Reflective/illumination gear

Options
kristinegift
kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
Hi all! It's beginning to roll into that time of year when it's darker later in the morning and earlier in the evening... I'm thinking I definitely need to get some kind of reflective vest and maybe some kind of flashlight for the places with unreliable street lights. Who has some great reflective and/or illuminating gear to recommend?

Replies

• 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I just upgraded my headlamp from a cheapy Duracell one I bought at WalMart to a Princeton Tec Fuel 70 lumen head lamp. Definitely helps as I run country roads to be able to see.

As for reflective things...I have an Amphipod reflective vest (roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/AMP113/amphipod-reflective-xinglet-vest/?cc=NA) and a pair of ankle wraps. My RoadID strap is also reflective.

And when I really want to make sure I'm visible, I wear a bright blue LED wrist band that flashes.

Only issue I have is when the on-coming cars hit me with the "what the hell is that?" high beams. Thanks, guys!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Most of my running jackets have automatically reflective stripes and I believe most come with some sort of reflective things.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have the amphipod vest too. I also have a red band that stays on my arm facing traffic and a flashing one for my ankle facing traffic. I have a cheap headlamp, it does the job but its nothing special. I saw some LED shoelaces that I wanted to look into a bit more but may be worth purchasing as well.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I use the same Amphipod harness that 99cImsntgr linked to. I've run a lot in the dark, and it reflects as well as anything I've seen runners wearing, better than most. Early on, I saw someone with a harness like this that flashed, and thought Way Cool! Turned out the flashing was reflecting my headlamp, which was set on strobe at the time. :p

The reflective patches on running clothing are better than nothing, but nowhere near as good as a reflective harness or vest. In particular, the reflective patches on shoes are just about worthless. They tend to get covered with dust, and how many drivers are going to be looking at road level anyway?

I used a cheap headlamp for a year and a half, and it was good enough to be seen. When I got mildly interested in trail running, I bought a Black Diamond Revolt on advice from a more experienced trail runner: llbean.com/llb/shop/85509?productId=1418061&attrValue_0=Titanium&pla1=0&mr:trackingCode=33707D6D-F4FD-E311-B7CA-90E2BA285E75&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=55725345680&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=kwd-20174692843&mr:ploc=9005674&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=20174692843&mkwid=L3XqBLP0_dc&pcrid=55725345680&qs=3091386_google&product=0PSF712000&cvosrc=cse.google.0PSF712000&cvo_crid=55725345680

If I read the fine print, the 130 lumens only shows up with alkaline batteries. I use the rechargeables that came with it, which top out at 90 lumens; but I'm on 75% power most of the time, so say 67 lumens or so. It's bright enough for me to see very well on the roads, and a head bob will flash my light at oncoming traffic (which isn't always a good idea). And I can see the poorly dressed runners much better with this light than with the wimpy 30 lumen headlamp I used before.

I also wear flashing red lights front and rear, just cheap ones that you can get at any running store. The ones with the easy switch to work use CR2032 batteries that are good for only 60 hours or so; I buy the batteries in bulk online much cheaper than I can buy them in local stores. I try to put one with fresher batteries on my back and one with older batteries on my chest, so I can see when the batteries die on the front light and be sure to replace them before the next run.

Light spurs became popular last Fall/Winter. I don't like them. Too many runners wear them on their upper arms, giving great visibility to the side, but not helping me see them much when I'm behind them or oncoming. They're better on the heels, or configured to have the light facing rear or front; but the cheap flashers do the job just as well.

My best advice: Find a group that runs socially in the dark. See what shows up on other runners, and buy that for yourself. See what is a dud in terms of visibility on other runners, and don't waste your money on it. I became a big fan of lights and reflective gear after I needed to get within 10 feet of some poorly dressed runners to see them in the dark. I'm a much bigger fan of the Amphipod harness after seeing how much better it shows up in my headlight than the patches on running tights and most running tops.

Lots of runners don't wear as many lights as I do, but I'm just a wee bit paranoid. The evidence I've seen while out running the roads indicates that there are a lot of drivers out there who don't notice all the things I would notice while driving. I don't want to be one of those things they don't notice.

• kristinegift
    Options
    I'll have to check out that vest since it comes so highly recommended! I have a couple clip-on lights that I have to dig out of a box (haven't needed them since I moved in June). I thought about investing in a reflective jacket, and then I remembered that I almost never wear a jacket out running. Thanks, all! (And anyone else: keep those recs coming!)
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My husband has a Black Diamond Storm headlamp, and it is much better than the cheap one I use. There's lots of options for reflective gear, I have seen some nice jackets, hats, etc that have an all-over reflective pattern. I have a small red blinking light that I clip on my back when running in the dark, I think it's made by Nathan and cost about $10, but my husband has commented that he can see it when I'm nearly a mile down the road (very flat, straight roads here).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i did just buy a glow in the dark jacket from Kohls.

here
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I found a jacket similar to this at TJ Maxx for $35 and it was the best $$ I ever spent!

https://www.fruugo.us/saucony-sonic-hdx-vizipro-jacket-womens/p-3948336-8948107?gclid=CNm89Y6HvcgCFQQKaQodjO4J8Q

It has LED strips across the front and back that are connected to a rechargeable USB device that hooks in the pocket. It also has reflective trim. It's basically just a shell so I wear it over my base layers in the winter. If it's too warm for a jacket, I just have a few blinking clip lights and a headlamp.

