:( just need some support

Options
AceOfSpada
AceOfSpada Posts: 47 Member
I was 6 days away from having surgery. I had been completely cleared on all levels. My hematologist had preventitively put me on blood thinners due to blood clots I had years ago. The hematologist wanted to do a specialized test before the surgery to make sure I didn't have a rare antibody that can occur called HIT 2 where heparin actually can work against you. The test came back that I actually did have this antibody and it was at a high level meaning even sitting here in susepetible to getting a clot. It can happen when you have been recently exposed to heparin and I had been taking it while on vacation for prevention.What it means is the heparin is working against me and actually making my blood more susceptible to clots. Only 5% of people react like this and I'm one of them.This means surgery with my levels that high could actually be fatal. Without question this meant that my surgery had to be postponed. I am being treated with a non heparin blood thinner until my levels return to normal. It however could take months to reach normal. I can't help but feel very emotional right now. I absolutely understand that I am extremely blessed that this was found before surgery happened. The other part of me, the part that I feel everyone in this group can understand is that of disappointment. All of you know this process is far from easy. You go through so many tests...do so many things to sacrifice, get prepared at work for your absence and then something like this happens 6 days away from surgery. Again I am so extremely happy that this was found before surgery, but I know all of you know that this process can be so emotional especially when you're doing everything the doctors ask you to do to make sure surgery goes safely. I am extremely blessed to have a boyfriend, family, and friends as a support system...but I know that my fellow sleevers on here understand to a greater depth what this process feels like. Just needed to let these emotions out. Im feeling down but in no way planning to give up. Afterall, it's not that surgery isn't happening. I just have to reset my heart to follow what my brain already knows...and that is that I need to make sure everything is safe before surgery. If you have read this far I appreciate it. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    That is so, so devastating Ace. I'm so sorry that you've had this hurdle put in your path after all of your work and anticipation. It isn't fair, but as you said, thank goodness you know, and will hopefully have a complication free surgery when you're able to do it. Take time to be disappointed, because you absolutely should be, but then dust yourself off and get back to it. Keep yourself safe, and keep rocking the pre surgery weight loss. You can do this, and you are strong. Big hugs, as I know this is something you were so ready to do.
  • lioykavsg
    lioykavsg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am so grateful that you have such a wonderful medical team that did find that out. However, I can truly understand your disappointment. We wait so long, follow the path, and with fingers crossed wait to get the approval. Good luck! I hope this delay is a short one!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    All of these trials will eventually pass. Be happy that you have a strong medical team in your side. Rock the pre surgery plan a little longer.

In a year this will all be a small anecdote in your surgery story!

Rob
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,688 Member
    Options
    AofS, So thankful they checked and found your HIT2 before surgery. Hope you feel better soon.

If it makes you feel better, I was over 60yr when I had my VSG and so wished I'd done it sooner. Even waiting a year, you're still going to be decades ahead of me. :yum:

I'm on warfarin and need to take special care before surgery. Glad they're taking care of you! Best wishes, Paula
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I know it is very disappointing. I had a last minute medical issue postpone my planned sleeve (for what ended up being about 4-5 months). At the time, I felt really deflated and devastated but I think it helped me in the long run because I had a better recovery and no complications from the surgery. Like Rob mentioned also, it really helped me to focus on ramping up the pre-surgery routine. Working on getting liquids in each day, really adding in more exercise, focusing on choosing healthier food options, etc. Best wishes and soon you will be able to look back at this and give the same advice to the next person who goes through a postponement. :smile:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I get the disappointment in having to postpone the beginning of your new, healthier life, but can I suggest you focus on this as an extended period of preparing for your new life? A lot of people on here had long pre-surgery processes and got into some really great exercise and food habits prior to surgery. Per what they posted, that prolonged pre-surgery process and habit forming time made things so much easier on them post surgery. This may very well be a blessing in dusquise in more than one way.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I would be SO BUMMED. Seriously-- that is disappointing. :( And also, like others have said, it gives you more time to prepare. I am a firm believer that everything happens just as it should-- this does not mean you have to happy about it (but it sure makes life easier if you are!). I am very glad they discovered the problem before you had surgery and that you are getting such good medical care. :)
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm with Pat. Turn this into a positive and reinforce the habits that will help you be successful.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am sorry. I know you are ready for that new life we all want and now you have to put it on hold. Maybe you can think of it in terms that the WLS is going to add decades to your life, so waiting a few months will be small in comparison.
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just saw your post here explaining things in more detail. I like Loriloftness' point about how you're going to be living so much longer that this weighting period will be just a drop in the bucket. We will be here whether you have surgery tomorrow, next week, next month, or in 2016 (or later, God forbid). This is a really good thing to find out because although it certainly could have been an issue with this surgery, it would have been worse had something like appendicitis or other unexpected surgical issue had come up. Hang in there my friend!
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I will keep you in my thoughts! Good luck! Please keep us posted.
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    UPDATE: I had my blood levels checked Monday and they have come down quicker than expected. They still arent where they should be but...progress! If all goes well I could possibly be able to have surgery in November. Thank you so much for the support. You know it means so much to me! I'll continue to keep you posted. -Natalie aka AceOfSpada
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! So glad to hear things are moving in the right direction. It'll be here before you know it - just watch :)
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    Fantastic! So glad to hear things are moving in the right direction. It'll be here before you know it - just watch :)

• joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Fabulous news!!! So happy to hear your levels are heading in the right direction - your surgery will be here before you know and keeping your seat warm ;) Noticed you are rocking the pre-op in the meantime, way to go!!! You're doing amazing!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,688 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Everybody looks amazing!

• seaghdha1072
    seaghdha1072 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Natalie glad to hear your blood work is moving in the right direction. We are all rooting for you. But the most important thing is that the surgery doesn't pose a risk for you. Keep us all posted on the latest labs. Your surgery date will be here before you know it!
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, the surgery will happen when the time is right. My surgery was postponed twice, and almost a year, due to medical issues.