Sue - Drifters, Diana Ross,

• leopardprintaholic
    Options
    Thanks, Hammer! On my own, I could only come up with Devo & Def Leppard, so I'll blissfully add yours to the contenders. A prerequisite is a good quick "run-worthy" beat B) Thanks again for your awesome support!!
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Amy, YAY! That is music to my ears. You are going to have a blast. Is it a mud run race or are you doing an OCR at a facility? I'll tell ya that at my first mud run, it was a beautiful roller coaster of emotions and thoughts. I was immediately pulled into the ultra supportive atmosphere, the wonderful range of people (all ages and fitness levels), and the endless giggles and smiles. I was nervous, wondered what the heck I was thinking signing up for it, had moments where I felt incredibly out of shape...and then...JOY, I vowed to conquer things in the future, discovered I ADORE doing crab crawls in the mud, fear of embarrassment vanished, finished wanting to immediately do another one! Sorry for rambling, but OCRs are transformative. I can't wait to hear about yours. WOOHOO!

Heron, Healing hugs going out to you!!!

DebSue and John, ROCK ON!

Happy Friday all. Wishing everyone a safe and happy holiday weekend :smiley:
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Get better Heron. No problem Deb Sue, Happy Friday Folks today is a rest day.
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    You guys are so fantastic. DebSue - BWAhahahhAHahahahah…. such a hilarious image of you in the dreadlocks.

I love all the updates. Every one of them made me smile. ('Cept the one where Heron is sick - get well soon girlie)

I have a Labor Day weekend planned where I get out and move more than usual. I am excited to have an extra day off but it is already filled with stuff for my latest project. An old high school chum became an archeologist and we are on a mission to change the way we educate youth. Here is the website where we are following one of his excavation projects: https://sites.google.com/site/sanfelipedeaustinarcheo/
    And guess what? We are "chronicling the journey" for the education and archeology profession to see how we did it. (lessons learned and all that)

Busy, busy, busy!

You guys are such a constant for me and I am so grateful!

WHO IS GOING TO COME HANG WITH ME, HERON, HAMMER and JENNIFER IN VEGAS?
  • kris3b
    Options
    Carol! I am SO into that project. I am going to be following along. I wish they had something like that when I was in school. I would have been all over it. Fascinates me to no end. That was my dream when I was a little one. All the best!!! I thought there were more people doing the Vegas Mudder. I really wish I could :(

Seems the weekend is upon us. I have a work project, but plan on getting in some R & R, plus maybe hit the trails if the heat lets up. Skeeters are wicked.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    JT Dogg and I are off to do an 11 mile Money maker shaker. Have a happy Saturday Folks.
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Go get em Hammer & JT Dogg!!

Kris, thanks for the feedback on the project! We need more folks to follow along and interact with it. Please do post to the FB page & share it and weigh-in whenever you can. The students are so excited about being involved. And they're really making the archaeologists think about things they hadn't considered.
    We love input from people all over the world – that's only going to help this kind of thing get attention.

Just finished a cross training workout. Feels great!

You guys have a wonderful weekend.
  • ActiveAmyLynn
    Options
    Kris, I finished my first obstacle course today!! The course is set up every Saturday by my instructors and students in a personal training certification program at a community college. I just started the program and get extra credit for it. It's a training course for Spartan races and such. Like you said, and you weren't rambling at all, it certainly was a roller coaster of thoughts and emotions. When I woke up, I tried to talk myself out of going, kept hitting snooze, telling myself I'd sleep in and go to the gym later...then realized it was crazy talk and got myself to the bleepin' course. I paired up with a super nice, supportive gal who showed me what to do. It was eye opening to see what my strengths and weaknesses are when I'm doing more real-life, functional exercises vs. the controlled, rather artificial, repetitive stuff I do at the gym. I'll be scoping out schools and parks with monkey bars from here on out too :)
    Hammer Jammer, hope your 11 miler's going great!
  • kris3b
    Options
    Carol, WTG on the workout! I will chime in. I didn't want to be the crazy woman from Michigan chiming in on the project and asking stupid questions. I'll share it, but I only have a dozen or so friends on FB and that includes y'all in there. haha

WOOHOO Amy! Happy for you and proud of you for doing it. When I trained for my first race, I was super nervous about the bars. The boyfriend took me over to a school in the evening and we tried. It was hilarious. I think I made it to three bars and hung there. haha The county parks by us have fitness trails and I do those. It is neat because I always run into people training for a race. Also the trails I like have guys who go out to train at. They crawl, burpee, run...all kinds of stuff. They invited me to join but I have never gotten up the nerve.

Strength training and short run are on the agenda tonigh. It has been really humid, so I want to wait until evening. Oh, a big decision was made in our household last night. I will share more tomorrow. Cha-cha-cha-changes coming. :smiley:

Have a great weekend!
  • ActiveAmyLynn
    Options
    Kris, I remember you saying you like to crab crawl...I'm sure you'd be a great addition to the group on the trails if you come around to joining them. I feel awkward the first time I work out with new people...especially guys. My Mom was herself and brought me up to be proper and ladylike. She never worked out, so I think that's where that comes from for me.
    Hope everyone's having a wonderful holiday weekend! Hammer Jammer, I'm loving your workout status posts and it's motivating me to see you killing it! I've got a 6 mile hike tomorrow with my Exercise Science instructors, who are absolute beasts so I hope I can keep up hahah ;)