How many miles will you go before you fuel midrun? Do you always carry water on shorter runs?

Options

Replies

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Reading everyone else's methods, I feel a little pathetic. I bring some sort of fuel for 10+ mi runs, mainly since I'm still trying things out to find my optimal fuel for races. I eat before most Saturday runs which are my long runs and also my only morning runs. If it's less than 5 miles I won't eat but if it's more I'll have something.
    I'll bring water for anything over 5 miles. I'm also relatively new to distance running (9 months) so maybe that's part of it? The water isn't really to drink but to mainly rinse my mouth, I'll bring drinking water for over 8 miles.
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    FitFitzy - I'm similar to you but worse. I bring water on all runs over 4 miles and I actually drink the water. I'm a very salty sweater and I sweat a ton. I bring fuel on my long runs only 12+ miles, but I had a really bad midweek 10 mile run this week that made me think I might want to bring stuff with me on 10 mile runs as well.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Can i just say one thing: I am terrible about hydrating. I run 10 miles in the heat without drinking. I play tennis for hours and take a few sips on a few change-overs.
    I got a kidney stone.
    Now, I know they say that the development of kidney stones has more to do with what you take in (foods rich in oxalate, such as spinach) than what you do not take in (water). But I have very little family history and I am quite healthy. So, I cannot help but be a little suspicious that maybe my lizard tendencies had something to do with it.
    Trust me, you do not want a kidney stone. Mine struck in the middle of the night. I felt what I thought was a cramp in my side. I figured cramps equal dehydrated. So I got out of bed and went downstairs for a drink.
    By the time I got back up stairs, I could hardly move and I was vomiting. It was so painful, I thought it was the pain causing me to vomit. (Turns out, it is just another symptom, for another reason altogether) I knew what it was because of where I felt it, and so I called feebly to the wife to get up and help me to the hospital.
    She looked at me, pitiful lump that I was on the bathroom floor, and basically accused me of being a wimp.
    "You know," she says, "Jimmy-Lee [her coworker] had a kidney stone in the middle of the night. I think he drove himself to the hospital."
    Fortunately, when I started to sob aloud, she relented.
    The next day, she comes back and she says: "My bad. Turns out Jimmy was in such pain he could not even walk. So he crawled down the hallway of his apartment building, and down the stairs, and he knocked on the door of a complete stranger -- in the middle of the night -- and begged them to drive him to the hospital."
    I know that, for myself, I try to stay quite hydrated, now.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have been experimenting with many different foods lately while running and just before running in order to see how my stomach handles it. I have also been running with 40 oz of water on all my runs but only because I am training for an ultra and will be carrying them during the race. Before this, I would not carry or eat anything on a run of under 90 minutes.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I don't take any water for runs less than 10 miles. For 10 - 20 miles, I take a 10 oz bottle, which I can refill. For +20 miles, I break out the hydration pack.

I don't generally carry gels for runs less than a half marathon. If I'm doing 15 miles or more, I take one gel after the first hour and one every 4 miles after that. If I'm doing a long, slow, training run on the weekend, I usually eat a bagel or toast while I'm running the first few miles (not for everyone, I know, but that's how I roll. And, if I could keep coffee warm in my water bottle, I'd probably take that, too.)
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I don't refuel until around the 10 mile mark. I could do a full half without refueling but it's just my preference to give me a little kick that last couple of miles. As to water. I take water on EVERY run. EVERY jog. EVERY walk around the corner. At 95 degrees and 85% humidity it is a must. I'm sweating before I even get out the door most days.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »

For some reason I can't explain, I also eat 5 whoppers (malted milk balls) before every run. Probably just a excuse to eat them.

Glad you clarified that because my initial thought was that you were eating 5 hamburgers before each run!

lol, that's exactly what I thought!
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't bring water or plan on water stops unless I run over 13 miles. If I find a drinking fountain, that is always a plus. I usually won't stop unless I'm running over an hour. I've done 19 milers with no water before- it was cooler outside in the later fall/winter. I don't use any sort of "fuel" (to eat) on any training runs. During a race, I will drink water and/or gaterade every 2-4 miles.

I like to eat before runs over 2 hours :)
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I experimented with a little snack on a recent long-ish run (for me) - 9 miles. I really don't like gels, etc., so I chose dried cranberries. It was awful. I can't handle chewing and running... I'm starting to reconsider gels. :neutral:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    janiep81 wrote: »
    I experimented with a little snack on a recent long-ish run (for me) - 9 miles. I really don't like gels, etc., so I chose dried cranberries. It was awful. I can't handle chewing and running... I'm starting to reconsider gels. :neutral:

Most gels are truly awful when you take them 15 minutes before a race. They taste a whole lot better 5 miles into a run, when my body really needs them.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    janiep81 wrote: »

Try out a few different brands and flavors. I don't like Hammer, and any "fruity" flavor makes me gag. But there are several flavors of GU that I actually like.
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Early morning runs of less than an hour, I don't fuel at all beforehand unless it's intervals or a threshold run, when I'll take a caffeine gel before heading out. I don't fuel on the run unless I'm carrying water as my gels are not isotonic and are unpleasantly sticky in my mouth if not washed down. I only carry water for runs over 2 hours, or 90 mins if it's a workout, but this is only so I can take my gels.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Context - my longest run to date is a half, which I've done several times.

