Anyone have about 40 lbs to lose?

Options
i deferred my Chicago entry this year in hopes of being in better shape next year. My goal is to get about 40lb off. I would love a new PR at some point.

Anyone else have a lot to lose to run better?

Replies

• janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I started with about 50 to lose, and I am 27 lbs down. I've run the whole time, but it sure is getting easier now that I've shed some pounds. :) I've always been a "heavy runner," though, even at my healthy weight I weigh a lot.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs this year (while training for 2 halfs). While I'm not sure it is a great idea, you can lose while training. Just be sure to eat maintenance during the last couple weeks before the race so you have the energy for your long runs and the race.
  • christyprunner
    christyprunner Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I still have another 40-50 lbs to lose. I ran my first marathon at about 250 lbs and have run most of my ultras at 225-235 lbs. The weight loss will help you, but you might have surprised yourself in Chicago. Nonetheless I hope your weight loss goes well for next year.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I started with about that much to lose. I've got another 20 or so to go
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've only got 25 to get off, but it's all on my belly, and I have a bad lower back. I'm using 'wanting to run again' as my motivation. I don't know how much pressure a pound of fat puts on the spine, but I read a pound of fat is four pounds of pressure on the knees, so my poor knees are dealing with 100 pounds of useless weight!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    40 is a good goal for me. My BMI chart says I need about 50, but 40 puts me at 170 and I feel pretty good around there. I maintained 165-170 fairly well with little effort (prior to the move and the hell of the new job) so long story short, YES :)
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Me.
    A couple years ago I lost 50 pounds and then started running, got down to 185. Well...then I put 30 back on when I quit smoking and during marathon training- it was a perfect storm. Ran my marathon at 203(ouch) and now back up to 220. I ran a half marathon two weekends ago and I added extra 39 minutes from my half PR. In my defense, I had bronchitis, had not trained and I ran from 10pm to 2am after having woken up at 3am the morning I ran...BUT! It still feels awful to be so dang slow. It's 100% due to my weight. I'm on the downward slide again though so just keep running! Not going to let it keep me from running!
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have about 40 pounds to lose.
    I'm new to running longer distances. I've lost 40 pounds and want to lose 40 more in order to run without as much pain.
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I probably have about 25 or so to lose. I'd like to lose at least 5 of them before the NYCM which is in 5 weeks and change. It is my first marathon so as long as I finish it'll be a PR. I think that training would have been much easier had I lost the weight beforehand, but I like to eat :'(
  • caribbeanbrett
    caribbeanbrett Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have about 100 to lose (for my goal weight). I've been running on and off for the past couple of years (lots of parkruns, several 10Ks, and a couple of half marathons, but haven't been consistent enough to really make a huge dent in my weight loss. Mostly due to my eating habits... But, I'm starting back on MFP again, hoping it'll provide the impetus I need! I have a goal now of somehow losing 100lbs and running the Honolulu Marathon in 2016.

Please feel free to add me as a friend (I could really use some as added motivation!)
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I started with about 20-25 to lose (which is a lot on my small frame!) and have lost 10 or so lbs and am hoping to get another 10-15 off by the time my next race series starts. I am registering for a winter race circuit that includes a 5k, 10K, Half, 15K and 30K. All in preparation for a May marathon/half marathon. Which reminds me, I need to register for that series. And I guess the marathon, since my husband told me to go big or go home.

I've never done anything longer than a half and only did that once. I lost a few pounds while training for it, and then after got super lazy and gained it back and then some!

• RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I do. Sadly. Two things I need to STOP doing: taking breaks from running and regaining weight :)
  • christyprunner
    Options
    I do. Sadly. Two things I need to STOP doing: taking breaks from running and regaining weight :)

Sooooo me!
    Seriously, both of those.
  • christyprunner
    Options
    I deferred my Chicago entry until next year... For a couple reasons.
    A new goal is to get to starting line 40 lbs lighter.
  • christyprunner
    Options
    I have done weight watchers with success in the past but don't want to pay for meetings again when I know I can do this. I just need to commit and log the good here... Consistently.
    Also need to get my mind right with running again!
    Would love some friends to do this with!
  • k_perlinger
    k_perlinger Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have also wondered if my weight could be slowing me down. When I started this journey nearly 3 years ago it was with the idea of getting down to 145. I'm 5'11 and at my low point I was 159, currently sitting at 170. Weight Watchers tells me that a healthy weight is anywhere between 143 - 179. The longer I'm on this journey the more I'm convinced that 145 is not sustainable (for me) if I were even to get to that point. Unless I get a handle on my diet that won't be a concern I actually have to face though. I've been on the struggle bus longer than I've been on this actual diet/exercise journey :#
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have just over 30lbs to lose.. I'm hoping my training for my half and my full will help with this...
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I've lost a bit over 40 (closer to 60 really). But I've got about 10lbs that's been off again and on again. While I'm much lighter than I was when I started running, I feel like the back on weight has been slowing me down. And I'm already slow!
  • christyprunner
    Options
    I have also wondered if my weight could be slowing me down. When I started this journey nearly 3 years ago it was with the idea of getting down to 145. I'm 5'11 and at my low point I was 159, currently sitting at 170. Weight Watchers tells me that a healthy weight is anywhere between 143 - 179. The longer I'm on this journey the more I'm convinced that 145 is not sustainable (for me) if I were even to get to that point. Unless I get a handle on my diet that won't be a concern I actually have to face though. I've been on the struggle bus longer than I've been on this actual diet/exercise journey :#
    Soooo right there with you on the struggle?
    How can we get going????