Also, check out NOXGEAR. I don't have any experience with it, but it was invented here locally and there was a night race last year where you got it at a discounted rate and then wore it for the race. It is pretty expensive, but looks to be pretty cool!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    i just saw that the gap has a line of reflective active gear
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I wear a Nathan Streak vest as it provides a good deal of reflective material front and rear. Additionally I use a small blinking led or two from Inova called Nite Ize microlight. As for a lamp, I wear a Wal Mart purchased Energizer 130 lumen headlamp. I have noticed if there are many bugs then wearing it on your head can be a pain as the bugs fly right to it. I actually cut the strap and sewed it into a smaller loop and use it on my water bottles. It brings the light low, keeping the bugs away from my face as well as below the fog when that is an issue.
  • kristinegift
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I found a jacket similar to this at TJ Maxx for $35 and it was the best $$ I ever spent!

https://www.fruugo.us/saucony-sonic-hdx-vizipro-jacket-womens/p-3948336-8948107?gclid=CNm89Y6HvcgCFQQKaQodjO4J8Q

It has LED strips across the front and back that are connected to a rechargeable USB device that hooks in the pocket. It also has reflective trim. It's basically just a shell so I wear it over my base layers in the winter. If it's too warm for a jacket, I just have a few blinking clip lights and a headlamp.

Also, check out NOXGEAR. I don't have any experience with it, but it was invented here locally and there was a night race last year where you got it at a discounted rate and then wore it for the race. It is pretty expensive, but looks to be pretty cool!

I've had my eye on that Saucony jacket for the colder months, but waiting to see if I can find it on sale from any US retailers. It's lovely and I love Saucony, but so pricey!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

I want a Tracer360 SO HARDCORE. I asked for one for my birthday last year, but they were out of stock.

As it is, I wear a top or jacket in a high-vis color (the jackets have reflective tape, too--Brooks Nightlife and Brooks LSD Nightlife), clip a reflector/blinking LED to the front and back hem, sometimes wear a headlamp (Black Diamond Storm), and have reflector stripes for my ankles. I also have an LED blinking armband, but it doesn't stay in place very well over the slippery fabric of a running jacket or a long-sleeved tech tee.
  • mbaker566
    edited October 2015
    Options
    i do love saucony and i saw a coat by north face where the whole jacket was reflective. expensive though even on sale.
    i ordered two 3m arm bands. coat is only somewhat successful. it's hard for it to glow, but it does give a soft glow and the glowing stripes are somewhat reflective too (and there is some reflective aspects to it too)
    i also have a saucony pony tail head band to keep the wind out of my ears that is reflective.
    and my gloves, i forget what brand, also has reflective stripes.

i have reflective and glowing stuff on my christmas list. i actually have a lot of running stuff on my christmas list :blush:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I've had my eye on that Saucony jacket for the colder months, but waiting to see if I can find it on sale from any US retailers. It's lovely and I love Saucony, but so pricey!

If you have a TJ Maxx nearby, you might want to pop in from time to time and check for it or something similar. I got mine when it was year out of date, but who cares?? They get a lot of good stuff in after newer versions come along and the prices are usually really good. I get a lot of my gear there.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    tj maxx is great for that.
    or you can cycle your Kohl's cash and coupons. I go in spend 50, get kohls cash and 20 percent off. do it again in a week. till i get what i need. and then I give the discounts to friends.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to neon colors when it is dark in the mornings and use my knuckle lights most mornings. They provide enough light for me to run safely and help make me more visible to vehicles as well.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I'm going to buy some knuckle lights since everyone who has them loves them. Right now I wear either a flashing clip on light at my waist or a LED flashing bracelet. I also have a flashing arm band that can be seen from front or back. Some of my clothes have reflective strips but not many. I've been eyeing up the reflective vests too. The upswing of running the same time every morning is that I people now expect to see me. I run in my neighborhood and see the same cars every day. I do hate it when they came at me with high beams, then I can't see the street or anything else until they pass me.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    The past few weeks, it's been getting dark as my running club does its workouts on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Tuesdays, there has been traffic; but Thursdays, we have been on recreational trails without motorized vehicles. I've worn lights, but most runners haven't.

I've noticed that the reflective gear does no good at all if no one has lights.

Oh, well. Next week we start running at a track with lights, and it won't be an issue any more.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    FWIW... I much prefer lights over reflective gear, and have used all of the following -

Nathan Light Spur - great idea, but fits some shoes better than others.
    51rRPyyjjGL._SY355_.jpg

Nathan Light Bender LED Band - works great as an arm band, would like another to wear on my calf for visibility from behind.
    51tHTg%2BkvZL._SY355_.jpg

Nathan Strobe Light - awesome as a clip-on bike light, not so great for running (too heavy, bouncy for me)
    Nathan-Strobe-Light.jpg

What I'd really like to find is a simple, ultralight LED that I can clip/safteypin to the back of my shirt/vest/jacket/whatever that won't bounce around.
  • kristinegift
    Options
    Update on what I decided to buy! I got the Amphipod vest with just the reflective straps, and I love it. I clip two of those Nathan strobe lights (that I had to dig out of my moving boxes from June... oops) to it, and so I'm really visible. I also just ordered a Black Diamond Gizmo headlamp so I can see the cracks in the sidewalk, fallen acorns, etc. that are on the ground. Hopefully this will be everything I need for running in the dark for the foreseeable future!