Skin tac and Dexcom CGM

Options
i'm thinking of trying skin tac to help my CGM stay on. I've read many different ways to do this. Wipe before insertion, wipe after insertion. Which way works best? And is it hard to remove the site when it dies?

Replies

• snapsh0t
    snapsh0t Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I currently use skin tac with my CGM. It works great. I apply it by cleaning the site with alcohol, let that dry, then apply the skin tac to the skin let it dry. I apply it in a donut shape as to allow for a clean insertion. I can wear the sensor for over seven days if I choose. As far as difficulty with removing, it's not too bad. It's only a little troublesome if I have to remove the day after I put it on. Hope this helps. =)

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I don't use Skin Tac. I use Mastisol and Tegaderm.

First, I put Mastisol on skin and give it a few seconds to start to dry (to become most sticky). In fact, I often will wave my hand back and forth an inch or so away from my skin to push air over it to dry more quickly.

Second, I'll insert the sensor and attach the CGM transmitter.

Third, while the Mastisol is still very sticky, I'll put a piece of Tegaderm film over the sensor and CGM transmitter.

I've found that the sticky Mastisol alone is not sufficient and the weight of the transmitter pulls it away as it flops against my skin. If I put Tegaderm and no Mastisol, the weight of the transmitter still pulls against the Tegaderm and the entire thing falls out.

Also, I'm using Sof-Sensor (sensors are discontinued as of 12/1/15, so I'll probably change soon to the Enlite, which will also require a pump upgrade).