I never fuel before training runs. On an empty stomach, I'm good for 7-8 miles (1hr - 1:20ish) before I start to hit the wall. If that's my goal for the day, I take a caffeinated gel with me as a precaution, but I rarely need it. Anything longer than that and I fuel a bit more often, every 5ish miles depending on the run/course/race.

I never take fluids on my runs.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    Can i just say one thing: I am terrible about hydrating. I run 10 miles in the heat without drinking. I play tennis for hours and take a few sips on a few change-overs.
    I got a kidney stone.
    Now, I know they say that the development of kidney stones has more to do with what you take in (foods rich in oxalate, such as spinach) than what you do not take in (water). But I have very little family history and I am quite healthy. So, I cannot help but be a little suspicious that maybe my lizard tendencies had something to do with it.
    Trust me, you do not want a kidney stone. Mine struck in the middle of the night. I felt what I thought was a cramp in my side. I figured cramps equal dehydrated. So I got out of bed and went downstairs for a drink.
    By the time I got back up stairs, I could hardly move and I was vomiting. It was so painful, I thought it was the pain causing me to vomit. (Turns out, it is just another symptom, for another reason altogether) I knew what it was because of where I felt it, and so I called feebly to the wife to get up and help me to the hospital.
    She looked at me, pitiful lump that I was on the bathroom floor, and basically accused me of being a wimp.
    "You know," she says, "Jimmy-Lee [her coworker] had a kidney stone in the middle of the night. I think he drove himself to the hospital."
    Fortunately, when I started to sob aloud, she relented.
    The next day, she comes back and she says: "My bad. Turns out Jimmy was in such pain he could not even walk. So he crawled down the hallway of his apartment building, and down the stairs, and he knocked on the door of a complete stranger -- in the middle of the night -- and begged them to drive him to the hospital."
    I know that, for myself, I try to stay quite hydrated, now.

I've had kidney stones and still little baby ones I can feel them moving thru now and then.
    My doctor did say hydration and salt can definitely play a factor depending on the type of stone you have. Sodium increases the amount of calcium excreted by the kidneys. Hydration is a factor for uric kidney stones as it can decrease the acidity by diluting the urine. also, too much protien can lead to uric stones.
    We were never sure if I had the calcium or the uric so now i have to be careful
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I never take fluid on a run, but for long runs (over 10 miles) I usually plan my route so I will pass a drinking fountain or more. I made an exception to this only once last year and I felt the need for water.

I never fuel on a run, but I haven't run more than about 14 miles. Back in 2006 when I trained for a marathon I think I did use a gel on the longest training runs and in the marathon itself. I will use them on the bike in a triathlon or long bike ride--I don't really like any of them, but some are much more palatable than others.

I will do a 6 mile or less run without eating anything, but I usually prefer to have at least a yogurt or banana first.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If I am running over 5miles I will eat something about 30mins before I head out and take water with me. I am rebuilding on my miles after finally being able to run again and will try out some GU's. I used to take sour jelly beans with me back in the day, mostly sucked on them until gone.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I carry water on anything over 8 miles or any distance in temps over 90 degrees. On long runs (slow trail runs), which might last 4 - 5 hours I'll bring food. Real food. Pierogis, pot pies that I make in a muffin tin so they are single serving, crackers, nuts, hard-boiled eggs, etc. But I will eat something every hour.

If I run to eat and eat to live, am I running for my life?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @jchite84 You take pierogies on your trail runs? That, right there, is awesome. You just made my day.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For runs over one hour it's jelly beans for me. Every color. Yum!
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Unless it's ridiculously hot, I don't carry water for runs shorter than 5 miles. If I'm running 5-10 miles, I'll carry a handheld water bottle, and for longer runs I wear a 2-bottle hydration belt (one bottle of water and one of diluted Gatorade...and I take a swig of one at each mile, alternating between the 2...I'm a little OCD about it actually). I run mostly in rural areas where water would otherwise be inaccessible, and I sweat like crazy.

I don't pay much attention to what I eat before a run unless it's a race day, in which case I'll have coffee, a banana, and a PBJ about 60-90 minutes beforehand. I generally take fuel (Huma Chia gels are my current fave) around mile #7.

Also, I always have a cinnamon hard candy or sugar free bubble gum in my mouth when I run.

I think I might be high maintenance. :#