Annoying plateau

Options
sfinsc
sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
I've hit a weight plateau...argh! I'm not losing any weight, but since I began running about a month ago, I can tell I've lost inches. I've had to tighten the armband of my phone holder and my running shorts almost fell off me today. So I guess I'm losing inches but not showing it on the scale.

Some info: I'm on a 1200 calorie diet and haven't had any problems with it. I'd like to go from my current 137.6 to 130-132. Any suggestions? Thanks for reading! :)

Replies

• mary6468
    mary6468 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Your body just might be adjusting to your running routine. It sounds like you are still seeing progress through reduced measurements just not on the scale yet. And since you are so close to goal your weight loss will slow down.

And make sure you're fueling your body for the running.
  • sfinsc
    Options
    Thanks, @mary6468! I guess I'll just keep on keeping on.
  • lindadprice
    lindadprice Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau for the last challenge but I wasn't focusing as much. I would stop counting calories. Now I'm back on track. If I can hit 168 than I know I'm doing better cause I was stuck at 172,171, and 169 for two months. Will see
  • sfinsc
    Options
    Plateaus are so annyoing, @lindadprice! You can do it!
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've hit a massive plateau...8 months and the scale is finally starting to move again. It didn't seem to matter if I was strict or eating like a 'normal' person. Weight wouldn't budge.

For me I think some of it has to do with focus and motivation, (so maintenance is certainly a win) and some has to do with a few medical issues I have to deal with. I've also been doing some research on settling points, which states your body only like to lose so much weight at a time (about 10%) before it starts to resist, eating at maintenance for a while, then moving back into a deficit MAY help move your body back into weight loss mode.

I'm currently experimenting with calorie cycling. I've read a couple different theories on how to do this, some propose two weeks on low cal two weeks at maintenance. What I'm currently using is 2 days a week at maintenance, 5 days a week on low cal. While still having a calorie deficit for the week, it gives our bodies a sense we aren't in a period of scarcity, and it shouldn't need to be conserve energy as much.

I realize there is a strong 'it's only about calories in vs. calories out' in MFP. But our bodies are complex, and it's their job to keep us alive during famines and periods of extreme scarcity. Giving it a few cues that food is still abundant may help.

Bottom line in my experience is we all are different, some people can lose hundreds of pounds virtually in a straight line, other of us experience many stops and starts. Some of us do well on low cal, other's low carb. Weight loss in my experience is about experimenting until you find what works for you, and when that stops working, tweaking the formula until you start getting results again.

Good luck!
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    ^ I agree with the above post about things being a bit more complex than calories in vs calories out. I hit a plateau after 4 months (lost 15 lbs) and then...nothing! So after a month of trying I gave up and decided to just eat a maintenance and enjoy it. I started again after 3 months (with a coach this time), and a different tactic. Drop calories SLOWLY at the beginning, you will lose. When one week things start to stop going, drop your calories by 50-100, keep doing this as weeks progress and sometimes bring up the calories again if things go too fast again. Don't stay at the same level for too long. I dropped 7 lbs effortlessly in my 8 week program and 8 inches (my BMI is 23 so I'm already fairly lean)! I cycled calories between workout days and rest days...so 4 days of high calories when strength training and 3 days of low calories on rest days and my calories ranges differed each week. Sometimes I did some cardio to get things moving again. It's small tweaks that make a difference and not being to drastic from the get go. I'm eating more than I did when I lost my first 15 lbs by dropping my calories super low from the get go, and I'm losing at a faster pace. I'm not worried because it's the inches that matter. If I didn't lose inches, that might be a problem. I'm also hitting my macro goals daily which is a huge part. I know people on MFP would say, "you weren't in a deficit if you stopped losing"....but..do you really think I forgot how to weigh/calculate my food after a successful 4 months??? Why is it that after 3 months of maintenance (and still weighing my food), I successfully maintained?? AND why is that when I started dropping my calories again in July and still weighing my food the same way, that I consistently started losing again then?? It's hormones I believe. You have to have the CICO math straight, but there's this hormone factor that'll hit you in the face if you are too drastic from the beginning of your diet. My profile picture is 8 weeks difference. I've been dropping fat since then.
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I'm currently stuck in one of these. Can't get out of the 182-184 area. And my mini goal is to be 174 by Halloween. I'm thinking of starting a Whole30.
  • mary6468
    mary6468 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A_Dabauer wrote: »
    Bottom line in my experience is we all are different, some people can lose hundreds of pounds virtually in a straight line, other of us experience many stops and starts. Some of us do well on low cal, other's low carb. Weight loss in my experience is about experimenting until you find what works for you, and when that stops working, tweaking the formula until you start getting results again.

Good luck!

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
  • rockstar53
    rockstar53 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It has been 6 months that I have been in a plateau. I haven't found what works yet for me. LOL. I keep trying different things. Ate more for the month of August. Changed up workouts. Eating less for September. Started a running program. I am now set at 1630 cal. Not eating exercise back. Will see how that goes. One thing I know…I am not giving up. I will beat this!! ARGH!! LOL!