Low blood sugar and counting calories

Options
brittster52
brittster52 Posts: 28 Member
hi!! So I'm a type one and if you look at my diaries I'm really good about logging calories, however when my blood sugar drops incredibley low and I need to overload on the carbs I don't usually count them. I'm talking my blood sugar under 50 but I was wondering if anyone else did this and does anyone know how having blood sugar affects how your body burns calories, or metabolizes. Thanks!!!

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I log them, but I setup a separate meal called "Treat Low Blood Sugar." Also, I use glucose tablets because they have a high carb:calorie ratio and they act quickly.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I log all my hypo treatment. The body doesn't differentiate calories to treat a low and "regular" calories; an excess of either can cause weight gain.

• jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am also a user of glucose tabs- I used to binge to treat a low, if i'd go low in the middle of the night I would wake up remembering eating peanut butter by the spoonfuls which easliy racked up the calories. Now I keep glucose tabs everywhere, my purse, my nightstand, my gym bag, my desk at work- 3 or 4 tabs is 45-60 calories and brings me back up to where I need to be. I still log them though.
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I log them as a low blood sugar meal. I can't say I'm always accurate. I have also been told that the body sees a calorie as a calorie and will store it as fat if there are too many. We don't get any breaks just because we need the glucose. I use glucose tablets but also use regular food to treat to help keep my budget down. Frequently I use skittles because they are 1 carb each, easy to count and are super cheap. I can often get where I need to be with only 5 skittles (I'm super sensitive to carbs). I buy the big bags and then just put them in the circular icebreaker candy boxes and keep them with me all the time. They don't melt and don't get smooshed in the ice breaker box.
  • brittster52
    brittster52 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm not very carb sensitive so when I'm crashing I usually need quite a bit to bring it back up. I think it's because I exercise so much. It usually takes me about 60 carbs to come up from a low (low meaning the 50-60 range) thanks for the tips :)
  • Colorful12
    Colorful12 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I lose control I use a low as an excuse to binge. When I feel stronger I go for a juice box. While I carry glucose tabs everywhere the older I get the more my palate and teeth hate them! A limited portion of anything is good for me. Finish the box, wait the veeeeeery looooooong 15 minutes and test again. In the middle of the night I have juice and peanut butter but I'm apt to pile on calories when I'm tempted to scoop it like it's 8ce cream!
  • kasaflyer
    kasaflyer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Same here (type 1) I thought I was experiencing lows from exercising hard but then I discovered that I need to plan ahead test before, test during and test after exercise when necessary. I have reduced the insulin I take according to what my exercise and nutrional goal is for the day. I'll walk between 3 and 5 miles a day and I swim 30 to 45 minutes 5 days a week. I keep Motts fruit chews in my pocket they are 80 calories and 10 grams of sugar each. I'll take one or 2 packs if I'm low they work great and I continue with my activity. I log them as a snack.
  • Colorful12
    Colorful12 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There is a great book by a type 1 athlete and diabetes coach who is also a CDE named Gary Scheiner. Book is "Think Like a Pancreas." He also wrote a book for diabetic atletes. He is at all the conferences. Also check out Ginger Vieira s book " Your Diabetes Science Experiment." She is a t1d health coach and former weight lifter. I haven't got it down but Gary said to reduce the bolus before your meal by half and to drop the basal about an hour before exercise. That has helped me a lot.
  • MelissaSheklian
    MelissaSheklian Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Anyone use a pump or CGM? I track the calories even when correcting for lows but use my CGM to change basal insulin rates almost daily. My numbers stay in range when I'm really eating right but it seems like there's always adjustments to be made either to eating, insulin, exercise-it is one massive balancing act
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have a pump and CGM, but do not and will not change basal rates that frequently. Without isolating the basal, how do you know that it is the culprit? It could just as likely be your I:C ratio that is wrong or your correction factor. For someone that eats the same number of carbs at the same times every day, that might not matter. But if not, then tweaking basals will lead to highs or lows as eating times change and as carb amounts change. That defeats part of the benefit of a pump.
  • ppatick
    ppatick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was given a good tip by a nutritionist years ago to treat very low blood sugar with a candy pack that has no protein or fat. I found the individual packs of Welch's Fruit snacks work well for me, easy to carry, and have 19 carbs each. I can easily go down to 40 without feeling it..
  • Crumleygirl
    Crumleygirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I hate going over because I needed juice or candy. I use juice or soda generally, sometimes candy. Sometimes I just don't log them or forget trying to come up.
  • DaDisplacedYooper
    Options
    While still obese I had trouble carrying candy to treat lows because I would eat it when I didn't need it. For years I carried Airheads because I hate them, they are cheap, and you can find them even in gas stations for a buck. Now I can carry candy I like and leave it alone until it is needed to treat a low. I am a chocoholic, but chocolate isn't the quickest choice for low BG because of the fat. I carry Rieson which is a chocolate covered caramel. I buy a really big bag is pour it into the well on the car door below the arm rest. Sure I loath having to treat a low, but at least I can enjoy the treatment now.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/riesen-chewy-chocolate-caramel/ID=prod3252212-product