Puree ideas please

Options
Wondering what creative things you did at puree stage. Puree meat sounds so gross to me. I'm thinking beans but want to have other ideas for backup in case beans are too gassy for me.

Replies

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I made what I called my protein root mash. In a crock pot I cooked:
    1 acorn or butternut squash
    1 sweet potato
    1 turnup
    2-3 carrots
    1 onion
    1 head of garlic
    1 package of turkey or chicken sausage
    1 can of low sodium chicken or veg stock
    Season how you like it. (I used jerk seasoning)

Cook on high until everything is soft. Purée in blender or food processor. I then too half of it and added some coconut milk to thin it out into a soup. I portioned everything and put some in my freezer and in my fridge. You can add or take away any of the ingredients depending on your taste. I also added some unflavored protein powder right before I ate it (after I heated it) to add extra protein. I learned the the powders get weird when they are cooked.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Soups are your friend in the puree stage! You can have so many different varieties and flavors, and you can add a scoop of unflavored protein powder to the mix to make sure you're meeting your protein goals. I did tomato basil, cream of mushroom, cream of broccoli, chicken broth, butternut squash soup, pumpkin soup, and some pureed black bean soup. All very good and super easy to make from most recipes online.

I also liked sweet potato mash and mashed sweet plantain with melted cheese over top.

I sort-of pureed tuna in mayonnaise, but even that didn't turn out so well. I wouldn't really recommend pureeing meat unless it's in a soup already. Get that protein from the powder; it's much easier.
  • AceOfSpada
    AceOfSpada Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks!!!!
  • denicejo
    denicejo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i was allowed soft cooked scrammbled eggs. my favorite was ricotta bake. i'm sure you can find the recipe floating around on the web. don't knock meat in a blender! I hit puree stage right in time for christmas and i wasn't going to eat eggs and beans while everyone enjoyed a feast. i put roasted turkey, a little gravy, borth and mashed potatoe in a blender and although it looked bad it was amazing!
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of Dannon light and fit greek yogurt, egg salad with the egg diced very small and worked in with a bit of mayo and light sour cream, refried beans, and premade deli soups smoothed with an immersion blender, heated, and then added unflavored Musclegen protein powder added to them (really liked broccoli and cheese, chicken noodle, and clam chowder in those early days).
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I ate the pureed baby food in the pouches (still do). Easy way to get variety, lots of savory choices. I like Earth's Best, Peter Rabbit Organics and Plum
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    Thanks everyone. One week until surgery for me. Ahhh!
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Just plain pureed meat made with water or broth would be gross IMO. But you can dress it up to make it tasty. I would take meat + flavorful sauce and puree it, then warm it up in the microwave, usually with some cheese to melt on top. It tastes just like a casserole, just without the crappy carb stuff like noodles or rice. I found the little packets of flavored tuna and salmon very good starting points -- also small cans of chicken and turkey. Here are some combos that I liked a lot:
    --chicken with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese
    --thai spicy tuna with thai red curry sauce
    --turkey with peanut satay sauce and jack cheese
    --salmon with lemon dill sauce
    --shrimp with Frank's Hot Sauce & bleu cheese
    --ground bison with bbq sauce and cheddar cheese
    --sardines with masala sauce and Swiss cheese
    --pork carnitas with green chile and queso fresco
    I was on purees for four weeks . . . spent a lot of time experimenting!
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am getting sleeved 12/7 but the diet post lap band was similar (I had mine removed in 2011). I ate a lot of pureed soups - split pea, lentil, black bean, "cream of" styles, and then pureed chunkier ones (think Campbell's Chunky styles or homemade), stews, chili. Pureed chili with a dollop of lite sour cream was my favorite. Pureed tuna or salmon with a little mayo worked well for me too. I think even one meal I pureed a can of Chef Boyardee ravioli (I do not recommend this nutritionally, but at the time I was desperate for something other than soup!). I remember pureed roasted chicken and turkey (with either a little broth or gravy) being better than say, red meat. It was kind of like stage 1 baby food that is just chicken - actually better because you can still use seasonings.

There are a lot of medical and dental conditions that require a soft foods diet. You can Google pureed or soft food diets for lots of ideas. This one has a pretty good list http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics/diet/pureedentreesalads.cfm but there are a ton more sites.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I did a pureed turkey chili. I was only able to eat about 1/8 to 1/4 of a cup but the flavors were what got me through
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I puréed chicken with an Indian makhani sauce. I also puréed beef hash from a can. It sounds terrible but at that point the beef flavor was a wonderful break from the sweet protein drinks or yogurt.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    This is a great blog/site with a TON of ideas for all different stages.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    This is a great blog/site with a TON of ideas for all different stages.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Thank you!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I did a Mexican thing that turned out yummy...
    Start with a slice of polenata (I used the kind you find next to the eggs in the grocery store)
    TB of well ground taco meat, (whizz it if you like)
    Pinch of shredded cheese
    nuke it for 30 seconds or so
    dab of plain greek yo
    dab or guac
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and tomatoes