Sleeve expanding

Options
Can our sleeve expand?

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    There are different answers to this question. I can tell you that my doctor told me I could not stretch out my sleeve, that he had removed all the stretchy part of my stomach. He said as the stomach totally heals we can naturally eat more, it's because the swelling from the surgery goes down and he said that can take months to happen. He also said that protein dense foods like meats will always tend to make us feel fuller faster than say crackers. He said that as we chew carb type foods (like the crackers, cookies, chips, etc.) they almost liquify in our mouths and that's why they are so easy to over eat on, they don't make us feel full like a piece of chicken would. So eating carbs gives the illusion of being able to eat more. This past Saturday we went out to eat and I ordered a dinner that I knew was too much but makes a great leftover meal. It came with two sides, I chose a cup of chili and green beans. I ate the chili and that was it. A couple bites of the pulled pork and I was done. That cup of chili, thick with meat and beans, filled me right up and I am 4 years out now.

Can we out eat our sleeves and regain? Absolutely! Per my doctor, any of the WLS surgeries only work as long as we stick to the plan. We can outeat any of them. The whole trick to keeping it off is the same as losing it. Stick to the plan, stay within protein and calories goals, and exercise regularly.
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    That was an awesome answer pawoodhull. Thanks for sharing that.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Qbaimee wrote: »
    That was an awesome answer pawoodhull. Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks! Like I said, there are different opinions on this, I'm only repeating what my doctor told me.

Pat

• capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    wonderful answer - I've gained 8 lbs. in 18 months, as I have said before. need to lose it before it goes to 10. back to protein and walking more.
  • capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    saw your before and after pictures - that is amazing - you are doing such a great job.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My doctor also told me that the sleeve cannot expand but naturally, the food choices that you make can reflect if you loose or gain weight. It is important to always monitor what we are eating and try and stick to protein & healthy foods for the most part.
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Me three! My doctor also said it is impossible to stretch out your stomach anywhere near what it was before (remember they remove 75 - 85% of it). The swelling will go down and the stomach will naturally relax several months after surgery so you will eventually be able to consume more, but it is still much less than what you could pre-sleeve. But like any other form of weight loss, food choice and lifestyle are still the #1 and #2 ways you will continue to lose and keep the weight off.
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My doctor said pretty much the same thing as pawoodhull. He said people tend to eat junk and graze all day, and that's where the weight gain comes in along with lack of exercise. The portion of stomach that remains doesn't have the stretching ability like the part that's been removed. I'm only about 5 weeks out, but given how things feel if I take that one bite too much, that thing is NEVER going to stretch! I did speak with him by chance yesterday and he also mentioned some of the swelling in the stomach remains for a while after surgery
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    When you choose to eat the slider foods (higher carb, processed stuff) you will be able to eat more too. Try to stick with lower carb options. They are more satisfying to me! Good luck!