Let's Get Started, "The Recipe"

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
Ok, there are 20 people here now, so lets get started.

I will write the full explanation and then summarize it at the end to a "post card" size.

You know how long winded I am, but I have reasons for everything. If you don't know the underlying reason, you may wander or stray from the principle, and not achieve the same results. Heck, I don't know if this will work on anybody. I have done it over ten times and only once did it have a lesser degree of loss. 9 out of 10 times I lost from 3-6 lbs (from the previous week weigh-in).

I will make each of the (7) days, right in a row after this post. Please do not respond or ask questions until I finish all 7 days.

Dan

Replies

• DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Day One (Monday for me)

Food:________Eat your normal Keto food. 70-80% fat, under 40 grams carbs
    Calories:_____"Be good!" (definition of "Be good": don't go too far over, under is OK. I am ASSUMING you have a deficit of some sort) ~ If you don't, get one.
    Protein:______Normal (medium)
    Exercise:_____None
    Food restrictions: as I said before, lay off the Artificial non-caloric sweeteners, limit to one small packet a day
    Coffee:_______I don't drink it, so I have no idea what it will do. From all the reports I read, its a good thing.
    Water:________8-10 cups a day, DO NOT DRINK MORE THAN THIS! You don't need too.
    Vitamins, minerals and meds: Do what you normally do.

Weigh yourself, BUT do not report to MFP. Just write it down somewhere. We will analyse later.
  • DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Day Two (Tuesday for me)

Calories:_____"Be good!" (definition of "Be good": don't go too far over, under is OK. I am ASSUMING you have a deficit of some sort) ~ If you don't, get one.
    Food restrictions: as I said before, lay off the Artificial non-caloric sweeteners, limit to one small packet a day
    Coffee:_______I don't drink it, so I have no idea what it will do. From all the reports I read, its a good thing.
    Weigh yourself, BUT do not report to MFP. Just write it down somewhere. We will analyse later.

(This day has same requirements as Monday)
  • DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Day Three (Wednesday for me)

BUT, if you have had problems with constipation, you might want to LAY OFF the CHEESE or whatever food gives you constipation. I noticed when I was in China, they don't use much cheese. The whole time I was there, I didn't get stopped up one time. Day four is your fasting day, and it could cause problems. So, lets preemptively try to avoid constipation before the fast starts! I manage this with Milk of Magnesia. But there have been weeks I forget to use it and I am fine after the fast, but then other weeks, I wished I had taken it!

Make your last meal no later than 9:00 pm.
  • DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Day Four (Thursday for me)

Your water fast started last night.

Don't eat anything this day.

This means NO NIBBLING! You're giving your stomach a rest. And I have (anecdotally) think when I nibbled, I didn't have the same results (always less weight lost). Can I scientifically prove this? No. But, lets try it this way first, then you try it your way the next time, and report back to the group.

I up my water intake by two cups, that is 10-12 cups per day. ONLY drink this amount of water!

This is important. Timing of water drinking! Drink 6-8 cups by LUNCHTIME. Drink, all but one cup before dinner. Then drink the last cup before going to sleep. DO NOT FORGET and then try TO DRINK A BUNCH OF WATER BEFORE BEDTIME! Why? Because one drawback of fasting is that it "energizes" you and you may have problems with sleep. You don't want to be peeing all night waking you up. Although, peeing is the way your body releases the fat when it is burned. I think this is called the Kreb Cycle. IDK, and I don't care. But, fasting will release water. I hope you can make it through this. I always do. But, if you don't and you get sleep deficit, then manage it some other way or end the program and conclude its not for you.

Electrolytes: All you keto'ers know that if you don't get enough potassium, sodium & magnesium you will get the Keto Flu. I have got this during fasts. The way I manage it is this:

Magnesium: Rain or shine I eat Mag Citrate everyday, or I get leg cramps. I have had no ill effects eating my normal Mag Citrate with the Milk of Magnesia.

Sodium & Potassium: If the preceding days, I salted my food heavily with Lite Salt or No-salt, I don't bother with eating supplemental salt on the Fast day. If I wasn't heavily salting my food before Fast Day, then I usually eat a half teaspoon of No Salt. Usually mixed with Lawry's season salt for taste. I do this to avoid "feeling crummy". This usually happens about 20-24 hours into the fast. I mix the salt, then lick the tip of my finger and touch the salt and eat it. it takes 30 minutes to an hour to do it this way, but that's how I roll. I actually enjoy eating salt. After an hour or two, I feel normal again and go to bed.

If you start to feel crummy, dizzy, start with the salt. If you don't like licking it, do chicken or beef broth. There might be salt pills (I think they have those).

Fasting is great for getting things done, its so refreshing to have so much energy. Plan your day to get things done on that day, and distraction is the best thing if you get cravings. I mean, I don't sit in front of the TV and watch food commercials or "The Food Channel" while I am fasting.

