Alcohol to correct a high

Options
okulyd
okulyd Posts: 147 Member
Last night was my area's quarterly sports and exercise meeting. This meeting is all type 1s who are trying to carry on with an active lifestyle. Many do triathlons, marathons, soccer players, kayakers, paddle boarders and swimmers. We even have one member whose chosen sport is mountain climbing! So we meet to share how we manage our dosing & food for our sport.

Anyway, last night I learned that 1oz of alcohol (vodka, tequila, gin, whisky) can be used to treat a high blood sugar. This is because the liver always releases glucose but it can only do one thing at a time so it will stop releasing glucose to process the alcohol. Members swore that this worked quicker to bring blood sugar down than taking a shot. I haven't tried this but thought it was good to know! Feedback from the group was that beer and wine don't work as well for this purpose.

I also learned that analog insulins were designed to mimic how our bodies digest food. So that means that they are supposed to last for 4 hours because that's how long it takes to digest a meal. Thus analog insulin (Humalog, novolog, Ephedra) don't work well to correct a high because they are supposed to work over a 4 hour period. They peak at 1-2 hours which is good but when you are high you want to come down immediately not wait 1-2 hours to get back to normal. Since everyone is different they may work longer or shorter than the designed 4 hours. Affreza on the other hand does work quickly (in and out within 1.5 hours with peak 15-30 minutes) so that is also really good to correct a high. Unfortunately you can't take a small dose of it.

Replies

• jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of that either...but i would have a hard time doing a straight shot of any of those without something sweet to chase it with which would defeat the purpose :)

Let me know if you try it! Im intrigued! Im also jealous of your group! I would love to be able to meet up with other type 1's
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm aware of the ability for alcohol to prevent BG from rising, which could cause reductions in BG with properly dosed basal insulin. But I've never heard of using it as a method to treat highs. Honestly, when I'm high, it would take too long to reduce with alcohol. This is because, if the only variable adjusted is whether glucagon is active, then the factor for reduction is time. With enough insulin, I could drop my BG 300 points in an hour. By blocking glucose release from the liver to prevent BG "input" to blood and continuing with insulin to remove glucose from blood, your BG only reduces at the speed of typical glucose output.

As far as liver releasing glucose, it's the reason we need basal insulin as type 1's. Our beta cells are gone, but pancreatic alpha cells still exist and still make glucagon. Glucagon triggers the liver to release glucose into the blood stream, and alpha cells take some cues from beta cells. If beta cells are triggering insulin production, alpha cells slow or stop glucagon production (because your BG must be rising if you are making insulin, so you don't need glucagon). But since our beta cells don't exist any more and are not making insulin, our alpha cells continue to kick out glucagon all of the time. The liver acts on that glucagon unless it is unable to do so (i.e. it is processing alcohol). If you are low, additional glucagon (in addition to what your pancreas is already making) means additional glucose output. You might have heard that glucagon will not work when you are drunk... the reason is because the liver cannot act on the glucagon (whether your own or an injection) while processing alcohol.
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Jamie, like you said I don't think I'll actually try this as hard liquor isn't really my thing. Also the only time I drink is in the evening after all of my tasks for the day are done. Usually at the end of the day is not when I am chasing a high. However I do drink wine very frequently and I do wonder if the alcohol keeps my daily insulin lower than it would otherwise be.

Midwest, I think you're right. The people in the group that were saying that this worked to bring down blood sugar surely had basal insulin on board either via pump or via lantus. I also think everyone is different so maybe I pump out more glucagon than you or vice versa. Thus the 1oz shot may or may not be enough for me specifically. I think they were using the alcohol to treat moderate high of 150-180 rather than 300 or 400.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, that makes sense with a high of 150-180. The other thing that makes sense, to a degree, is that it works faster. That makes sense with the insulin they are taking. I take Apidra, which works faster anyway. Besides... I can't have liquor whenever I'm high. I work, drive, etc. and there are times that my schedule is literally planned to the minute (if you are wondering, yes, I do schedule time to pee on those days). I can test my BG and take a bolus in 18 seconds (sometimes less). Carrying around and consuming liquor would be a challenge since I would have to find a safe (legal) place to consume it. I'll grant that 1 shot is not enough to make me legally intoxicated or to substantially slow me down, but I cannot take a shot of liquor while I'm driving down the highway. I can, however, take a bolus of insulin.
  • DaDisplacedYooper
    Options
    I am anxious to try Affreza. I have an endo appointment coming up in early November. Based on my over the top tendency to analyze everything, doc is willing to have me be one of the first he prescribes anything new. I'll keep you posted how it goes.