New here

Options
Ta_tch
Ta_tch Posts: 6 Member
Hi everyone!

I created my account on MFP two weeks ago and yesterday I, finally, decided to take advantage of that and focus on my weight loss. I have to lose almost 160 lbs and the idea that I have to lose a whole person to be in what is considered a normal weight for someone of my age and height, this frightened me a lot!

Now that I decided to better control my lifestyle, I think a great way to start is to walk more often and focus myself on what I eat. I'd love to make new friends and learn new ways to live my life in a healthier way!

Having said all this, I hope you all have a great week! :)

Replies

• Loosing63
    Loosing63 Posts: 668 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hello and congratulations for taking steps in the right direction. I totally understand how 160 lbs to loose looks like a frightening big task. Maybe you can take on this task in smaller steps, like 20 lbs for the first short term goal? Some people think it is a great idea to work towards a reward to reach each of these short term goals. (Think mani/pedi, massage, spa, new hairstyle, new wardrobe...etc.) The most important thing is to log EVERY SINGLE bite or sip you take. This alone makes most people drop weight right from the start. First, because you actually realize how much you eat (or drink) without even thinking about it. Second, because you might skip that little treat just so you don't have to log it. LOL!
    I wish you focus, strength and determination on your journey to a healthier you, and remember:
    Every journey begins with the first step!
  • Loosing63
    Loosing63 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    If I would recommend a Leslie Sansone DVD for you, it would be the " Mix + Match Walk Blasters" which contains 10 different mini-walks. Each mini walk is 10 minutes long and you can put together your own workout. You can just do 10 minutes of a gentle, no sweat walk, or 30 minutes and more depending on your fitness level. You can also pick from different styles. So you can do the gentle walk or a higher energy "kick and jab" or "interval boosts" for example. :smile:
    The DVD is available at Walmart, Target or amazon and the price is around $10.00.
  • Ta_tch
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions! :D

For now I'm doing the one mile walk, which lasts about 20 minutes. Only with this exercise I sweat tremendously. I prefer to start small and over time increase the time / intensity of the exercise, I want to avoid hurting myself since I don't do any physical activity in a long time. Thanks for DVD suggestions, I'll look into it!
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hi Ta_tch...welcome to MFP and our Leslie forum. If I had to recommend one DVD it's 5 Day Walk Plan. This is one DVD with 5 Days worth of walks on it-1-5 miles and 5 different toning workouts too. Leslie has a preloaded workout plan for Mon.-Fri. you can follow that or customize your own workouts any way you like. Wishing you
    the best on your new journey!!!! Sue
  • Ta_tch
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion and the support! I wish you all the best!!!
  • anita257
    anita257 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do you LOG the walks with Leslie's DVD's in your MFP? "aerobics, low impact" seems too general for me. my favorite is the "3-mile walk"; each mile increases in intensity. I can do it in a really, really small space. I live full-time in an RV.
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Welcome Anda257...good to have you here!!! :)
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    anita257 wrote: »
    How do you LOG the walks with Leslie's DVD's in your MFP? "aerobics, low impact" seems too general for me. my favorite is the "3-mile walk"; each mile increases in intensity. I can do it in a really, really small space. I live full-time in an RV.

I use Aerobics Low Impact because my HRM is closest to that one. Leslie herself recommends Aerobics General but that registers the burn too high for me. You need to play around with it for a couple of weeks to see which one works better for you. All of Leslie's workouts are done in a fairly small space which is really great for those of us who have smaller spaces and no room for "equipment." Enjoy!
  • as5811
    as5811 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ta_tch, starting slow is a good idea so not to get injured. Keep at it & it won't be too long before you find you'll be able to walk more & at a faster pace. Just keep at it. Don't get discouraged, once you see some weight come off and build up your walking you'll feel so much better & have more energy.