Shoulders/Neck

Options
Slainte831
Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
So, I brought home my beloved bike a couple of weeks ago, and have been out riding several times. She is a Cannondale Synapse road bike. It's been a blast to go farther and faster each ride.

The thing is, my shoulders and neck, and my lower left back muscle (in the small of my back), hurt while I'm out there (once I'm off the bike, I'm fine). I'm sure it's because I'm 51 and haven't been riding in 20 years. Any ideas of how to get past this discomfort, other than riding more until I build up strength? Any exercises or stretches I could do? During rides I find myself sitting up and rolling my shoulders in an effort to ease some of the tension. I'm sure that isn't good for avoiding wind resistance, lol!

Thanks!

Replies

• christinak74
    christinak74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Here are a few articles with some helpful info. http://www.ilovebicycling.com/neck-pain-cycling/
    http://www.ilovebicycling.com/core-exercises-to-eliminate-back-pain/

It will get better as you put more and more miles on. Core exercises have really helped me. I am assuming you were fitted when you bought your bike? A few tweaks may also be needed. Hope it gets better!
  • Slainte831
    Options
    Thank you!

Yes, there was some fitting - it didn't seem too in-depth though, more to make sure the pedals and saddle were properly aligned. I asked that the handlebars be raised a touch and was told that doing so would put too much pressure on my lower back, so the bike shop guy did not adjust those. But something has to be slightly 'off' since I get soreness in that lower back muscle on one side only.
  • christinak74
    christinak74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You're welcome! It can take a bit to get dialed in. Which means taking your bike back in for small adjustments, then a few rides to see how it works out. Little bit of a pain, but worth it. :)
  • Slainte831
    Options
    Yep, esp since the store I bought it from is an hour away :(

It will be worth it in the end, though!
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    A proper bike fit is crucial to maintaining comfort on a long ride. You might try and have the handlebars raised so that you have a more upright position.
  • patioq
    patioq Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    search out a shop that carries TREK, I had the TREK system fitting, most complex exam ever. And it work very very well.
  • Slainte831
    Options
    Does it have to be a trek bike you buy from the store? Or could I bring in my Cannondale?
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    For me, the key is to experiment until you find what works for you. I don't pay much attention to experts in bike shops, they tend to be a bit 'one-twoo-way'ish. The best thing is simply to adjust your bike until it feels comfortable for you. It doesn't matter if you adjust it and it makes it worse, you can just adjust it back and you've learned what doesn't work. I like a high saddle and a fairly upright position and I don't get any back pain, despite being a big girl.
  • Slainte831
    Options
    Did 16 miles yesterday (which is a long distance for me) and was ok. Maybe I am getting stronger?!? Might try some minor adjustments at home -- good idea! :)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    For me, the key is to experiment until you find what works for you. I don't pay much attention to experts in bike shops, they tend to be a bit 'one-twoo-way'ish. The best thing is simply to adjust your bike until it feels comfortable for you. It doesn't matter if you adjust it and it makes it worse, you can just adjust it back and you've learned what doesn't work. I like a high saddle and a fairly upright position and I don't get any back pain, despite being a big girl.

Absolutely agree, over the last month I have been raising the saddle and pushing it back slowly. This weekend I've dropped the head down. Each time I feel better and stronger, some is due to more time on the bike, but some is getting more flexible riding a CX rather than a MTB. I would be interested seeing the difference of each position with a powermeter but my pockets are not that deep.

Have fun

• mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    @Slainte831 I had the same issue first off-road, and then again on-road while riding my new drop bar Roadie. Yoga cured the issues both times. Planks were particularly effective for me in quickly improving both core and shoulder strength. Best part is I lost a lot of inches around my waist quickly too! Give 'em both a try.