Plateau?

Options
Athollass
Athollass Posts: 39 Member
I was sleeved on June 10, 2015 and was averaging about 2 lbs per week weight loss but this past month has been a real struggle with less than 1 lb per week. Is this normal? I do see NSVs such as loss of inches and smaller sized clothing. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do?

Replies

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Very normal. Those first couple of months you're only taking in something like 400-600 calories. By month 4, you're probably eating 700-900 or more (which is fine, you can't sustain the other long term, and you certainly can't do much, activity-wise).

Also, as you start eating more bulky foods, you may also find wider normal variations in your weight loss due to water and the contents of your gut (that's the polite version. :) ).
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    At the stage you're in this is normal. If you are starting to exercise more, you are most likely gaining muscle while losing fat. Since a pound of muscle is physically smaller than a pound of fat, your scale may not move, but you will be losing inches/sizes. Measure yourself while you wait for the scale to start moving again. And believe me, it will start moving again.

Pat
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've slowed down significantly in the weight loss department as my activity has increased, but I'm still punching new holes in my belt to keep my pants up
  • Athollass
    Options
    Thanks, this all makes sense! I probably need to readjust my perspective and will keep measuring. The past few months exercise has been walking but I am starting to use hand weights for my arms and have a couple DVDs for workouts at home. Thanks again for the encouragement!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I just love it when we worry "I'm only losing a pound a week!" And it's really common to lose less as we go along - and even to hit a temporary plateau several times. I'm sure that most, if not all of us go through it.

But there are so many people who would just love to lose a pound a week. It's just that we're used to such spectacular results, that "only" a pound a week sounds puny to us. Aren't we spoiled!? Isn't it fabulous!! :laugh:
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That is perfectly normal. Your body is readjusting. I had numerous times in my journey where the scale either wasn't moving or was moving extremely slow (less then 1/2 pound a week) but generally I would see more changes in my body during those times and seemed to drop inches fairly quickly although the scale wasn't moving. I know it seems odd that you can lose several pounds and not change sizes and then the scale comes to a screeching holt and all the sudden your clothes are falling off of you. lol
  • TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This is such a good read for me right now because I am in the same boat. I was sleeved 4/29/15 and my scale is creeping
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    While it is likely to be just an example of the non-linearity of the weight loss process, I always did a hard look at my behaviors when I was in a stall and usually found some things I needed to tighten up on.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    While it is likely to be just an example of the non-linearity of the weight loss process, I always did a hard look at my behaviors when I was in a stall and usually found some things I needed to tighten up on.

I think this is great advice. I'm not saying that is what is happening to you, but I know for a fact it happens to many people.

If you weigh and track your food closely, just keep doing what you are doing. If you don't, track really closely for a while. You might find you have gradually started eating more than you think. It doesn't take much. 100 calories a day is 10 pounds in a year. And 100 calories a day is very, very little food.

• Athollass
    Options
    Thanks all.