Calorie Goals

Options
JaeSky
JaeSky Posts: 48 Member
Does anyone else feel totally out of place in conversations on MFP when people start talking about '1200' calorie goals... as a very tall very overweight girl, even for losing 2lbs a week my calorie goal is closer to 1700!

Replies

• Staceyblewin
    Staceyblewin Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yea, it's a struggle cause it messes with my mind. I tried 1200 and I felt awful all the time. MPF has my goal at 1930 but I aim for 1800 now and feel much better
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I stay at my BMR which is just above 1600. Lost the first 10 kg or so eating at 1800 though.. I still have difficulties some days sticking to my goal, so I don't understand how others can manage at 1200.. :o
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Just wait until the weight has fallen off.

I'm about to begin the taper from the 1kg/2lb a week loss to 0.5/1lb a week, because even at 186cm, mfp is telling me I should be eating 1290 a day when I'm still 106kg/230lbs (this is on sedentary settings). So thankful for exercise Calories.
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is considered a Very Low Calorie Diet and should really only be undertaken for a short period of time unless under medical supervision. A basic rule of thumb for calculating your calories is work on 1g of protein per pound of body mass. This is irrespective of your height. It doesn't matter if you're 6'3 or 5'1 and 180lbs then you should start with a base of 180g of protein and reevaluate as the weight comes off. Carbs and fats macros can be calculated as a percentage depending on your goals.
    You should never feel as though you need to exercise to earn a meal - unless it's a "cheat meal"
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    fi_b wrote: »
    1200 calories is considered a Very Low Calorie Diet and should really only be undertaken for a short period of time unless under medical supervision. A basic rule of thumb for calculating your calories is work on 1g of protein per pound of body mass. This is irrespective of your height. It doesn't matter if you're 6'3 or 5'1 and 180lbs then you should start with a base of 180g of protein and reevaluate as the weight comes off. Carbs and fats macros can be calculated as a percentage depending on your goals.
    You should never feel as though you need to exercise to earn a meal - unless it's a "cheat meal"

In case this was directed at my comment, I should have probably written my post a bit better. This is what MFP tells me I should eat at sedentary, at 103kg and 6'1 / 186cm for a 1kg/2lb per week weight loss; it's not what I actually eat. Anything below 1400 Calories at someone in the 6'0 + category seems positively silly to me, let along 1200.

Since my exercise is regular from week to week, I use a TDEE method, which puts me at 1850-ish daily at TDEE -30%, and I'm still losing about 0.75kg a week on avg.
  • tallmamaoftwo
    tallmamaoftwo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 185cm, currently at 194 pounds. I have a goal setting of 1 lb a week, and MFP tells me to eat 1600 cal a day. Most days I eat the entire amount (plus exercise calories) ... I could not see much less.

I am looking for other tall women as friends for support, feel free to add me. I keep an open food diary and have lost 19 pounds so far :)