Stubborn 15yo needs to go GF/CF, need help

Options
RobininTx
RobininTx Posts: 16 Member
Hi all, my daughter is 15 and needs to start following a GF/CF diet for health reasons. She is very stubborn and gets emotional (tears) every time we discuss it. She knows it is for her own good but she is convinced she isn't going to be able to eat anything she likes. Not only is she allergic to wheat, but she is also allergic to most alternatives such as rice, corn, potato and oats. She is also allergic to soy and doesn't like the alternative dairy products either. About the only thing I can get her to convert to is almond milk and coconut milk for the dairy.

We have followed a similar diet when she was little but as she has gotten older it is harder and harder for me to manage what she eats. I am just now starting to follow a GF/CF diet as well due to doctors orders. I'm hoping she will eat what I eat at home but when she isn't with me I want her to make good choices so she receives the full benefit of being GF/CF.

So, my question is, any suggestions on how to convince her she really needs to do this? Any/all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Robin

Replies

• Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Maybe having snacks prepped for her to easily grab and take with her. Include some less healthy type snacks too.. in case she is doing something where junk food is involved, like movies or something with her friends. I think it would help her feel less deprived in a case like that.

Making food more fun is a good way too or looking for substitutes for her favorites. Ice cream for example, I puree 1/2 cups frozen fruit and an avocado, add a little water as I blend until I get a soft serve type consistency. The avocado gives it that fatty flavor you would miss from regular ice cream. Then put another half cup of frozen fruit on top. Makes it pretty :) And if she needs a protein boost, you can totally add some protein powder in there. I personally put a cup of spinach in the blend too. I don't taste it, but it sneaks another serving of veggies in.

Or pancakes can be made with a banana, 2 eggs and 1 1/2 tbsp coconut flour. Serves one, so double if you have having some too :)

I think it is especially helpful that you have to follow that diet as well. I can't have gluten, soy, yeast and msg. My husband and daughter still eat those things, but when I cook, they eat what I am eating. They do have snacks, sandwiches and such, but family meals are based around what I can eat.
  • RobininTx
    Options
    Thank you Valtishia. Those are great ideas. We had a discussion and we agreed that over the long weekend, we would come up with some recipes to try. I think having her involved in selecting and preparing the recipes might help. She is just convinced she is going to starve! I think the hardest will be bread because she is allergic to yeast as well. Do you have a good yeast free GF bread recipe? Also, I can't find a GF cereal that doesn't contain corn, oats, or rice. I thought there was an amaranth cereal but I can't remember who makes it. I feel like I'm starting over with the GF except this time she is 15 instead of 3 and with a much bigger opinion about what she will and won't eat! :neutral: Thanks again!
  • Valtishia
    Options
    RobininTx wrote: »
    Thank you Valtishia. Those are great ideas. We had a discussion and we agreed that over the long weekend, we would come up with some recipes to try. I think having her involved in selecting and preparing the recipes might help. She is just convinced she is going to starve! I think the hardest will be bread because she is allergic to yeast as well. Do you have a good yeast free GF bread recipe? Also, I can't find a GF cereal that doesn't contain corn, oats, or rice. I thought there was an amaranth cereal but I can't remember who makes it. I feel like I'm starting over with the GF except this time she is 15 instead of 3 and with a much bigger opinion about what she will and won't eat! :neutral: Thanks again!

As far as bread... I don't really eat it. I occasionally make avocado bread which is just avocado, ground flax seeds and eggs..... but its not really for everyone. Message me if you want the recipe and I'll give it to you. I hate the GF bread in stores anyways. Friends have made some that tasted good but this was all before I found out about the yeast.

For cereal.... do you have a crockpot?
    If so, breakfast Quinoa is super tasty.
    -1 cup quinoa
    -2 cups almond milk
    -2 cups water
    -1/4 cup raisins (optional... warning! it does make it pretty sweet)
    -3 medium apples
    -1 tsp cinnamon
    -1 tbsp coconut oil

Cook on low for 6 hrs. Perfect if you have a timer that turns it to warm once done. Ready to eat in the morning :)

I eat mostly fresh because it is just easier. I find paleo websites can be helpful in finding recipes.. then just adjust to your tastes. Here is some for a few different breads that you might want to try.

http://paleogrubs.com/bread-recipes

• GlutenFreeAussieGirl
    Options
    That's hard. I was 17 when I was first diagnosed coeliac and I felt like a total freak having to ask at cafes about ingredients and read the back of packets at parties. If you guys could do some mother-daughter bonding and go on a mission to find readily available gf-friendly restaurants/cafes that she could go to with her friends, so she can feel included but still have options?

