Making it YOU!

Options
brisingr86
brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
Hi all. My fiance and I went to the Renaissance Festival last weekend and picked up a few things for the wedding that I'm super excited about. We got champagne flutes with pewter stems sculpted as dragons; the tails can be hooked together and it makes a heart when they're next to each other. We also got a custom candle from one of the craftsmen to use for our unity candle. These are kind of little things, but I feel like they really are touches that will make the day ours. Do others have things like this that you have incorporated and that really make the day yours? Or what are other ways you're finding to make the day unique to you?

Replies

• CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Those champagne flutes sound so amazing! What a great way to incorporate a personal touch!

Since we're basically planning every little detail, I feel like it all kind of reflects our tastes and will be pretty different than any wedding I've been to before which are usually more cookie-cutter banquet hall. I think a lot of people are expecting me to go with more winter-y DIY decor, since that's how I decorate my home at that time of year, but we're really trying to make it look less DIY (even though a lot is) and more glam and glittery for NYE, so I think that might be a bit of a surprise to people since I'm not a very sparkly person. But it's glam in our own rustic, comfortable sort of way when combined with the look of the venue. At least that's what I'm going for!

I can't think of any really personal little touches though. One thing is that I looove baked treats and my fiance loooves candy, so our treat table is going to be kind of insane. We're having our close friends and family bake our/their fav cookies and cakes and things, so that's a bit of a personal touch. I'm going to have little signs that say "Jane's famous chocolate chip cookies", which I think is kind of cute.
    Now I'm going to try to think of any super personal touches we could add!
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    The treat table sounds so fun! It's tough to find venues that will let you bring outside food. The cookie-cutter banquet hall is kind of what I'm worried about and why the personal touches are so important to me. I don't feel like our venue is really us (it's very nice and I think will be a great time for our guests, but it's fancier than me or my fiance's typical style). We went with it because there's a connection with his family and the owners and because of the value they provided compared to other places we were looking at (which weren't really any more "us").
  • gthing1978
    gthing1978 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    brisingr86 wrote: »
    Hi all. My fiance and I went to the Renaissance Festival last weekend and picked up a few things for the wedding that I'm super excited about. We got champagne flutes with pewter stems sculpted as dragons; the tails can be hooked together and it makes a heart when they're next to each other. We also got a custom candle from one of the craftsmen to use for our unity candle. These are kind of little things, but I feel like they really are touches that will make the day ours. Do others have things like this that you have incorporated and that really make the day yours? Or what are other ways you're finding to make the day unique to you?

That is awesome!!!! Those things are going to make the day even more special and meaningful to you guys.

Our thing is hearts. My engagement ring is a heart so we are gong to incorporate hearts into as much as we can (our invites, our cake topper, part of the table scape, etc).
  • gthing1978
    gthing1978 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Those champagne flutes sound so amazing! What a great way to incorporate a personal touch!

Since we're basically planning every little detail, I feel like it all kind of reflects our tastes and will be pretty different than any wedding I've been to before which are usually more cookie-cutter banquet hall. I think a lot of people are expecting me to go with more winter-y DIY decor, since that's how I decorate my home at that time of year, but we're really trying to make it look less DIY (even though a lot is) and more glam and glittery for NYE, so I think that might be a bit of a surprise to people since I'm not a very sparkly person. But it's glam in our own rustic, comfortable sort of way when combined with the look of the venue. At least that's what I'm going for!

I can't think of any really personal little touches though. One thing is that I looove baked treats and my fiance loooves candy, so our treat table is going to be kind of insane. We're having our close friends and family bake our/their fav cookies and cakes and things, so that's a bit of a personal touch. I'm going to have little signs that say "Jane's famous chocolate chip cookies", which I think is kind of cute.
    Now I'm going to try to think of any super personal touches we could add!

Ummm… I'd like an invite please ;) I'm with you… every detail about our day is going to be "us". There is really nothing that will be "by the book"… we are writing our own book. That is funny about "Jane's Famous chocolate chip cookies", by brother (Dave) has "famous" choc chip cookies too. He is making a big version of those cookies that we will be putting in little paper sleeves with our wedding info on it for table favors.