Scared of excess skin!

Options
Ive always been "overweight.' i have a son who is almost two. Before I got pregnant my heaviest EVER was 180. i got up to 190 when I was about ready to give birth to my son, and a few weeks after my son was born I got down to 170. I didn't get any excess skin or anything. But now my son is almost two and about a month ago I got on the scale and was at my new HEAVIEST weight ever, 200lbs... eeek... Now, I am 190, and I am hoping to get to my goal weight by next summer. My issue is that Im soooo scared that Im going to have so much excess skin!!! The only exercise I get is chasing my toddler around and I go walking a few times a week... Any advice?

Replies

• kayejb519
    kayejb519 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi, I have no idea of your age but the look of your pic I would think at your age you should have no problem with your skin firming up after weightloss. Its just like your skin retracting after a pregnancy. I would only say to do it now because age does play a part in it because you lose elasticity with age. I lost a good bit of weight at 35 and had no problems but now with a 60 lb loss at 47 there is definitely a problem. With lots of exercise it is getting better but I have accepted the fact that I screwed up at 35 and gained it back! Good luck with your weightloss and remember, its more important that your healthy for your little one!
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am much older, and have yo-yo'd in weight over the years. I am very flabby already and the weight lost is showing in some more flab, so yes, I worry too.
    Think first of getting healthy, for yourself, for your son.

Think secondly of doing something for you when he is napping, after he goes to bed, or getting up earlier than him, if you think you need to do it when he 'isn't underfoot'. But honestly, a good video of cardio on the tv could be enjoyed by both of you! He would dance right there with you, and think he and mom were playing together!
    If you really want to change it, you will find ways. It doesn't take a consecutive hour out of your day. How about 6 mini 10 minute workouts?

As to the flab on me, I have read really good things about skin brushing and I it makes sense to me. Using a soft dry brush to massage and stimulate the areas, to improve circulation. Twice a day I do it, and have lost some inches, so I feel it is working! Honestly, it feels really good too!

Another thing you must remember is that the skin takes some time to regenerate. It won't just 'snap back'. I have read several women who are over 60 years old say that after maintaining their loss, they were still firming up 5 years later.
    This didn't happen overnight, and it won't go away overnight for all of us. Patience and dedication to the goal!

Good luck to you!
  • SvennsDream
    SvennsDream Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've lost 95 pounds and have 50 to go. I'm 51, so this is an uphill battle. Here's what I'm doing, although I cannot say how effective any of it is or will be:
    (1) I eat avocado, coconut oil, and other healthy fats daily. (2) I massage into my skin after every shower or swim an oil blend from the health food store marketed to pregnant women. (3) I massage coconut oil into my skin at least daily, sometimes twice. (4) I stay hydrated. (5) I wear a soft bra to bed. (6) I avoid GMOs, factory farmed meat, processed food, etc. I choose whole, organic foods. (Regular good eating stuff.) (7) I walk several miles nearly every day, and take a kickboxing class 3x a week. Hmmm... yeah. I guess I'm super concerned about the skin issues. Actually, I'm terrified.
  • barbbrinson
    barbbrinson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is great. I am on the same road. I am 53, have lost 56 and have a little over 90 to go. I am going to try your ideas. I am starting to feel so much better that I believe a little exce rice would help too. Thanks for your post. It helps
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Cupping massage is the best. 10 min. A day in each area and in a few weeks you tighten up and reduce cellulite. I purchased a set of two clear cups for $6 off Amazon.
  • Jennyfugett
    Jennyfugett Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Edit: Sorry. Did not mean to wake up this zombie thread. I did not notice the date.
  • lmflkf
    lmflkf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jennyfugett, I'm glad you did "wake the zombie" since I found a few things to like :wink:
    I can handle the underarms, it's the weird lower belly thing I've got going that drives me nuts. I'm hoping that core work w overall weight loss will help (I'm pushing 54) but as shilton01 noted, better to be flabbyish than fat...
  • maggiehealy969
    maggiehealy969 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am new here and the belly fat thing is on my mind so much. I am looking for all the info I can get to deal with this without surgery when my weight journey is complete. I agree though flabby trumps fat for sure
  • elmwmama
    elmwmama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds in the ten years after my husband died. I have 50 to go. I have very saggy skin and resemble the "after" photos of people who have had gastric bypass surgery. I will say this however... my weight dropped by another 30 pounds about 5 years ago and with some exercise my stomach, arms, and legs DID firm up some. Was there wrinkled skin under my derriere? Yes. I still had wrinkly spots on my stomach. But I know if I walk at work and walk the treadmill at the gym on weekends I can tone some of my body up. I hope so.
  • spatchin911
    spatchin911 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Glad this board is still somewhat awake as I have LOADS of excess skin. (Tho not as much as I used to after a bout of depression and self pity.)

I lost almost 80 pounds over a few years. I'm 68 years old, retired and not exercising at this time. 2 years ago I retired and moved from my home of 40 years in Texas to Arkansas as my DIL was having twins to add to the 2 GRANDS I already had. One twin was VERY small, the other was bigger but still small. After birth small twin and Mom spent almost 9 full months in a hospital 3 1/2 hours away from home. Gladly, now after 2 years or challenges we weathered that storm and everyone is pretty much ok and coping with challenges presented day by day.

Needless to say taking care of 2 households- 1 husband, 1 son, a toddler, 6 YO and 10 YO helped me forget my determination to LOSE. No time for swimming (my preferred exercise)
    Now I have gained 22 pounds back and am not happy about it. READY to start again!!!

Gonna start on firming up the skin so I can wear my old, new clothes!