Triathlete with an open water fear...Tips please!

Options
Runningirl7284
Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
Hi ladies! I am new to the Triathlete world only doing it a year now and coming up on my third tri. I was a runner for years and have come to love swimming & biking if not more than running as it is easier on the joints (which I tend to have an issue with at the age of 30) My problem is I am decent in the pool can swim a 400y in 6:40 but my sprint tri I swim a 10 minute 400y due to I can not get my breathing in control and get anxious running into the water with all the other people at once, after swallowing water I really couldn't get my breathing under control and had to swim with my head up 2/3 of the race. I have swallowed a lot of water in this last weekend's tri which ended up making me feel nauseous the rest of the race. It is embarrassing and really upsetting as I train so hard during the week and I need to overcome this. People are in front of me that I smoke in training.... I finally find my stroke/breathing on the way back to shore, which is too little too late for a decent time. This cost me placing in my first tri by 7 seconds and getting 1st place in my second tri by 10 seconds which is very upsetting for me. I train with a Master's group in a pool 3-5 times a week, around 3000y each practice, which includes drills and speed. The open water in my area has a lot of bull sharks currently in it so I can not get anyone to go with me to practice and it is a safety issue to go on my own. Any tips greatly appreciated!

Replies

• MaryGrabie
    MaryGrabie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The best way to overcome a fear of open water is... to swim more in open water. Do you have any other places where you can practice? Nearby lake? Swimming in open water is so much different than in the pool. It would be great if you could practice it - it would make you feel more comfortable.
    I know exactly what you mean by drinking lake water. I had an anxiety attack during my last tri and I had to finish the swim in "don't get your hair wet" stroke. So it is a good idea to read some tips on how to deal with anxiety/panic attacks in open water.
    Another thing I would suggest - make sure when you train you also practice other strokes, as you may need to use breaststroke or side stroke if front crawl happens to be impossible. Once you feel stronger with other strokes, you will feel more comfortable and will also finish faster.
    Good luck!
    Marysia
  • cjgirlie2005
    cjgirlie2005 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound weird but the thing that helped me in open water is closing my eyes while looking down and breathing every 3 seconds. I look when my head comes out of the water and not under, since all u seem so see is darkness anyways. It kept my mind off of the fish or abyss down below.