Fasting Methods

Options
Hi, I thought I would let you know of some of the different Intermittent Fasting Methods that I have tried:

Every Other Day diet by Dr Varady - Dr Varady is a respected researcher and author. Her method is to eat whatever you want one day and 500 calories on the alternative fast days. Her studies show that people usually only eat 10% more on their non-fasting days.Her studies also say that 500 calories on a fast day are as effective as 0.

5:2 & Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat are both based on 2 - 24 hour fasts a week. 5:2 allows 500 calories on a fast day and Pilon has 24 hours without food - whichever 24 hours that works for you. Pilon's book is an excellent resource on fasting. Here is a documentary on 5:2 http://www.documentarytube.com/videos/eat-fast-and-live-longer-bbc-horizon-2012

It is really much easier for beginning fasters to go 24 hours without eating. For example, you eat breakfast and lunch, skip dinner and breakfast the next day, and then eat lunch again on day 2.

The other fasting styles limit eating to a certain window or time period during the day: usually between 2 (Warrior Diet)-8 (lean gains) hours. These methods include doing fasted workouts before eating.

I have never heard of any fasting programs that puts a limit on how much water should be drunk during a fast.

I lost 20 pounds doing Eat Stop Eat (For about 3 months - 4 years ago). I tried Varady's every other day diet for a week. In some ways I like it better than fasting twice a week because because your body gets used to the fasting better.

There is an Intermittent Fasting group on MFP http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting . People are doing various form of fasting there.

The longest fast I've ever done was 6 days on juices and 3 days on water (coffee/tea).

What Dan is doing is very cool, but it is much more stringent than the other fasting protocols. Most fasting protocols allow any types of foods on non-fast days. Some say to limit calories to TDEE and some put no limits on calories on non-fast days.

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I did the 5:2, but failed epically by over eating on the 5 days! I then did the "every other day diet" and did lose weight doing it - it worked really well and I did lose weight, but I was eating carbage cr*p on the "feast" days so after a while (a) I got fed up fasting every other day and (b) felt it probably wasn't healthy because of my bad choices.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I understand. 5:2 stopped working for me after 3 months because I found ways to eat around it. I almost always eat healthy though (I'm sorta fanatic).
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I should have added Dr Fung's fasting protocols for type 2 Diabetes. I haven't tried this. (I have awesome blood glucose PTL.) He puts his type 2's on 1-3 weeks of water fasting. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/ This Dr has a huge cure rate for type 2. He found most of his patients couldn't stick to low car diets, so he uses fasting instead.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Hi, I thought I would let you know of some of the different Intermittent Fasting Methods that I have tried:

<snip>

What Dan is doing is very cool, but it is much more stringent than the other fasting protocols. Most fasting protocols allow any types of foods on non-fast days. Some say to limit calories to TDEE and some put no limits on calories on non-fast days.

What I have found out is that I even "nibble" on food during a fast, I get lowered results. I don't fully know why. I was talking to a lo-carb friend of mine tonight and he does water fasts and he said the same thing.

That's why I only do water and tea. A true fast rests the digestive system.

Dan

• nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    That's why I only do water and tea. A true fast rests the digestive system.

Dan

This makes sense. Many so-called 'fasts' aren't, but are simply another type of calorie restriction.

This isn't a nit pick, simply observation.