10/12 Day 228 Monday Sit, But Don't Stay Seated!

Options
Auna37
Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
The total amount of sitting we do throughout the day has a big impact on our health, but so does how long we've been sitting at any one time. If you've been sitting for an hour or more, that's too long! Make a point to stand up, move around, or walk a little throughout the day, every 20 to 30 minutes or so. Setting an alarm on your phone or downloading a reminder to move app can help also.

Today's challenge is to really focus on getting up out of the chair throughout the day. Don't sit too long! Besides....we hardly burn any calories when we sit. Just standing burns about twice as many calories as sitting. Moving about or walking slowly burns even more calories. Minimizing how much you sit will help you achieve your weigh loss goals!

And please tell us, what strategies did you use to remember to get up and move throughout the day? Share your tips and help others sit less!

Alternative Challenge:

You can plan active dates with friends and family. Such as calling up a friend to go to the gym or play a game!(Badminton soccer ping pong etc) Or go for a walk or go check out the town together.

Replies

• truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have no problems moving around in the day, its evening paperwork and TV times that I struggle with, and a husband who moans if I'm 'fidgetting' as he calls it. I'll be interested in how other people keep on the move in the evenings.........
  • proudseal
    proudseal Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have no problems moving around in the day, its evening paperwork and TV times that I struggle with, and a husband who moans if I'm 'fidgetting' as he calls it. I'll be interested in how other people keep on the move in the evenings.........

Significant others can be a challenge! Lol I think we've all been there. Would your husband like to take a walk with you? maybe that would help you both feel more relaxed.
  • proudseal
    proudseal Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Today I'm drinking lots of water. It's good for me and forces me to get up and take bathroom breaks lol.
  • julie2038
    julie2038 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and work 12 hour shifts. So I had no problems meeting this challenge today!
  • Juliegray1963
    Juliegray1963 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I had the day off work (sort of) and was really tired but since I get little time at home to get stuff done, I focused on getting my cleaning done and kept moving.