One Year post-Surgery

Options
rpyle111
rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
Today marks my one year anniversary of my Sleeve surgery. I had the surgery at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, with Dr. Arthur Carlin as my surgeon.

My life is so much the better for the changes I made in preparation for the surgery, and the complementary effects of the surgery on my new way of eating, exercising and living.

d3u30pdsx1nh.jpg

gblib2v15vat.jpg

Starting the Bariatric Program in April of 2014, I was ready for a change.

Most of my pre- and post-surgery tale has been told in this post:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10123987/six-month-ramblings/p1

I hope it is worth the read, but here is my main advice for those starting the process:

1. Find a Bariatric Center of Excellence or copy one’s plan. My insurance requires a Bariatric Center of Excellence, and as I looked into that requirement, I find that that certification means a great deal. It requires a solid pre-op plan, including nutritional, psychological and exercise components of the plan. I give great credit for my success to the plan I was presented with at the Orientation session. If you have a choice, use a Center of Excellence. If you are not in one, find a plan from one and follow it as much as possible (while still following your surgeon’s plan).
2. Buy into your surgeon’s plan. There are many parts of a plan that may not be as important as others. I made the decision early on to do what I was told without pushing at the edges too much. I decided to be a good follower in this case and let their program take me where it would. I was very successful with this model.
3. Hit the pre-surgery plan HARD! With 180 pounds to lose, I realized that the 6-9 month honeymoon period that the surgery gives me would not be enough to hit my goal before it got harder. Every pound I could lose before surgery was one I didn’t have to lose afterwards. I would not have expected to be as successful as I was, but I still think that putting in the work helped my ingrain the habits and behaviors needed for post-surgery life made a huge difference post-surgery.
4. Find a way to get exercising. I have had very little in the way of loose skin problems. I believe I am very fortunate to be in this position, but I alos think regular exercise helped that along.
5. Add some MFP WLS friends. As you read through the postings in the WLS groups, take note of people whose writing and comments resonate with you. Add friends from all stages of the process so that you can see what the day to day realities are. Seeing food choices as people progress through the process can be very enlightening and give you ideas for when you are there yourself. You will learn from the veterans, and give information to those behind you in the process.
6. Give yourself a break. As I became more active here, I wanted my interaction with others to be helpful and supportive. As I watched myself give advice and comfort to others, I realized that I would never be that kind to myself. I try (and don’t always succeed) to treat myself with the same kindness and support that give to others who have strayed a time or two.
7. Strive for regularity over perfection. Whether it be intake (food) or burn (exercise), you will never be perfect. Don’t let a less than perfect day lead to anything but doing your best at the next opportunity. Do the next right thing and forget the failure.
8. Learn, learn, learn. I find the main forums at MFP to be pretty hostile to the WLS process, although that seems to be changing a bit. I don’t spend a lot of time posting there, but I read a ton and have learned a whole lot about nutrition, metabolism, exercise, weightlifting, etc. I feel ready for my maintenance time, with my goal to be on a path towards improving my physical health while maintaining my weight using the information I have learned over this past year.

Since hitting my goal of 240 pounds (I am 6’5”) in April of 2015, I have been mostly successful at maintaining within 5 pounds up or down from that goal. I got my blood work done in preparation for today’s 1 year followup appointment, and as far as I can see, everything is within normal range. Since starting the process, I have stopped taking Blood pressure, cholesterol, and ED meds; I no longer need to wear support stockings for some vein issues in my leg, significantly dropped my CPAP pressures and have very little pain from my arthritic hips. I am back to walking the golf course every chance I get, my fitness and energy levels are vastly improved, and I even had a short lived return to playing softball (until I fell and separated my shoulder in my first game back!)

Initially, I kept losing down to about 233 as I slowly added calories trying to find a happy maintenance level. Unfortunately I also took a ‘vacation’ from diligently logging, and have not been successful at restarting that (I believe) crucial part of weight control. I feel like I have been lucky in settling into an eating pattern that is not resulting in gain, but I believe that this is a temporary success and I am setting myself up for failure. I wish I could find that inner peace that my good buddy, Thaeda, seems to be homing in on.

I have maintained my habit of weighing every day or two and being able to accept that data without a severe emotional reaction. I am happy that I am able to do this, as I believe it has a subtle effect of helping me to tighten up food control when I see the weight creeping toward that Target+5 range.

I am so happy for the life changes that I have achieved.

To all of you looking to start the process or in the early stages of the process: Take advantage of the pre-surgery time you have! Don’t agonize over how long it takes to get to the surgery part! USE that time!

