10/1 Day 217 Thursday

Options
Auna37
Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
What's the Problem with Sitting Too Much?

What's the problem with sitting so much? Our first daily challenge explores this topic, so please spend a few minutes checking out the resources here: http://www.quittingthesitting.com/sitting-disease.html

And why not stand up while you read it?

For those of you who were with us in May we have an alternative challenge for you all! Those of you who stuck with us probably already have that 1 thing and if so let’s start working on a 2nd thing. Also for those who would like to explore different things for their 1 thing, the alternative challenges will be here to give ideas.

Today’s Alternate Challenge:

Instead of sitting inside bored, go outside and play in the yard or go to a park and get on a swing set!

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,969 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I've been enjoying taking a walk around campus as soon as I get to school in the morning. It's lovely and cool, and the first day of fall I enjoyed seeing the first flight of geese on one of these walks.

BTW - In May I decided to work on not sitting when teaching, and so far I've hardly used the chair in my classroom this semester.
  • connieannw
    connieannw Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Since I'm never sitting inside bored. I stood up and read the article.
  • Mamafred
    Mamafred Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It is rainy here so spending my lunch hour on the walk track and elliptical at the gym.
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I spent lunch time on dinner duty, patrolling the hall, and went for a quiet walk in my tea break.
  • Juliegray1963
    Juliegray1963 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Got off work early and instead of sitting and eating I lifted weights and walked 2 mikes.
  • Juliegray1963
    Juliegray1963 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ughhh! MiLes not Mikes.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Lots of activity going on and a great way to kick-off Sit Less Boot Camp! I walked on my treadmill this morning while reading my "book" (iPad...Boys in the Boat...great read!) and will read another chapter on my treadmill soon. Reading while walking on my treadmill has been transformational for me and a great way to easily reach 10,000 steps a day.

Regarding the Sitting Disease link Auna posted, it's shocking how many diseases and chronic illnesses are related to being sedentary. Heart disease, strokes, diabetes, depression, several types of cancer (including breast and colon) and liver disease appear to have a connection with sitting too long. None of us want or need to stop sitting altogether, but there are lots of ways to sit less and make sure we don't stay seated for too long.

Looking forward to a great month!
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I took a 5k jog when I got home instead of sitting down right away.

Tomorrow I will be spending 12 to 16 hours (or more)at the hospital while a very close friend is having heart surgery. I plan to take some walking laps around the outside of the building. Perhaps 1 lap per hour if I can.
  • frogfan88
    frogfan88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I actually try not to just sit around anyways. As a stay at home mom just Lou going all day is easy to do. But I do d that when I sit to much I start to feel stuck, lonely, overwhelmed. I have found that doing anything but mindlessly watching tv or my phone has helped me be not only a healthier but happier person. My family also. the kids love to go on walks or to the park or even play I door active games. They seem to be more engaged then if I just turn a tv on or give them a toy and walk away. They love the attention and interaction when mom is busy and letting them help. My 3 daughter wants to learn to do everything I do. So I want to teacher her good habits young.
  • chaugen1943
    chaugen1943 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My 4hour volunteer job requires walking up and down the hall in a hospital. No sitting. Now I'm standing to read the computer words. For a whille, I forgot,but now it is a plan. Walk daily,never liked sitting to watch TV at night. Going to take a drive tomorrow---3 hours RT. So need to look for walking when I get there.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Was not able to go outside and play due to work constraints and Mother Nature, but I set my FitBit to buzz me every hour on the half-hour to get up from my desk and walk my floor (my building is a city block)
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Great job, Everyone!
  • mjks_mom
    mjks_mom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Started late. Stood while read article