c25k!

Options
Hey everyone, today I just finished week two of the C25k program! I honestly didn't think I would be able to do day one of week one, but here it is and I have six workouts finished.

I feel so flipping strong. Has anyone else done the program, are you in it now or are you contemplating it? I am using the android c25k app.

Man, I feel good.

Jan

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Its been great watching your progress. The mental benefits of exercise are as powerful as the physical! Congrats and keep up the great work!
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I think that's true. I am striving not to become injured. That is tops for me. I might be going slower than I need to, I keep reminding myself to rest and not to push it.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think that's true. I am striving not to become injured. That is tops for me. I might be going slower than I need to, I keep reminding myself to rest and not to push it.

Absolutely! Persistence and regularity over intensity was the biggest exercise change I made in this process. You are a RockStar!!!
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am also doing the c25k program. I am on week 3. I am finding myself looking forward to my workouts, something that never happened in the past!
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Jan. I am doing the C25k, I am in week 9, I have already completed my first 5k and plan to do 2 more in October. I didn't think I could do it, but the C25k plan makes it easier, the interval training helps so much. I may run slow but I run. The first time I did a 3 minute run I was excited, now I can run 30 minutes straight. Like I say, I may be slow. Next step is to do the bridge to 10k.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I started the c25k in July. i was training for a 5k in Oct but was convinced to do one Sept 11. So glad I did! I have tried this before and never successful. This time I had the mindset of "who cares if I have to walk some if I have to".Weeks 4 and 5 were always the killer. This time I repeated the day if I couldn't do it. I have repeated several. When I started, I could barely run a couple minutes. That 5k on Sept 11, I ran the whole thing in 33 min!!! Today I ran 4.8 miles without walking in 48 min. What????? Me??? Ya, it is amazing. Stick with it. You will be happy you did!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Whatever speed you're going--it's probably not too slow. :) That's pretty much the cardinal rule of beginner running--if you want to stay injury free, stay on your feet and slow down!

I did something a little like C25K starting back at the end of January (not quite as regimented, just a nice, easy, alternating walk-run 3-5 days a week). Now, I can run for 90 minutes at a time on my long runs. I'm still really slow (average about 11-11:30 minutes per mile inside, and 12-ish outside), but I chalk that up to really short legs and a gimpy hip. I've never been happier about sticking with something, though!

Keep on kicking!
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I finished it a few months ago. I'm doing to 10k one now. I've almost finished it too! I remember the first day I started the c25K, day 1 almost killed me. Now I can run 6 miles without stopping. I love the program!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I started that recently and love it! Two years ago when I was pushing 400 lbs, I NEVER would have thought this girl would actually RUN!
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've really been thinking about trying it lately, it seems kind of daunting, but you guys inspire me :)
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How does the app work. Does it tell me during the "run" when it is time to switch from walking to running and vice versa?
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Pennysteed, Yes it tells you to JOG and then to Walk, it will also tell you during your run that you are half way if you are on a long run. you have to set it up if you want verbal cues in the setups so make sure they are on. If not it will just vibrate when to switch from on to the other. I have mine set to verbal cues and have music on, and it works just fine. I got an arm holder for my phone because without it I was experiencing the skips and jumps when trying to put my phone in my belt.
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Since I can't run due to my total knee replacement I'm going to live vicariously through everyone doing the program. Way to go.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    gardendoc wrote: »
    Since I can't run due to my total knee replacement I'm going to live vicariously through everyone doing the program. Way to go.

I'll be right there beside you, I've had both knees done

• gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan to me badhair
  • ErinCoury
    ErinCoury Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I finished it last year and was able to run on my own about 4 miles a day. This year after I gave birth I went back to the program, never finished and just ran my first 10k on Sunday the 27th and I ran all 6.21 miles and never looked back! I'm half tempted to run a half marathon next year :)
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    ErinCoury wrote: »
    I finished it last year and was able to run on my own about 4 miles a day. This year after I gave birth I went back to the program, never finished and just ran my first 10k on Sunday the 27th and I ran all 6.21 miles and never looked back! I'm half tempted to run a half marathon next year :)

You should! I did my first 10k on Saturday--and have a half in February. :)