Are you a morning workout person?

Options
I strive to be that person that can wake up at 5 am every day and get their workout completed. It would fit my schedule MUCH better! But I am not that person. Probably the furthest thing from that person really. I sleep until I've only got 15 minutes left to get ready before I have to bolt out of the house.

I found an article this morning that has some great tips to becoming a morning workout person if you're anything like me! Check it out here.

Do you workout in the morning? Do you have any tips?

Replies

• DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I strive to be that person that can wake up at 5 am every day and get their workout completed. It would fit my schedule MUCH better! But I am not that person. Probably the furthest thing from that person really. I sleep until I've only got 15 minutes left to get ready before I have to bolt out of the house.

I found an article this morning that has some great tips to becoming a morning workout person if you're anything like me! Check it out here.

Do you workout in the morning? Do you have any tips?

OMG! You must be long-lost twin. I have to leave the house by 7:15 a.m. every morning. I bolt out of bed at 7:00 a.m. , hit the shower, dress with lightning speed and am out the door. I eat breakfast at work. I can barely get to work on time, nevermind workout. I've tried it, but with the days being dark in the morning (I am in the Northeast) and early at night, I am entering "hibernation mode." I am proud of myself for going to the gym three nights a week to do my jogging on the treadmill. Maybe when I lose weight (i.e., have more energy), I can get some kind of morning routine going. I'd like to, but not a burning desire....yet(?)!
  • ChandalNicole
    ChandalNicole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It's been my constant battle all year! If you find a trick, let me know and I'll do the same! Lol

Great job making it to the gym still though! As long as you're getting it in! It's just a schedule thing for me. I work 7:30-4 most days (sometimes early or later; 6:30-5.. EW!) and that's a Monday - Friday schedule. I have class on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 5 - 8:30 and 9:00 am to 4:00 pm on Saturdays. Whew! When I have a good schedule going, which I've stuck to one for a couple weeks now, I workout 5 - 6 days a week. Jogging, Zumba, Pilates, Yoga, HIIT, weights.. But they're all rather short at only 20-60 minutes each. I try to have one or two low intensity days. It works but some nights I find myself working out at 10:30 at night after my day is finally settled and I can focus on me. It would just be much more accommodating to do it in the mornings before my day even really begins. I'm just not a morning person at all.
  • ForMe2No
    ForMe2No Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself a morning person either. I used to get up at the last minute and rush out the door as well. But I know if I wait til the evening to exercise...something will get in the way... unexpected errand or I need to cook now it's too late...I'm tired. I will find all kinds of excuses if I wait til after work. So I started on the weekend when I know I can go back to sleep or take a nap later if I need to. I got up at 6:00 am and went for a walk by that Monday I felt guilty if I didn't get up and go for that walk. So needless to say my rest days are almost never Saturday, Sunday or Monday. I don't have to be at work until 8:30 am and work is only a 4 mile commute so it works out for me.

So I have now become a little bit of a morning person except don't talk to me...lol. I'm up and out the door by 6:25 am or so and I now jog/run 1.5 as when I started 6 months a go I walked 1 mile. After my run I do about 20 minutes of arms and abs work. Sometimes in the evenings I do a Taebo tape or jog a mile with my daughter. This is considered a bonus if I get that second workout in. I have noticed that I workout better on an empty stomach in the morning or either I am just better rested because it takes me longer to run a mile in the evening than it does in the morning. I now find it hard to sleep in. Even on the weekend I am up early...it amazes me at how much I get done on a Saturday morning and I loving having the grocery store practically to myself.
  • lorengetsfit
    lorengetsfit Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the mornings! & trust me, I have not always been a morning person! It helps me to get all of my stuff ready the night before, so that when I get up I can get dressed and go. I also plan out what I'm wearing for work and having for lunch ahead of time so that I don't have to waste any time on doing so in the morning. I've heard of people moving their alarm so that they have to get out of bed to turn it off. For me, getting out of bed is the hardest part. I've also heard of people wearing their workout clothes to bed. It's definitely an acquired taste, but once you see how convenient it makes the rest of your day, you will love morning workouts! Oh last thing: At night, especially after a rest day, I'm super pumped to work out the next day and if I schedule a workout for the morning, it's a lot more likely to happen than if I go to work all day and then try to workout. I have more energy and drive to get it done
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If I sleep well, I can. I don't have a set workout schedule, but I plan to walk everyday during the week. For the most part, I don't eat lunch & walk everyday on my lunch hour as weather permits & then try to get in another walk after work. If I have plans after work, I'll treadmill in the morning.
  • ChandalNicole
    ChandalNicole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have class on Saturdays so I'm up earlier than normal as it is but I really should wake up earlier to get my workout in and workout on Sundays too. Tuesdays and Thursdays are generally my rest days because I have class so late but it'd be really nice to take Sunday off instead! I should try to waking up early on the weekends too until I can get in a rhythm. Moving my alarm may be key! I've done everything else so far! It's just the getting out of bed part! I wish I had an hour long lunch so I could go for a walk and be able to eat but I only have a half an hour. :( It's a real bummer. I'm going to try out these tips though! Here's to waking up early all next week!
  • curves2j
    curves2j Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I would love to be that person- but I am so so SO not
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm so not a morning person, but I wake up at 6 or 7 to go to the gym. It gets easier the more I get used to it! I just like to workout in the morning so then I have no excuses to put it off.
  • curves2j
    curves2j Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    ohmyllama- I may have to pick you up on that. Because- I won't lie- somedays after I get home from work- I have to talk myself into keeping my commitment. :)
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'd love to work out in the morning. However, I have kids to get ready for school and have to be to work by 7:30.
  • NoExcuses231
    NoExcuses231 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would love to be a morning work out person but I already start my day a 5am. After I get myself ready I am getting my kids up and ready to get out the door by 6:40am. I work all day, pick up my kids, and am home (on a good day) by 4:30. Then it's dinner prep, dinner, clean-up, play time, get kids ready for bed. I am finally "done" for the day at 8:30pm. My husband is sometimes around to help out but there just isn't enough time. Adding workouts to my routine would be great but at 8:30pm - no thank you. I wear my fitbit and get my 10,000 steps in daily but know that adding exercise would be a great addition.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I would love to be a morning work out person but I already start my day a 5am. After I get myself ready I am getting my kids up and ready to get out the door by 6:40am. I work all day, pick up my kids, and am home (on a good day) by 4:30. Then it's dinner prep, dinner, clean-up, play time, get kids ready for bed. I am finally "done" for the day at 8:30pm. My husband is sometimes around to help out but there just isn't enough time. Adding workouts to my routine would be great but at 8:30pm - no thank you. I wear my fitbit and get my 10,000 steps in daily but know that adding exercise would be a great addition.

Says "NoExcuses", hmmm.. ;)

Have you tried meal prepping your dinners during the week?
    I highly hiiiigghhly recommend having a marathon meal prep Sunday night, that way everything's all ready to go for the week and all you have to do is throw it together. It's a huuuge time-saver!
    Crock pots are also great for that, develop a "set it and forget it" routine in the mornings, that way after work it's all ready to eat, saving you the 30 minutes to an hour that you could use to squeeze in a workout. :)