To those of you post-surgery: Own your progress! Successes *and* stalls. Both come from your efforts. When I look at my progress from 425 pounds to 235 pounds, each and every time my weight loss flattened out, I could tie it to my eating and exercise activities. I know that there are medical issues that are different than mine, but I firmly believe that a hard objective look at your own diet and exercise logs will tell the story most of the time.

To all: learn as much as you can. I don’t post on the main forums, but I read them pretty voraciously. There is a vast wealth of nutritional and metabolic information out there. It takes a decent BS detector to wade through it, but sticking to the things that have medical or scholarly references yields a pretty clear picture for me. I fall mostly into the IIFYM/CICO crowd, and these groups and links were very informative and guiding for me:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I truly believe that everyone can be successful at this, with a rational and eyes-open view of what success is, learning to love yourself and give yourself a break, and diligent, hard work. As usual, I am open to questions (and likely to overthink and overshare in my answers) and friend requests.

Love to all,

Rob

Replies

• candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    What a great story! I am 2 years out and I hit my goal! The maintenance part is very hard as I have let some of my old habits creep back in. I am working on myself still and it will be a constant project. I am up 20 from my lowest weight but 5 from my surgeons goal for me. I want to be healthy. I want to feel strong.

I needed to read your inspiring story and realize how far I have come and how much better life is now!

THANK YOU!!! BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALWAYS!!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Rob! Reading this post makes me so happy! I have really enjoyed watching you go through this journey from pre-surgery to now. You are really an inspiration, and I am so happy that you have a better life for all that you have gone through, you worked hard and you deserve it!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    candacet36 wrote: »
    What a great story! I am 2 years out and I hit my goal! The maintenance part is very hard as I have let some of my old habits creep back in. I am working on myself still and it will be a constant project. I am up 20 from my lowest weight but 5 from my surgeons goal for me. I want to be healthy. I want to feel strong.

I needed to read your inspiring story and realize how far I have come and how much better life is now!

THANK YOU!!! BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALWAYS!!

Thanks, Candace.

That reminds me of another thing I wanted to say:

Find a way to be happy at whatever weight you find yourself. It can be so hard to pick a goal weight, and I see many people who are so much more healthy, fit and mobile than they were, yet they seem to focus on not being at goal.

Smell the flowers on the side of the road where you are now, even as you work to get on down that road!

Rob
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Great job.
  • Gleno97
    Gleno97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you Rob. I find your story very inspirational and motivating. Thank you for sharing.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Great post my friend! Congratulations on your success!
  • bookerlr
    bookerlr Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Rob, your words are really resonating with me. I am coming out of a darker place in my journey. Feeling like I'm failing and just not being where I "should" be. Thank you for sharing. Points 6 and 7 really hit home. Thank you.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    First, Congratulations! You have owned this process and created your own success. I know you must be proud and you definitely should be. Second, thanks for being an inspiration. You remind me that I am going to get out of this process what I put into it, and if I don't put in the effort I will not get the results. It is up to me to create my success. Third, thanks for the links. I can see they are going to be very informative and helpful to me.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success. You are such an inspiration.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Such an inspiration! What I love the most about you and people like Thaeda and Asia and so many others is your simply genuine and share it all (the good, the struggles and the real) - it's so very much appreciated! Owning the journey and enjoying every moment because we are on a path to health and "life" is so very important! Thank you <3
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Wow. What a journey you have had. I have always been impressed with how much you lost pre-op. I did not take the prep work as seriously as you did and looking back, I wish I would have-- but nothing can be done about it now. :) Your advice is sound-- get a good plan, work the plan, find people who can support you along the way, and keep yourself on track by continuing to make choices that keep you in good health. GREAT STUFF!

As to me "homing in" on peace with my body and food-- it is a daily path. Some days I do better than others. I logged food for so long that I can mentally add up my calories (even if I am not writing them down) and for reasons I have yet to figure out, this brings me less anxiety, so I am continuing to do it. I think what matters most is that each person knows what works for them. If you have stayed within 5 pounds of your target since April, I would say you have pretty well found what works for you (because I do not know about you, but I NEVER kept weight I lost off for more than a few weeks before the regain started).

I so appreciate your concern for others and the way you have shared what you have learned graciously and with much compassion. I am delighted to see you doing so well and look forward to journeying with you as we all coninue to navigate the path of health/wellness.

Peace to you and your dear ones. :)<3
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on this first important anniversary! You've come so far, so well, and you have all the right tools (and the right attitude) for keeping yourself on track going forward. :)
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! And thanks for sharing your story, very inspiring, you have really worked so hard on your journey!
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Amazing journey!
  • SUNKELLY
    SUNKELLY Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is why you are an inspirational & down to earth person!! I enjoy hearing your stories & congratulations on your first anniversary!!
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks Rob! You are, as always, such an inspiration! :) Congratulations!!