Tips and Inspiration

Options
Tips and inspiration will be found here. Check back often to see what's new and feel free to add your own tips and inspiration!

Replies

• kayjosh2422
    kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Portion size is very important when you are trying to lose weight. I bought a food scale that was wonderful to help me learn portion control. Let me say it was a real eye opener. But you don't always have a food scale handy so here is a tool that can help you.

smsph8sh6g3h.jpg
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I love this picture. I forgot to bring my scale with me on deployment and I used those estimations quite a bit to help me log my food. It was rough, not cooking for myself and having to estimate calories consumed, but I've lost roughly 10lbs over the last 3 months so it was better than nothing! :)
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Love this pic that I set it as my wall paper...... :p
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time keeping it together lately with school stressing me out (I'm in an accelerated, online only program), and work having me there full time. Any tips for busy bees?
  • dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh all my food in grams with my scale. It is a pain in the butt to weigh everything, but it does help on losing weight. :)
  • kayjosh2422
    kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time keeping it together lately with school stressing me out (I'm in an accelerated, online only program), and work having me there full time. Any tips for busy bees?

Plan your meals ahead of time for the week. Pack healthy snacks and meals so your not tempted to grab fast food or high calorie food.

Healthy Snacks for busy People Ideas found here: fannetasticfood.com/2013/04/24/healthy-snack-ideas-for-busy-people/

5 Meal Strategies to Simplify a Busy Lifestyle found here: creativesavingsblog.com/meal-planning/5-meal-strategies-simplify-busy-lifestyle/

Hope some of these help

• matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Started this journey weighing at 270.4 pounds June 2015 as of today i am at 182.2. Still have a few pounds to go to re hit my all time low of 176 pounds. I found that taking my goal and turning it into small one 10 pound mini goals its not as overwhelming. In my head losing 10 pounds sounds easier that 100 pounds. This has helped me keep to going. So 8 mini goals down and 2 more to go.
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Started this journey weighing at 270.4 pounds June 2015 as of today i am at 182.2. Still have a few pounds to go to re hit my all time low of 176 pounds. I found that taking my goal and turning it into small one 10 pound mini goals its not as overwhelming. In my head losing 10 pounds sounds easier that 100 pounds. This has helped me keep to going. So 8 mini goals down and 2 more to go.

Sorry June 2014 not 2015 that i started losing weight
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options

I know your pain-I also work full time but have been studying a long distance Masters (so all online) on top of that.

I am definitely a stress eater, boredom eater, and I love snacking when I'm studying, just can't seem to resist.

If mindlessly snacking when you're studying is a problem for you, I found that it was more to do with the fact that I needed something to do with my hands to slightly distract myself, yet still be able to study. I found that buying a small foam or rubber ball (one that can easily fit in the palm of your hand) was a great help; I would sit there studying and just throwing it up and down, from hand to hand. Really helped me cut down on the amount of snacks I was eating.

If it is stress eating, that one is tougher, especially if it is a habit you have had for most of your life! I found that actually telling myself that I was just stress eating and that it wouldn't make the stress any better helped. Or I would go for a walk, give a mate or my parents a call and have a vent, or just put some music in and go for a walk/jog around the block.

If it is finding the time to exercise that is a pain, unfortunately I have nothing for that :( Just break up your studying with a few minutes of activity, push ups, sit ups, etc. Try getting up early if you can to work out (a hell of a lot harder than it sounds!).

I hope some of that helped, you are not alone! :)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    Options
    OK, I am a bit of a comic book geek. I also lack motivation to work out; when I do I love it, but it is just the thought of it! I'm not a big fan of cardio, but love weight training. However, I don't have a gym membership, just dumbbells at home. I stumbled across deebee's workouts (deebee.com), and they are BRILLIANT. Can easily be done at home without any equipment (although I add dumbbells to each routine), a multitude of levels, can be completed in as little or as much time as you want, and as they are all named after comic book or film or book characters, it is pretty motivating and fun to go through all the different ones. Anyway, here is one of my favourites-haven't tried it without the dumbbells, and I only use light ones but it is killer-I really feel it the next day :)

sandsnake-workout.jpg
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    Options
    Apologies, the website for the above is darebee.com, not deebee.com!
  • JLH024
    JLH024 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Meal planning!!
    I'm currently in school, on mat leave with a 3 yr old and 7 month old, and planning our wedding! It's super busy but take one day a week and set a menu, grab everything you'll need and go at it! It's a time and effort saver for sure! Good luck!
  • Nance_61
    Nance_61 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sleep. As much as possible ... try to get enough sleep. When I'm tired ... I want to eat ... and not lettuce. Not always easy though so meal planning helps a ton. The other goofy thing that I do when I am reallllly feeling "skittish" and no other distractions are working to keep me away from mindless fridge surfing, I have this little game app on my BB called 2048 (I'm telling you, this is goofy). I play one super quick game.. takes less than 1 minute and it is usually sufficient to redirect my brain away from what I "think" is hunger but is usually "boredome" or "lazy" or "tired". So far .. it does help.
  • LadyScorpio67
    LadyScorpio67 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    "Forget about the consequences of failure. Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success."~ Denis Waitley
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It helped me immensely to cut down on TV. I hardly watch it anymore, and I've noticed my need to graze when I'm not hungry is gone. Such a weird association!