General question about squats and crunches?

Options
steponebyone
steponebyone Posts: 123 Member
So I'm a 5'9 lady, and my question is pretty general. So I've learned that their isn't such a thing as spot reduce, and I can't target a problem area and try to get rid of it... but do squats really give you a better butt? Also, will doing hundreds of excess crunches give you good abs? This question may sound silly, but if I just want to target certain areas to be more "tone", is it possible to do these specific exercises to achieve the results? I have been mainly thinking about adding squats to my daily exercising because I want a more toned butt. Lol. Also, if I added them, how many would be a good amount to start with? Let me know what y'all think about this ridiculous question. :)

Replies

• glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    When you squat, you want to go lower than parallel to your knees, so make sure your butt goes lower than your knees (without hurting yourself obviously). Clench your butt to help you come up and that will work it to the best advantage. If you go higher than parallel you end up working the quads more.

To start with though, you should always make sure your form is on point. Your feet should be slightly wider than shoulder width apart, feet turned slightly outwards. When you squat you should never hunch or bow your back. Keep your eye line low and lean your chest forward a little bit so that your back remains straight. But don't tee pee your butt. It should go out a little bit but not like a hooker on a street corner, you know. :tongue:

Start with 10 or 20 squats, if that's too easy add another 10 and so on. I generally like to do as many as I can + 5 more. Squats are a strength exercise so build them up.

Ultimately, the best thing you can do is mix it up. Your body will get used to the same exercises over and over. So squat one day, lunge the next, crunch then do bridges and bicycles. As for making it booty-licous then you won't get that until you're on maintenance or above. Any strength work you do now will help to maintain your muscle mass. You won't gain muscle until you eat an energy surplus (calorie surplus aka bulking).

I hope this helps. :smile:
  • Six5
    Six5 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Squats will help tone your butt if you do them as described above but step ups and glute bridges will help a lot.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I love your explanation @glassofroses! Lol. I haven't perfected the squat either but glute bridges are pretty awesome & don't kill my knees. It's an awkward movement though, haha.