One time during a fast, I had some steaks in the fridge I didn't feel would make it much longer, so I fired up the grill to cook them and take them to work the next day to "break" my fast. EPIC FAILURE.

Vitamins, minerals and meds: Do what you normally do, EXCEPT if you are a diabetic that takes glucose lowering meds, I wouldn't take them! You may go low! Check you levels.

Exercise: STRICTLY forbidden!

• DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Day Five (Friday for me)

Weigh-in day. Do your weigh in and report to MFP. Hopefully you lost weight. If not, do one more 7 day cycle. There has been a couple times that I wasn't happy with my results (maybe only lost one pound) in that case, I continued the fast until dinner time, or on one occasion, until Saturday morning I then stalled the official MFP weigh-in until Day Six (Saturday for me)

I think this is the most important day of the whole week. You can ruin the whole experiment by OVEREATING this day. Break your fast at breakfast, or lunch or dinner. I usually wait until lunch.

BE GOOD today! Don't go over on Carbs, don't go over on calories. It seemed like if I ate even a little over, like 200 -400 calories, my body added back 4 pounds! And try being especially good on Carbs, I sometimes try harder to lessen my carbs on this day. This is day you don't break your fast at a buffet or home cooked meal. Maybe try going to a "weighed" out meal. Or something that is labeled and known. I think you know what I mean.

Exercise. I never did any this day. Try that first. Then if you're brave enough, if you want to do some light cardio, see how it goes and report back to the group.

CONTINUE with Milk of Magnesia if things aren't moving!

Vitamins, electrolytes, meds, resume as normal.

Water: 8-10 cups a day (no more, no less!)

• DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Day Six (Saturday for me)

Now this is a little different for me. I do my exercise this day. Its usually doing my E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program

First, you don't have to exercise!!!

If you do exercise, it need to be intense enough to give you some "soreness". This will cause your body to absorb water in the healing process. You will gain water weight from the fasting AND the soreness. I have found that if I do a subsequent fast the next Thursday, my body "heals" near the night that I fast and releases more water. Its incredible. I have lost up to 6 pounds on the following Thursday IF I do the day 1-7 again the same way. I will lose the 2 lbs I gained after the fast and 4 lbs lost from the previous weigh-in.

Again, you will gain weight back!!!!! Don't worry about it. If you follow the steps over again and BE GOOD, it will all happen again each week. 3-6 lbs @ week loss over the previous week.

Since I use the Ketonix ketone breath analyser, I have noticed that my body is STILL producing a lot of ketones ~ even though I have stopped the fast the day before. This is another day to "be good" and allow your body to keep burning the fat. With that said, I do eat a few more carbs than normal, BUT it right BEFORE I do my intense workout ~ NOT afterwards.

CONTINUE with Milk of Magnesia if things aren't moving!

Vitamins, electrolytes, meds, resume as normal.

Water: 8-10 cups a day (no more, no less!)
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Day Seven (Sunday for me)

(This day has same requirements as Monday)
  • DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Disclaimer:

Void where prohibited. No representation or warranty, express or implied, with respect to the completeness, accuracy, fitness for a particular purpose, or utility of these materials or any information or opinion contained herein. Actual mileage may vary. Any resemblance to actual people, living or dead, or events, past, present or future, is purely coincidental. No purchase necessary. Not recommended for children under 12. Read at your own risk. Ask your doctor or pharmacist. Parental guidance advised. Always read the label. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Discontinue use of this product if any of the following occurs: itching, aching, vertigo, dizziness, ringing in your ears, vomiting, giddiness, aural or visual hallucinations, tingling in extremities, loss of balance or coordination, slurred speech, temporary blindness, drowsiness, insomnia, profuse sweating, shivering, or heart palpitations. This supersedes all previous disclaimers.

The information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable. However, no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information is implied. No liability is accepted for errors, omissions or inadequacies in the information contained herein or for interpretations thereof. The reader assumes sole responsibility for the selection of these materials to achieve its intended results. The opinions expressed herein are subject to change without notice. Repeat as necessary. Do not look directly into light. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results. :)

• DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    OK, I am sure I left something big out. I am tired because today I "labored" on my shed. Got the doors on and its waterproof now. Need to paint it. But this is going to be a short work week. I have lost so much weight, I'm going to my 40th high school reunion next Saturday night (Lord willing) in Dallas, Texas (Where my other two grown up children live) Yahoo! I'll be fasting and travelling next Thursday. Will be there until Monday. My boss is hating me for all this, oh well, he'll get over it.

Now its time to clarify things, fire away with your questions... :)

• DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Summary:

Day one: Normal Keto, no exercise
    Day two: Normal Keto, no exercise
    Day three: Normal Keto + Preemptive Constipation Alert! No exercise
    Day four: Skip eating this day, no exercise, drink all water early in day, don't cook delicious food!
    Day five: MFP Weigh-in day, no exercise, Break Fast & BE GOOD!
    Day six: Normal Keto, Exercise this day, BE GOOD
    Day seven: Normal Keto, no exercise

Repeat at least one full cycle again (two weeks total)

Report your results on this group (I start another post).

