High blood sugars for days

Options
Hello guys! My blood sugars have been at a steady 250-300 for the last week. I upped my basals a little and I always count my carbs with the MyFitness app but literally nothing has changed.
I exercised a little less last week and started birth control again (not sure if that does anything to BS). I eat a very little amount of carbs, I'm not sure what the problem is. Any thoughts?

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    These probably sound like silly questions, but just to be sure: Have you tested for ketones? Have you taken a correction bolus? Assuming yes, do you do that when you eat or not? If not, does the correction bolus have any effect whatsoever?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It could be the birth control pill. I found this article from OneTouch's website: http://www.onetouch.com/articles/ourbodies

It might be a good idea to give your endo/gyno a call and discuss whether there's alternate birth control options (or how to approach adjusting your insulin dosages)
  • Crumleygirl
    Crumleygirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Could it be your food count? Proper correction and food ratio is important to keep me level. Also cod you be insulin resistant? They think I am and I went from fighting highs to fighting lows
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @Crumleygirl The insulin resistance (i.e. type 2) doesn't normally start so suddenly. It is more gradual. I'm a "double diabetic" (i.e. I have both type 1 and type 2) and have experienced the onset of type 2 while a type 1.

When I was diagnosed with type 1 in 1995, the treatment was not as advanced as it is today. We used something called the "exchange diet" that boiled down to a set number of carbs, meats, and fats at every meal. Every breakfast was the same, every lunch was the same, and every dinner was the same... snacks were the same amount of food at the same time every day. Insulin was the same amount at the same time every day. The meal plan was way too much for me, though. I gained 20 lbs. in the first month, 120 lbs. in the first year, and was more than 110 lbs. heavier within a few years after getting type 1.

So you can see I was gaining rather quickly, though the rate of gain slowed over time. Gradually over those years, my insulin needs went up. It wasn't sudden, but after 3 years and a lot of insulin dose increases, I had an inpatient study done to determine just how resistant I was (I think the endocrinologist didn't believe it... she probably thought I was eating way more than I was supposed to and that is why she thought my BG's were so high even with that much insulin). It was supposed to be 5 days, but by the 3rd day, the endo was convinced I really was super resistant to insulin and made an official diagnosis of type 2 in addition to the previous type 1 diagnosis.