Portion Sizes

Options
SilviaFDK
SilviaFDK Posts: 11 Member
I am learning to have smaller portions. Usually I eat large sizes of whatever, but this week I have had portion control and it has been great. I don't feel stuffed and better yet, I feel in control instead of giving that control away to food. I'm just starting out on a new healthier lifestyle, though I have tried several 'diets' and want to be successful this time. Any suggestions on how to stick to portion sizes? Thanks, Silvia

Replies

• honeynutloop
    honeynutloop Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Get into the habit of weighing food. Use smaller plates/bowls and always use a plate/bowl instead of eating from tupperware etc.
    These things help me to stay within my limits. If I'm hungry after finishing a meal i tell myself that I'll have something more to eat in 15mins and often by that point I'm ok and don't need to eat any more.
  • Loosing63
    Loosing63 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Before eating dinner, I divide the meal into portions according to serving size. I then fill the plates for me and my family. The leftover servings go into containers for next day lunch immediately. After taking care of this I sit down and enjoy dinner with my family. :) Of course you can always freeze the leftover portions for another quick and easy dinner.
  • Loosing63
    Loosing63 Posts: 668 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It is also important that you enjoy your meal without being too distracted from it. For example a lot of people watch TV while just automatically emptying their plate. They don't realize that they are eating and end up unsatisfied. They then get a second plate or munch on something else. Make sure you enjoy every bite and it will be more satisfying.
    Honeynutloop is right with 15 minutes of waiting before she decides to eat more. "Feeling full is a result of your brain reacting to chemicals released when you put food or drink in your stomach. Your brain takes around 15-20 minutes to register these chemicals." (from a healthy eating article)
  • SilviaFDK
    SilviaFDK Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You guys are right pointing out that I should eat slowly and without distraction. Too often I am done without realizing that I even ate! Putting away those leftovers before I eat instead of after will really help me not go for seconds. I have found that eating more often, but less has also helped me not to overeat. Just have to make sure that I choose healthy foods. Keeping track has really opened my eyes to the calories etc is 'innocent foods' like olive oil and vinegraittes :) Thanks so much for your input, Silvia