Enjoy, Dan
  • havingfunnow
    havingfunnow Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing-it's easy to understand too. Glad U got your laboring accomplished on your shed this labor day :) So excited for you and your high school reunion-bet U can't wait! And, to see your kids-Bonus!
  • Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Okay then!!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    OK. I will start soon.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Disclaimer:

Void where prohibited. No representation or warranty, express or implied, with respect to the completeness, accuracy, fitness for a particular purpose, or utility of these materials or any information or opinion contained herein. Actual mileage may vary. Any resemblance to actual people, living or dead, or events, past, present or future, is purely coincidental. No purchase necessary. Not recommended for children under 12. Read at your own risk. Ask your doctor or pharmacist. Parental guidance advised. Always read the label. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Discontinue use of this product if any of the following occurs: itching, aching, vertigo, dizziness, ringing in your ears, vomiting, giddiness, aural or visual hallucinations, tingling in extremities, loss of balance or coordination, slurred speech, temporary blindness, drowsiness, insomnia, profuse sweating, shivering, or heart palpitations. This supersedes all previous disclaimers.

The information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable. However, no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information is implied. No liability is accepted for errors, omissions or inadequacies in the information contained herein or for interpretations thereof. The reader assumes sole responsibility for the selection of these materials to achieve its intended results. The opinions expressed herein are subject to change without notice. Repeat as necessary. Do not look directly into light. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results. :)

LOL! Step right up! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRHgE2Yi3To
  • Everlost_
    Everlost_ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'll start yesterday, normal keto day, no exercise. Check. I did weigh myself yesterday and today and didn't log it to MFP. I've created a Word doc on my desktop with the summary and my daily weigh ins. I have to drop my current daily water by about 20 oz a day but that won't be a problem. My plan for Saturday exercise is to utilize our Bowflex. I can certainly work out enough on there to feel it the next day. Now, just gotta remember to fast on Thursday and regulate water correctly that day. Lets do this. :smiley:
  • britzen
    britzen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Looks like I follow the "normal" keto (1-3,7) days anyway, so i'll make tomorrow my fast day. That will correspond to Hillbilly shoppin' day for resupply. I will have to drop my water as I usually drink 12-16, looks like less runs to the spring! Weighed myself this morning and wrote it down.
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    OK.
    the plot thickens ....
    broke fast today after first 36 hour fast. feeling pretty good. zero weigh loss but probably due to overhydration.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    OK.
    the plot thickens ....
    broke fast today after first 36 hour fast. feeling pretty good. zero weigh loss but probably due to overhydration.

2 cups of water weigh a little over one pound.

• DittoDan
    Options
    After Thoughts

Ok, I have more tidbits. This woke me up, thinking of all the stuff I didn't mention.

1) I forgot to mention that I rarely eat breakfast. Thats been my whole life, I'd rather sleep a few more minutes (if I can), I have insomnia on occasion as I try to solve all my problems, work problems and the world's problems. So I guess I sorta do Intermittent Fasting (IF). But it is never planned and I don't set any "window" of time to eat. I usually eat lunch, but dinner can be from 6:00 to 11:00 pm. I'm a two meal person. So, I'm not sure if that needs to be fit into the recipe...what do you think?

2) I have a weird dynamic that happens over and over, and I can't explain it, maybe you know what's going on. First, if I water fast, the second night when I get to sleep, I get cold. So, cold I have to add blankets. Secondly, when I have a really strenuous workout on my EASY exercise plan, I get really hot (while I sleep) on the next day when I am still sore. It goes away when the soreness goes away. I was just curious if this happens to you? Or if you know what it means?

3) During the fast, "If you're not peeing, you ain't losing". That's what I come to realize. And the longer I sleep, the more I pee, the more I pee, the more I lose. I have read that women can swing as much as 10 lbs in short order on their cycle. So, I am really curious what will happen to them if they attempt a fast at that time.

4) You shouldn't have your cholesterol checked right after a day long fast. It will be higher. According to "Cholesterol Clarity". Most of the lipid items in the lipid panel aren't an accurate measure of health. There are much better tests, but unfortunately, many of the better health marker tests aren't covered by insurance.

5) Please read the, "11 Myths of Fasting", that I posted on another discussion.

6) Here's a few more:

Paleo Leap ~ Long Fasts: Dangerous or Beneficial?
    Mark's Daily Apple ~ Why Fast?
    Burn Fat Fast, Live Longer < video
    A compilation of research articles that support intermittent fasting is very good for your health
    The History of Fasting by Jason Fung (long read, I haven't read it yet, but I have seen some of his lectures)

• DittoDan
    Options
    OK.
    the plot thickens ....

How many cups of water did you drink?