Disappointing workouts?

Options
Angel_Grove_
Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
edited October 2015 in Social Groups
Tonight's workout was such a STRUGGLE! Two weeks ago, I busted out 5x5 at 75 lbs on bench like a boss, and last week, I did 80 lbs 5x5 and only failed on the very last rep. Tonight, I stayed at 80 and failed the last rep of sets 2 and 3, dropped back to 75, and STILL only put it up 4 times the last two sets... so disapppointing!

I did rock squats at 5x5x100lbs, though I guess. BB rows at 80lbs were meh, though I technically got them done.

At least I got in there and did it, I suppose!

Ever had a day like that?

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i've been having a lot of them. in the back of my mind is this little conscientious ticker-tape thing, counting the weeks/months i've gone without missing a workout and saying 'it's probably time that you took a rest week.' but just so long as at least one lift is rewarding me still, it's a thing that i often ignore.

rest weeks do help sometimes though. no question on that.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    One thing that Yoga has taught me: my body's limits are different everyday. Some days I can push myself further, some days I need to pull it back... the important thing is doing what is right for me in that moment. Therefor, the only disappointing workouts I have are the ones I don't do.

Don't get too down on yourself. The overall trend is UP!!! :)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    The overall trend is UP!!! :)
    So much this, trying to judge yourself on the results of a single workout is not going to go well. Some days there are super awesome workouts and some days you just kind of wonder why you showed up.
    Also how was your form. I find that if my form happens to be sloppy then the weight I move is much lower. For example one day I had to do a 20 lbs deload on deadlifts and noticed on the form video (that I foolishly only took the last set) that I was keeping the bar too far from my shins. Just something to keep in mind.

• Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my form felt off the whole time, but I couldn't figure out what I was doing differently. I usually never have any form issues on bench - it always just feels right. I tried to adjust some, but it just never really clicked last night for some reason.

I've been hitting it pretty hard. Only lifting two days (tues/thurs), but have had 5ks the last two Saturdays, 4 mile runs with the running club on wednesdays, and some yoga thrown in there. I think I worked out 6 days last week and 4 workouts in 3 days this week (workout b on tues, tai chi/Yoga fusion and the 4 miler on weds ansmf workout a yesterday). Today is a total rest day for sure, even if someone did bring donuts in for breakfast...

Thanks for the tips and encouragement, ladies! I was just feeling super frustrated last night. And a little embarrassed cause some guy had to rescue me from under the bar. Twice. (To be fair, he didn't HAVE to, I would have managed just fine. He just happened to be walking by.)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    that is a lot, and yeah; maybe your cns just needs a few days to catch up with everything you've been throwing into its in-tray lately. i know for myself that inability to 'get' form that used to be natural is one of the classic signs of needing a break.

unfortunately, it's probably also the one i have the hardest time listening to. i keep going 'i just want to get this RIGHT first - and then i will rest'. and then i do another half-assed unsatisfying workout, and say it again . . . it's counter-intuitive to me to leave something alone when it's still 'wrong'. but a year of lifting has sort-of-taught me some things about not making stuff harder for myself than it needs to be, if that makes sense.