Starting now

Options
I am a single 40-something who has been obese my entire life. I am working towards a goal of bariatric surgery and lifelong wellness. I am hoping to find people on similar journeys for encouragement and support. Please join me if this is you.

Replies

• and121279
    and121279 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a post op bariatric patient and also would love to meet and join new friends on my journey!
  • Sgonsalves1011
    Sgonsalves1011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and considering surgery. The ONLY reason I'm considering it is because there is proof that it changes the set point. Without that, surgery wouldn't be worth it. It would just be setting me up for more hunger and an even slower metabolism, only now with 1/5 of a stomach. But that doesn't seem to be the case, and I'm jumping in, full-bore.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm currently waiting for insurance approval to get my surgery date. I'm having the bariatric sleeve and am nervous and excited. It's something I've been researching for a while, and have not been interested in the bypass. I like my equipment where it is, thanks! The whole malabsorption and other possible side effects are too much for me.

I just signed up for MFP on Tuesday morning, and started a pre-pre-surgical diet to try and lose what I can beforehand. So far so hungry, lol, but I'll work it out! Six pounds since Tuesday afternoon! I know it's got to be water weight, but I'll take it!
  • ljstewart0825
    ljstewart0825 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm at the beginning stage as well, I have to lose the 8% required for surgery first. I just signed up on mfp last friday. yesterday made a full week and I've lost 7.2. I'm trying to exercise more, drastically shrink my portions to prepare for later on and up my protein. So far its been ok. some days are a little harder than others. its much easier when i'm at work rather than at home. any advice and support is welcomed and i'll try to do the same.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Ljstewart, I agree! Weekends are much more difficult for me than work days! I'm trying to plan everything out a week at a time to minimize things, but I still struggle! I bring snacks in my car, and try to eat before shopping. And no more unprepared shopping trips...I stick to lists.
  • Koreens
    Koreens Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm preparing for surgery but still have to be accepted to the program. My appointment is 18 Jan 2016 so I thought that I would do the diet now. I figure if I can not do the diet now then how can I after the surgery?

Amy you have lost wonderful mega weight. How are you feeling?

I am brand new here so will put up pictures and will answer questions more each day.
  • wendyn1998
    wendyn1998 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Starting the process of preparing to have the sleeve surgery done. First appt. is May 5. Hoping to begin a different kind of process. I have been on MFP for several years with some success, but with constant road blocks...thyroid, hormonal and depression, my journey has been anything but a down hill slide.
  • Karen918
    Karen918 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am at the begging of my 6 month medically supervised diet that my insurance requires :( so I know it is going to be next year. I already meet all of the other insurance requirements. I know this is an older thread but I would welcome any new friends starting this journey.
  • Psalms14415
    Psalms14415 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I am in the beginning process not too much further to go, already completed the exercise class and seen the surgeon and I have been seeing a Dietitian for a while now and I have been using the MyFitnessPal app and love it! It helps me with Journaling my food and exercise. I was using dietary sheets to post my food and it was just too much information in such a small space and time consuming since I don't like to spend too much time tied down as I have too many other things to do also. I joined Planet Fitness too so I would not have to travel to Detroit everyday just to work out and I love it! I go in and do my thing and leave and no one is checking me out like some gyms where it is a meat market and the girls are so small that they don't need to work out! =)
    The surgery I am having is for the gastric bypass and I am also going to take care of my hernia too. I am on my 8th month of charting my weight and I have had setbacks and roller coasters over the months but now I am doing much better and this is not my first rodeo at this program as I went thru it back in 2014 but since I was taking care of my family members who were struck with cancer and have now passed on. I had to step back and take time to grieve and pull myself together since I am alone. I do have a White Pekegnese named Tika-Lee he is my Love and keeps me company and happy. I am a strong individual and I am a single 54 year old that has never been married...just have not found my partner in Life. Just too many frogs and not many princes. I Thank God everyday for my Life and all he has done for me. I place all my faith in God as I am a Christian in the real sense that I am Saved and Baptized in the Holy Spirit! =) Praise Jesus!

I am going through this surgery because I want to live the rest of my days here healthy and mobile since I have to depend on myself for physical stuff and shopping and I need knee surgery too so the weight off is a blessing. I have struggled all my life with my weight and found out that I had a Thyroid condition and PCOD and I am as well Diabetic so it is a day to day struggle but I have succeeded at one time or another but as I got older things happen and Cancer took a lot from me and as a Caregiver and a C.N.A. stress can have a huge impact on your lifestyle as it did mine and now after almost 5 years I can focus on my health and start to be a better me. Surgery is the tool but it is not everything as this is a huge change in our lives but it is one that we can manage. I have placed others above me for such a long time and now it is that time I place my health and body and myself first but not before my God as God will always be first in my life. It is sad to find that my surgeon does not place his trust in God when I am placing my trust in him but that is fine, as God works in mysterious ways! ;)

This December 24th I have my medical clearance at 7:45 am and then the endoscopy on the 7th of January, seems like everything is going fast this time around. The program was so long and slow back in 2014 and now it is short and to the point. The only issue I am having is setting a appointment up with a Psychologist for the Bariactric Evaluation as the insurance has changed providers back in June and now they are saying that the insurance wont cover their doctors but my insurance company says they do. The hospital is checking into it and since it is the Holidays I wont hear anything till January 2nd. Oh well, I got awhile I think since I am on my 8th month and insurance wants 12 months of completed documentation, unless someone else got their surgery sooner than this? Please let me know. Thank You!

P.S. What is this MFP stand for? I am lost. =(

• Psalms14415
    Psalms14415 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal! MFP Got it! Just cued in on myself! LOL