Sleeved 8/27 scared I will fail

Options
Please Add me. I was sleeved 8/27 down 20lbs. However I have a scary feeling that I'm gonna not going to loose much weight. On purée foods but feel I can eat more than I should. Need as much help, support, motivation as possible. I know why I did it but not sure how to stay on track.

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hang in there --- you can do this. I, too, have found that I can eat more than I thought I would be able to and I DO get hungry (something others are lucky enough not to have occur) but it just means that I have to remain more conscious of what I am doing and not doing. If I follow the plan, then I do see loss. Stick with your program and know it will work.
  • AlexisUPenn
    AlexisUPenn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Since purée foods aren't very dense it may be harder to feel the restriction. Stick to your surgeons guidelines for the amount of food you should be eating. Mine was 1/4 cup or 2 oz at a meal. Once you go to regular foods it will be easier to feel the restriction.
  • shortypage1123
    shortypage1123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and yes stick to what your doctors told you. Make sure you are getting all of your fluids in that will help with filling full also. It does get better you are still new to everything and you have to listen to your body not your "head hunger". My stomach made all kinds of noises but I would just drink my water if it was not time for protein. Good luck on your journey. You can do this!
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think we have each felt that we were going to fail after the surgery. I will repeat what others have said, because it is true. Just stick to your surgeon's guidelines and you will be fine. I am going to tell you what another vet told me. You only have half of a stomach now, and are on reduced calories. You will experience plateaus, they are unavoidable, but preserver through and you will see the weight loss. A couple of days after I transitioned to real (soft) food, I ate too much at dinner. Believe me, my body told me this, and I lost part of my dinner. Your new stomach will tell you when you have overeaten, or eaten something that it doesn't like. Good luck on your journey, it gets easier.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You are thinking the same thing I thought. I was sure I would be the first person in history who didn't lose any weight after surgery. I was wrong and you will be too. Once you are on real food, you will feel the restriction--especially when eating denser foods, like hamburger. Have faith, you will continue to lose as long as you stick to the program you were given.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    It is not uncommon to have feelings like this. I think many of us can relate. If you follow the guidelines given by your surgery center, you will absolutely lose weight. I am a firm believer that what we focus on, we get. If I focus on my fear, I attract the very thing I am afraid of. The more convinced I am I will fail, the more likely it is I will do so. When I catch myself having thoughts around "failing" or gaining weight back or what have you, I remind myself how much better it feels to think about my success and I shift my thinking. Some times I cannot "turn around" my negative thoughts about fear of failure in weight loss to comletely positive thoughts, so then I go very general. For example, today I might have a hard time believing the thought "I will be successful at losing X number of pounds and keeping it off". But if I "go general" to something like "I am able to take good care of my body" or "I am whole, complete, and perfect just as I am", or "Everything is always working out for me"--- it can be easy for me to shift from a negative to a positive mindset. The shift to positive does not have to be about weight loss per se-- it is more important to just make the shift in thinking. Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress!
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @chevakia You can absolutely do this! Physically, your body can achieve what you want it to. Recognize now that your real battle is not physical, it is mental. Make yourself mentally strong and your body will follow suit!

I failed at diet/exercise pre-surgery. I failed at diet/exercise post-surgery. But I keep getting up after each stumble, tumble, or crash and I keep moving forward. You will face many obstacles on your journey to becoming the healthiest you possible, but perseverance, self-love and acceptance will get you to your journey's end.

Best wishes and congratulations on your success thus far!!!

Jess