One day I also sat down with my mum and we brainstormed all the foods I COULD still eat. Burgers (without the bun), bacon and eggs, fruit juice icy poles, lollies (candy in the US I guess), hummus, tuna and sweet chilli, guacamole, lemonade... etc etc. That made me feel SO much better. We pinned the list to the fridge and I felt less depressed when I went in for a snack.

The other option is to scare her straight... If she does have coeliac disease, and it goes untreated it can result in bowel cancer, infertility, depression, a whole range of vitamin deficiencies etc. If she's anything like I was, she'll be miserable for a month or so and super cranky, but then get over it (with occasional melancholy whining for doughnuts...)

Best of luck!
  • RobininTx
    Options
    Valtishia, the cereal sound delicious! I have some quinoa so I will try that for tomorrow. thanks for the link, I am definetly going to try some of these. We had a good weekend, we found a flatbread recipe she likes and I made some acceptable cupcakes so I think we are on the right track!

Kiaraemily, thanks for the suggestions. I will sit down with her this week and come up with a list of foods she can eat which will come in handy when I'm not around. I love the idea of finding GF friendly restaurants and making sure she knows what she can order a head of time so she doesn't have to fumble around the menu or keep asking the waitperson what the ingredients are. She is very self conscience about it, especially around her friends. Great idea!!

So, she did get the "lecture" about the consequences of eating off diet, exactly what you mentioned above. I think she is just going through a mourning process. She does feel the effects when she eats off diet so I believe eventually she will come around. I just need to be a good example and show her it is possible to lead a normal life and continue to eat healthy.

Thank you both for your feedback. :smiley:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Is she allergic to wheat or is she suffering from celiac disease? She has been to see an M.D. for this diagnosis, and had the anti gluten antibody test?

I don't know if it would be good or bad to let her know that there is a possible treatment for celiac disease, similar in principle to allergy shots, in the pipeline for some time around 2017. So if she's been officially diagnosed by a medical doctor, not an alternative practitioner of some sort, she might be covered at some point in the relatively near future to be treated, not just to not eat all the things that she likes for the rest of her life.
  • Valtishia
    Options
    RobininTx wrote: »
    Valtishia, the cereal sound delicious! I have some quinoa so I will try that for tomorrow. thanks for the link, I am definetly going to try some of these. We had a good weekend, we found a flatbread recipe she likes and I made some acceptable cupcakes so I think we are on the right track!

Kiaraemily, thanks for the suggestions. I will sit down with her this week and come up with a list of foods she can eat which will come in handy when I'm not around. I love the idea of finding GF friendly restaurants and making sure she knows what she can order a head of time so she doesn't have to fumble around the menu or keep asking the waitperson what the ingredients are. She is very self conscience about it, especially around her friends. Great idea!!

So, she did get the "lecture" about the consequences of eating off diet, exactly what you mentioned above. I think she is just going through a mourning process. She does feel the effects when she eats off diet so I believe eventually she will come around. I just need to be a good example and show her it is possible to lead a normal life and continue to eat healthy.

Thank you both for your feedback. :smiley:

You are very welcome. I hope you enjoyed it :)
  • TheMrsKKB
    TheMrsKKB Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I am not sure if this will be helpful as it contains oats BUT I am sure you can substitute something else (maybe quinoa flakes?). I use the GF oats as my only allergy is wheat and I love this. it's very dense but also very nutritious and I add garlic and dried herbs to give it more flavor. I am planning on making a "holiday" version with dried cranberries, ginger and cinnamon this season. It's very versatile and forgiving as far as what seeds you use: https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-bread-that-will-change-your-whole-world-73342291256.html hope this helps.... again - anyone else please chime in if you have ideas/suggestions for the oats replacement in this recipe!!!