Boston 2016 Registration Day

STrooper
STrooper Posts: 659 Member
Just a reminder, if you are interested, that today is the first day for registration for the Boston Marathon (2016) if you've met the qualification goal by 20 minutes or more. Of course, if you've been working towards this goal, you already knew that.

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Yes, my calendar reminder is set for 10 AM today. There are advantages to being an old fart. :)
  • MobyCarp
    Got through the registration screens about 10:24. Got the email confirmation of submission at 10:36. The system was able to verify my BQ time at Buffalo automatically, per the submission confirmation. My credit card shows a $180 charge pending from Boston Athletic Association. I'm pretty confident that I'm in, though it won't be official till I get an email saying it is.

Now I wait for that confirmation, and wait for my training buddies to register and get confirmed. One of them can register on Wednesday, the other has to wait till next Monday.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    I won't be running this year, but I hope to get a fresh BQ in Chicago and maybe go for 2017....but maybe I'll do a dream race instead. we shall see!! It was fun last year but the weather sucked; I would love to see the difference in atmosphere when its not freezing, raining and head winding :)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Moby:

Congrats!

Carrie:

I'm working towards a 2017 attempt as well.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    My AG goes up for 2017. So I am shooting for that. LOL I need a 3:25 (or at least 5 minutes below that) for my full in December. If I don't get a good enough time, comtemplating a spring marathon. We will see.
  • MobyCarp
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    My AG goes up for 2017. So I am shooting for that. LOL I need a 3:25 (or at least 5 minutes below that) for my full in December. If I don't get a good enough time, comtemplating a spring marathon. We will see.

The largest historical cutoff was 98 seconds, so if your target is 3:25 running even 3:21 should be pretty comfortable for getting in. Of course, there's a bunch of chatter on the BAA FB page from people who can't register till Friday and are anxious; but they really don't have much to be anxious about. (Says the guy who stopped worrying when the confirmation of submission said his Buffalo time was verified.)

I've got a running buddy who beat his BQ target by just less than 5 minutes. He can't register till next Monday, but he's confident we'll be training together. I'll be leaning a bit on his experience of having run Boston in 2014.

• MobyCarp
    It's official. Got the email confirming my acceptance at 10:24 this morning, after registration opened for the minus 10 minute crowd at 10.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Very nice! You must be excited!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Congrats @MobyCarp !! Exciting!! I hope to run 2017 as a charity runner for the Arthritis Foundation.
  • Wendy98
    Wendy98 Posts: 72 Member
    See you there Moby. I registered Monday and got the email yesterday. My qualifying race was this year's Boston, so it wasn't hard to verify,
  • Stoshew71
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    It's official. Got the email confirming my acceptance at 10:24 this morning, after registration opened for the minus 10 minute crowd at 10.

A big Congrats!
  • MobyCarp
    Today at 10 AM Eastern, registration opened for those who beat their BQ target by 5 minutes. One of my training buddies registered, and he says he'll go nuts if he doesn't get acceptance by Sunday. My other training buddy has to wait till Monday to register, assuming there isn't a cutoff greater than 5 minutes.

I hope to train with both of them.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    So exciting. Glad you are going.
  • Stoshew71
    It just got harder to get into Boston. Only 5,000 spots open for all time qualifiers which opened up yesterday. Last year 8,000 spots open for 10,000 people that tried to get in at the last minute.

http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/it-just-became-even-tougher-to-get-into-boston?cid=soc_Running Times Magazine - RunningTimesMagazine_FBPAGE_Runner’s World__News_Races

I wonder what next year will look like when i hope I will get a shot. Dayum!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    It just got harder to get into Boston. Only 5,000 spots open for all time qualifiers which opened up yesterday. Last year 8,000 spots open for 10,000 people that tried to get in at the last minute.

http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/it-just-became-even-tougher-to-get-into-boston?cid=soc_Running Times Magazine - RunningTimesMagazine_FBPAGE_Runner’s World__News_Races

Yeah, I doubt it's going to get any easier either. I am also hoping to qualify for 2017. I don't think I will feel comfortable with anything less than a 2 minute cushion. On the plus side, I'll hit the 45 year old age bracket for 2018 (hooray for the extra 10!), so as long as I can maintain my current PR... On the other hand, 2018 is a looonnggg ways away!

• Stoshew71
    lporter229 wrote: »

Yeah, I doubt it's going to get any easier either. I am also hoping to qualify for 2017. I don't think I will feel comfortable with anything less than a 2 minute cushion. On the plus side, I'll hit the 45 year old age bracket for 2018 (hooray for the extra 10!), so as long as I can maintain my current PR... On the other hand, 2018 is a looonnggg ways away!

I also go up an age bracket next year. I was hoping to get a 3:25 this December at Rocket City. If I want in, it looks like I need a 3:23. Yikes!
  • MobyCarp

Yeah, I'd be sweating with my 3:21 if I were qualifying as a 45 year old. Fortunately, I'm qualifying as a 60 year old. :)

I'm in, and the training buddy who registered on Friday is in. We're hoping the other training buddy, who only beat his time by 4 minutes and change, will also be in.

• Stoshew71
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Yeah, I'd be sweating with my 3:21 if I were qualifying as a 45 year old. Fortunately, I'm qualifying as a 60 year old. :)

I'm in, and the training buddy who registered on Friday is in. We're hoping the other training buddy, who only beat his time by 4 minutes and change, will also be in.

Wow. Let me know if they make it in or not. You would think with a 4 minute margin they should.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    I'm also in!! Woohoo! See you all there. Still looking for Stow's monthly challenge
  • MobyCarp
    Cutoff for Boston 2016 is 2:28 below the BQ target. I'm in, and one training buddy was in from week 1 registration. My other training buddy is in, with 4:03 below his BQ target. It's nice to have a training group.